Old veteran requests supervision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
n--I rent, but just can't make this my landlady's problem; it's mine. Been here for decades. She keeps the rent affordable and I never make waves. If sending her the bill was an option I wouldn't have taken this on by myself.

Here's a couple photos showing how I rigged one last limb for removal. Used a throw-bag to rig a snatch block hung off 1 line to the next uppermost limb. Through that block I ran a line to the base of the limb I wanted to remove. Couldn't avoid multiple trips up the ladders before I was finally able to notch the bottom, and then position myself such that I didn't have to cut above my head to make the final cut. No drama, though I did have to sneak up on that final cut to avoid any sudden drop before going all the way through. Then climbed down, removing ladders as I went (so they wouldn't be in J's way) and finished lowering the limb from the ground; cut it up and tidied the work site in preparation for J's visit tomorrow.

Last photo shows the small branches and wood I've piled (~6' high) in the alley waiting to be hauled away; this so the small work area beneath the tree remains clear. There's just enough room left in the alley for a vehicle to pass. Wanted to get all the foliage down first before having to confront that. Was thinking I might find someone with a chipper and truck to deal with it. But what is the best way to deal with the wood? Especially the large slabs of trunk that will remain?

Just poked around Google maps how far is home depot from you? They normally have a 6" chipper for rent not sure on the cost out there but its normally a couple hundo for the day. All those branches would chip down pretty good if you have a place you could make a pile and store for a short while. Then at your leasure get rid of them as you can a little as mulch throw a scoop in a garbage bag to top off the can. Maybe the neighbors can when he's not looking... that would be your cheapest route for getting rid of the limbs. Probably illegal to hide the chips in trash but hey...

As far as the big stuff your location is totally different then mine i couldn't tell you I have 10 different mulch yards within an hour that will accept chips logs or brush here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

...Maybe the neighbors can when he's not looking...

HA! :)

No, I won't be doing that. But Home Depot isn't too far away from me. Never seen a chipper there--didn't know you could just rent them--but it's easy to check out.

Surely the large slabs will be the hardest to get rid of. Anyone have a line on these chip/mulch outfits?

J had to drive up all the way from San Diego, but still managed to be in the tree before 9:00 am! It is just marvelous to watch a pro work at such a challenging trade which requires so much skill and athleticism. Temps were in the mid to upper 80's with not much of a breeze until noon or so.

Got a few photos early in the day, but must have been too tired to think of photography by day's end. I tried to keep pace, with him in the tree and me trimming, dragging and stacking on the ground. J graciously offered to stay the night so we could make another run at it in the morning. Such generosity.

I'll take some photos this morning to show where we wound up yesterday. Pretty sure J didn't take long getting to sleep last night and he's already here with his boots and spurs on to give it another go!.

These first three images show where we finished yesterday.

J was ready to climb by ~8:00 this morning with me being his man on the ground and, by late morning, had already whittled it down to this.

By ~ 4:30 we were both pretty well knackered, tired, sore and cramping, so we called it close enough and J packed up and began the long drive home. But we had reduced the tree to what you see in these next two images. Now the top of what remains can be reached by just standing on the shop roof. And the trunk had lifted until the limb (that had been pushing the shop over) cleared the roof and the 4 x 8 platform support had risen 6" off the roof.

By a little after 6:00 I had mostly finished clearing the work site of the large debris and finished stacking everything in the alley, leaving this pile for hauling.

I want to sincerely thank those of you who have donated to help fund this past two day's marathon effort--I saw fit to pass it on to jomoco, though it was certainly poor compensation for the extreme effort he put in. Hope all of you are OK with my decision to use it in this manner. This time with J has been not only enlightening and educational, but thoroughly enjoyable, as we found lots to talk about during our breaks. I am very impressed with J's skill and work ethic, and feel very fortunate to have met him and had the opportunity to work together with him.

Free firewood it is. :)

Besides what you see stacked in the alley, I have got rid of ~a dozen 45-gallon (?) trash bags of pine needles, vines/leaves, twigs, pine cones, etc. And there must be a few bushels of chainsaw dust scattered. :)

So after seeing what it took to do the tree with jomoco do you still think you could have done it yourself? Survived?

For the logs post on Craigslist for free fire wood might work it might not, Its pine so maybe no takers and a few nasty emails from a few dickheads you might get a few people who want a few arm fulls or you might get rid of it all in one shot. It's a crap shoot.
For the branches look on craigslist I think I saw a post "cheapest tree service around" or something like that. send them a couple pics of the stuff left after the firewood ad and see what they say. around hear you could find somebody to do it for like 200 bucks. Since it's so neatly cut and stacked it would be an easy one for a landscaper with just a truck n trailer. So try some of the landscapers too.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

n--thank you. I probably won't seek out a hauler until the rest of the tree is on the ground.

I admitted to J that, not only could he have, in about an hour, duplicated all the work I had done prior to his arrival, but that I honestly don't know how I could have accomplished what he had done, regardless of how long it might take me. It was nothing short of amazing to watch such a highly skilled climber, though I had little time to watch, as it was all I could do to try and keep up with him with my breaking down the branches, handling the lines (on what little required rigging to the ground), stacking the debris and keeping the work site clear.

7FBC7019-8135-47D0-B729-234455E5F76D.jpeg My town will take just about anything I put at the curb. Leaves branches. Tree trunks . And it doesn’t cost anything it may be worth a call. They even took this mess.

Back