Old veteran requests supervision

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J--you're a good man.

You guys may think this is silly, but I just noticed something today while cutting down the top of what remains of the tree. Although I've earlier in my life spent a few days running chain saws, it simply never occurred to me that I just LOVE the appearance of chainsaw dust! :) In a long career as a woodworker I likely have breathed bushels of sawdust, the fine stuff. But it wasn't until today that I realized how actually beautiful the bigger dust is, if you'll allow me to look at it that way. Of course I love the smell of most sawdust.

Thanks for all the kind words n contributions guys.

Giving EZ a hand was an extremely humbling experience.

I've never had my azz so thoroughly kicked by high humidity!

I was only good for about 45 minutes of work in the tree before getting light headed, and coming down to cool off for half an hour before headin aloft again.

I guess I'm gettin old n ready to be shipped off to the knackers!

The tree was strategic in that it was entirely over the shop, but it certainly wasn't two days work.

EZ's a helluva a craftsman though! His teakwork on his boat's the finest I've seen, and his shop's to die for!

I totally understand why he was so determined to protect it now.

I've never experienced such high humidity that close to the ocean, and understand why so many athletes drop dead pushing themselves while playing or practicing in it.

Jomoco
Humid stinks, I did not intend to sound like you went too slow friend.It really don't matter imo, only thing that does it its safe. I learned many years ago racing in this work especially in heat will cause a good tree man to f-up. 50% of my bids are too low for two reasons lol 1 the market stinks and 2 I look at every tree with 30 year old eyes and a 55 y/o body lol :cheers:

Had to work some today so didn't get a lot done on the tree. The 18" bar on the electric saw is a real challenge on the trunk. But I managed to cut off some slabs by sawing them in half. Since the real climbing is done, and the electric should easily handle the rest of the small stuff, I figure I'll sell the top handle climbing saw and replace it with a bigger saw with a long bar, to finish removing the trunk. Maybe I can rent one locally.

Today I got quite a bit done; took the platform frame down and removed that part of the tree which overhung the trailer. By moving the plywood around, and using a short, inverted trash can to "catch" the cutoffs, I was able to protect the top of the trailer.

Missing the shade very much! It was 92 degrees and 65% humidity today. And was hell working on the tree.

First photo shows a fixture I knocked together out of 2 x 6 and 2 x 4 scraps (don't laugh!). It gets ratchet strapped to the bottom of the tilted trunk such as to capture the cutoff slab and keep it from free-falling once I've completed the cut, after which I can toss the cutoff where I want it. You can just make out the partial cut at the top of the photo. The black is the ratchet strap; the blue is for securing my safety harness. Tried to hurry it along, just letting the slabs fall, but wound up denting the front corner of the trailer when a slab bounced into it. Dang! (Dent shows just under the third ladder rung)

Should have made a picture book of the whole process!

Philbert

I really wish I'd been able to take more photos of J working the tree. But I was compelled to cut, drag and stack what he was taking off the tree, as there is such a small work area and I had to keep the alley clear for occasional traffic.

I am very impressed that no one was set back with any mishaps and the tree is gone or almost. You worked with what you had. The several pictures you took were great Jomoco seemed to add to the contribution area very well. I am always challenged to try to get the jobs done by myself which is not always for the best. Thanks very much for all the updates. It was an interesting journey. Thanks.

It's been successful because of all the support and contributions of good people here. And that has given me inspiration, courage and energy to push on, which I intend to continue until the whole pile can be hauled away.
Just take your time,enjoy yourself , no deadlines you know. Actually i think your holder was good idea seeing how your doing this alone.

ropensaddle said:
Where you are now though if it were me I would get a great side pull side notch it real wide and drop it but then it might not be best for your set up

You're right, it is just about short enough now to be able to clear everything IF I could be assured of getting it to pull away from the trailer. Looks like it would want a notch a few feet above the ground, and oriented about 45 degrees outboard of the center axis, just about where the black trash can is located in this photo. As crazy as it may sound, although I can easily get a Come-along attached to my receiver hitch, to put a strain on the top of the trunk, it would seem that I could guaranty it to clear the trailer if I had someone keep a strain on it with the vehicle in gear at about a high idle. The attachment line would be plenty long enough to keep the vehicle well out of the danger zone. I'm afraid that the Come-along would simply go slack as the tree began to fall, if I relied only on the initial static tension.

