Old veteran requests supervision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ain't terribly certain you should be up there at all brother!

Why so hasty to become pasty EZ?

Make like the natives n say fug it when it's hot out!

Get a sombrero or somethin?

Too dang hot out to go chasin the big siesta mate!

Chill with some Kona coffee man......

Jomoco

I want one of my fellow expoits in these matters to kick in somethin gosh darn it.

Bessie failed her smog test, got declared illegal, but all I needs a bag and a couple saws, 020 n 365 should do.

I'll do her this Saturday if some of my bro's man up?

That thing's way too dangerous for a novice EZ.

Jomoco

Are you still open for this Saturday?

Yeah, once Enterprise Rent a Car on N. Magnolia in El Cajon's got an SUV paid for n waitin?

Jomoco

It's funny how, even with all the hard years and miles on me, I can't help but think like a kid with boundless energy and confidence. Got sweaty, sticky and exhausted with not much to show for it. Though my dump pile keeps growing.

The new pole saw blade works slick on small stuff, but is too fine a pitch for larger branches. I see WesSpur has a nice selection in their catalog. Wouldn't mind trying their Fanno Gullet saw blade or Razortooth saw blade with the deep gullets. Perhaps it might be possible to grind some gullets in the blade I have. Anyone ever tried this?

If you are pretty good with your hands you can make a rope saw that can cut with out binding. Also there are a number of places that sell pruning blades for pole saws. If you have a pole saw blade that is not not that great spread the teeth and then sharpen them. If you widen the teeth a bit it will not bind. Thanks

You go killin yurself before I get there n I'll murder yu EZ!

Yur 73!

You've heard Let It Be!

At least a day or two?

Jomoco

I'm 74 but don't look a day over 73. Actually on schedule to be 75 in a few months. ;)

J--If you're serious about coming up, let's PM our thoughts on it. I'm available anytime. If Saturday is best for you we could shoot for a week from this coming Saturday, to give ourselves a chance to prepare and to see if there's anyone also willing to help. I can get a laborer for the day if you think that would help.

TJ--Seen those rope saws; thought they looked like they'd be OK for emergencies, or something like that. You think one would help here?

EZ if you ain't tried a rope saw then there is something very wrong. I use a rope saw when I really do not not want to climb a tree period. On several occasions tree was up to or next to a power line. In the past if a Edison line was too close to a tree they told the home owner to fix it. Now Edison will remove almost anything close to power. Or as of late home owner told me Oak tree has been dead for only two years, but every thing indicated it was a death trap. Took it down with a rope saw and it fell into many pieces. Your tree looks less than 80' so easy peasy with a rope saw. Shoot a line near the large end of a branch then shoot a line right next to the branch base. The first line is to lower branch once it is cut. Second line is where the rope saw will cut the branch. When the branch starts to fall the end will go down and hang. You will keep on cutting until branch breaks completely and lower it down.

If you really want a good rope saw you gotta make one. Get your self some saw chain hopefully some of it is very worn. If you just take a conventional chain and put a link into each end of a 20 to 30'' chain it will not always have the cutters pointing down. So you have to alternate the cutters every two inches or so that no matter which way the chain it is positioned some cutter will be pointing down. You grind off the sprocket teeth and alternate a cutter 4 to 6 inches so that when you pull one way the cutters cut something then pull the other way a pair of cutters cut some that way. Each side of your chain should have no more than 6 teeth facing each way because the chain will bind if not. I can cut a 12'' dead or green Oak limb with a 100' rope saw. All you need is two 100' lines and lots of patience. I have spent a couple of hours from 70' trying to get the lines just right for one branch. With your platform and pole saws you should be able to position your stuff pretty fast. You can buy a saw for about $40 but they seemed like they would break after second cut. Thanks

Oh lord

Let's just do things the civilized way

Sounds like 175 bucks solves all these problems.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I’m tired of hearing about it: I’ll split it with you.

I’m not renting the truck, but I will send. $87.50 to someone who will rent it.

@jomoco, how about you?

We send it to you & you rent the ride.

I’m tired of hearing about it: I’ll split it with you.

I’m not renting the truck, but I will send. $87.50 to someone who will rent it.

@jomoco, how about you?

We send it to you & you rent the ride.
I was gonna send 50 bucks I'll send the 87.50 if no one else wants to help.
I just want to have a set in stone plan b4 I send money to some random guy I met on the internet... haha

@kz1000 you still in for atleast the $20?

I'm only good for Friday n Saturday, but I see no reason it can't be done in one day, so pick a day EZ, next Friday or Saturday, regardless I have to return Saturday night.

Let No Tree handle the money, I've never dealt with paypal.

Done right it'll be a one day deal n done with.

Yu think you can refrain from chewin on that poor Allepo another week EZ?

PM me yur address n phone# if it's a go mate?

Jomoco

I was gonna send 50 bucks I'll send the 87.50 if no one else wants to help.
I just want to have a set in stone plan b4 I send money to some random guy I met on the internet... haha

@kz1000 you still in for atleast the $20?

I agree.

I’m a go whenever the ducks get lined up.

EZ a rope saw might solve your issues. If you get the personnel to assist you then maybe you are home free. If the assist does not work out then you might want to look at Northern Tool rope saw. About $60 including shipping will get you a 48'' saw with about 50 or 60' of line. That is likely able to handle your challenge with independence. Mine is made with regular chain and 100' of braided 3/8'' high test line. A really long pole saw can also work wonders with hard to reach places. A fiberglass extending pole can be very effective. Thanks

All--thanks for everything.

TJ--we'll see how this goes.

J--how about coming up Friday and returning Saturday? You could stay on my boat if you don't mind roughing it for one night. I think you might be greatly underestimating the enormity of the job. It's hard to tell from the photos, perhaps, but the tree I estimate at 50' high. But I'll appreciate any help you can provide. PM sent.

Got some more done today, but hardly worthy of a photo. Stuff I could reach from the existing ladder setup. Got it mostly with the electric pole saw, which developed an intermittent power issue, so I had to finish with the manual pole saw.

Friday's fine with me EZ.

But please leave the tree as it is till I get there. You n whoever cleans up the mess I put on the ground'll have lots of work to do.

I'll buzz yu tomorrow about mid morning mate.

Jomoco

If you really want a good rope saw you gotta make one. Get your self some saw chain hopefully some of it is very worn. If you just take a conventional chain and put a link into each end of a 20 to 30'' chain it will not always have the cutters pointing down. So you have to alternate the cutters every two inches or so that no matter which way the chain it is positioned some cutter will be pointing down.

EMine is made with regular chain and 100' of braided 3/8'' high test line.

Ted,

Love to see some photos. The 'rope saws' I tried were all junk.

Maybe start a 'Rope Saw' thread?

Philbert

Friday's fine with me EZ.

But please leave the tree as it is till I get there. You n whoever cleans up the mess I put on the ground'll have lots of work to do...

Great!

Whatever is on the ground will get removed--not to worry. But I'm on a mission--please don't expect me to stop--so the tree will be slightly smaller when you get here.

J--here are the photos you requested, listed in order of approximate compass point (viewed from) south, south, east, north, west, west. For scale, the trailer is a 24' Silver Streak. The circumference of the trunk is 88", measured not near the ground, but just below the sawed off stubs you see in the photos from the west and south sides.

Latest posts

Back