Old Stihl 032AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BryanSchamber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend told me about this site. I've been scanning for a week or so. Lots of good info. I have a question for the stihl men. I have an older 032 that doesn't owe me a dime. My father purchased this saw when I was young. It never let him down. After his boys left home he quit cutting as much wood as he used to. I acquired the saw after looking at it sit in the shed for a few years. Needless to say it needed a little TLC. Had the carb rebiult and worked on muffler and put all new rubber mounts on it. I've been cutting with it for about 8 years now. I started having issues with it this last fall. I just put in an OWB so my cutting was going to pick up. I took this saw to small engine shop where this guy works on saws all the time. The saw still has 154lbs lof compression but it is spitting gas back in carb and soaking the air filter. In return, filter is collecting dust and bogging saw out. Had carb rebuilt to no avial. After talking with 2 other stihl dealers about the issue, they said the rings were worn. Is the saw worth doing much with? I will admit, I just purshased a 361. Man, what have I been missing. Love the new saw but the old heavy 032 has sentimental value. Thought it would be good to to use once in awhile. I have an 025 for limbing and cutting small tops. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.stihlusa.com/stihl_ownersmanuals/STIHL032_with_safety_manual.pdf
Here's a link to your chainsaw. I looked thru there to try and find a cause for your problem.Could not find one. I know on my older two stroke motorcycle. If the carb was spitting fuel out of intake the intake reed valves were worn or broke. I dont know if this saw has that. Maybe someone else will chime in or you could put this question up in the Chainsaw forum. You will be sure to get more experienced people to give you advice. Hope I helped somewhat! Good Luck on getting your dad's saw working good again!

Welcome to the forum.
I have the same setup. Grandpa's 032AV and a newer MS361.
I also had the same problem in my 032 of fuel flooding the air filter after a carb rebuild. One problem was I didn't set the height of the inlet lever correctly.
inletlever.JPG

The other was the new needle was not sealing. I reinstalled the old needle and the flooding went away.

The local stihl guru of the forum says that fuel spit back is caused by worn piston skirts.

If your sure the carb inlet needle is sealing, then it is piston shopping time on E-Bay.

I believe the saw is worth restoring to running condition if only for sentimental value.

Interesting that your 032 compression is 152#, exact same as mine.
Tested my 361 and it is 163# without compression relief and 120# using compression relief.

here is a link for the Workshop Manual and IPL

Stihl 030, 031, 032 Workshop Manual- http://www.mediafire.com/?dnwykggj3jy
scanned paper copy, so it is rough.

032 IPL- http://www.mediafire.com/?bm9m11bjnw1

Click on the blue 'Click here to start download...' link on left.

Disclaimer: The links are on my own account of a file sharing site. The Workshop Manual is made from a my paper copy. The 031/032 is obsolete in Stihls mind so their lawyers shouldn't bother me. All other Workshop Manuals of Stihl products should be asked for in the Beg for Manuals thread to keep the lawyers at bay.

olo 032av

Just got back in from cutting this morning. Working on a good size woods that had 80 red oak,white oak,and some ash logged out. It will keep the fire going for a few years. Been cutting wood and selling for a long time. The price of propane forced me to wood. All I can say is I should've put the OWB in 10 years ago. Thanks for the input on the old 032. The saw is in pretty good shape, as I've maintained it well. I'll probably dive into it sometime this winter. Didn't have time to mess with it earlier, i had to get cutting. I'll check out the carb, but I imagine it's time for a rebuild. What would we do without ebay?

Welcome to the forum.
I also had the same problem in my 032 of fuel flooding the air filter after a carb rebuild. One problem was I didn't set the height of the inlet lever correctly.
inletlever.JPG

The other was the new needle was not sealing. I reinstalled the old needle and the flooding went away.

The local stihl guru of the forum says that fuel spit back is caused by worn piston skirts.

If your sure the carb inlet needle is sealing, then it is piston shopping time on E-Bay.

I believe the saw is worth restoring to running condition if only for sentimental value.

Tested my 361 and it is 163# without compression relief and 120# using compression relief.

Disclaimer: The links are on my own account of a file sharing site. The Workshop Manual is made from a my paper copy. The 031/032 is obsolete in Stihls mind so their lawyers shouldn't bother me. All other Workshop Manuals of Stihl products should be asked for in the Beg for Manuals thread to keep the lawyers at bay.
I realize this is an old post. just wanted to thank you billyjoe jr for the booklet. i needed to adjust the carb setting couldnt find it anywhere until here. have a great day

Welcome to the forum.
inletlever.JPG

I too feel the need to give props to billyjoejr for the links to documentation. Looked everywhere with no luck, found this forum and was elated after reading your post. Thanks a million!

Back