Is this too far-fetched?

What jomoco is saying the things I'm laying down are for seasoned tree men. The new photo made me think jump cuts lol but see that is not for the novice. I used jump cuts at the aligator petting zoo to clear their fence. The people quit watching the gator show to see 6 foot chunks of wood fly 25 feet lol. It has worked well for me and would in that job too but it requires skill and a pro saw.

My biggest handicap at this point is the 18" bar, which feels like all the electric chainsaw will handle without bogging down. Right now it lacks about 4"-5" of going completely through the tree. And as much as I try, making the opposite side cut regularly drifts out of plane. Part of the problem is the difficulty introduced by working one side off a ladder, where I have to reach so far in order to get the motor to clear, that I cannot sight down the previous cut accurately. And that I have chosen to begin by making the largest cut, first, from standing/kneeling on the Mickey Mouse bridge supported by the shop roof eaves, on one end, and the trailer roof on the other. At some point I'll rent a 24" bar machine, but I'd like to limit that to 1 day's rental.

The work load is greatly increased by my having to cut the slabs in two, horizontally, with the grain, so I can more easily manhandle them away from the trailer. This still seems easier than cutting the slabs half as thick, which would require twice as many crosscuts.

I understand about you guys not wanting to encourage me to try more risky operations. And that you might feel some responsibility if I were to then injure myself in the attempt. It's OK. I'm trying to avoid death as long as possible too.

My biggest handicap at this point is the 18" bar, which feels like all the electric chainsaw will handle without bogging down. Right now it lacks about 4"-5" of going completely through the tree. And as much as I try, making the opposite side cut regularly drifts out of plane. Part of the problem is the difficulty introduced by working one side off a ladder, where I have to reach so far in order to get the motor to clear, that I cannot sight down the previous cut accurately. And that I have chosen to begin by making the largest cut, first, from standing/kneeling on the Mickey Mouse bridge supported by the shop roof eaves, on one end, and the trailer roof on the other. At some point I'll rent a 24" bar machine, but I'd like to limit that to 1 day's rental.

The work load is greatly increased by my having to cut the slabs in two, horizontally, with the grain, so I can more easily manhandle them away from the trailer. This still seems easier than cutting the slabs half as thick, which would require twice as many crosscuts.

I understand about you guys not wanting to encourage me to try more risky operations. And that you might feel some responsibility if I were to then injure myself in the attempt. It's OK. I'm trying to avoid death as long as possible too.
Yes but the techniques require saws to be safely performed an electric saw will not suffice. Minimum required to do what I mentioned is a 70cc saw which is a whole other can of worms especially on a step ladder. I have to agree with Jomoco plywood will be your better bet, that log has some twist.

Got a bit more done today, again in 90+ degree temps. Finished with the "scaffolding" (2 sheets of 5/8" plywood plus an 8' 2 x 8) between the shop and trailer roofs, so moved the plywood over to help shade the trailer. It's about 10 degrees hotter in the trailer now that the foliage has disappeared. Once I have the rest of the tree down, so I can take one run at getting rid of the debris, I'll address some kind of shade. Tried to troubleshoot the ancient rooftop RV air conditioner; it's getting power, but won't start; possibly/hopefully just a capacitor.

Friday I picked up the last quart of bar oil they had at my local hardware store. Today I got the last gallon at Advance Auto Parts. Sharpened and re-tensioned the chain. The saw has begun making new noises since I've started burying the bar in the thick part of the tree, especially when cutting with the grain--it doesn't like that and long fibers try to build up between the bar and chain.--it only needs to last awhile longer. :) I've been feeling it too, got a kink in my neck that won't go away.

Just heard a vehicle pull up outside. It was a guy picking out the really small firewood! I assured him it was good wood for burning and that he could have all he wanted. :) Wound up speaking with him for the longest time--got into some deep conversation that was so enjoyable. Funny how that works sometimes.

Back