Older Husqvarna 61cc Bogging Problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Maguda

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an older Husqvarna 61cc that ran great for years. Last year I loaned it out to a "friend" who ran it without oil in the gas and fried the top end. I purchased and replaced the top end with OEM and I was back in business. This year it was a hard to start so had the local Husqvarna dealer clean and tune the carb. After a few days of cutting the saw wouldn't start. Back to the Husqvarna dealer who said the ignition was shot and he replaced it. Saw ran great for about 2 tank fulls then started to bog down within 10-15 seconds of cutting. The saw now starts right up with one pull but they can't determine why it bogs down. The dealer has had this saw since March off and on and they gave up trying to determine the problem, too many hours into the saw they say. I hate to get rid of it since it cuts great. Any ideas?

You know "bog down" is kind of generic. Give ALL the exact symptoms if you expect quality help. Otherwise you will get 10 different possibilities and all could be wrong. PS don't ask us for help if you loan it out again. Mike

Here is an example of what I would like to see: My saw ran great. It was loaned to a person and straight gassed. I replaced the top end with OEM. The cylinder and piston were both marked AB. I did the work and not the dealership. I adjusted the carburetor after that to four stroke on the top end and the low speed to accelerate cleanly. It idles at 2700 RPM. I use only quality mix at 50:1 etc etc...

You know "bog down" is kind of generic. Give ALL the exact symptoms if you expect quality help. Otherwise you will get 10 different possibilities and all could be wrong. PS don't ask us for help if you loan it out again. Mike

Here is an example of what I would like to see: My saw ran great. It was loaned to a person and straight gassed. I replaced the top end with OEM. The cylinder and piston were both marked AB. I did the work and not the dealership. I adjusted the carburetor after that to four stroke on the top end and the low speed to accelerate cleanly. It idles at 2700 RPM. I use only quality mix at 50:1 etc etc...

rupedoggy - If I had all that information I'd probably be a chainsaw mechanic and therefore wouldn't need the help :). The reason why I took it to the local Husqvarna dealer for repairs is to make sure EVERYTHING was done right. The bottom line is the saw was running great after they replaced the ignition, replaced the gas line/filter and tuned the carb. I use all quality oils and fresh gas and the dealer confirmed he didn't see any problems with the saw, that's why he's baffled. I tried to upload a video I took but it's not compatible with this site. Are there a list of things that I could check? The top end cost me $180 and the new ignition and carb tune another $160, so I'd hate to toss the saw or part it out.

I guess I stumped the group, so I dropped off the saw at yet another dealer to get their opinion on what's wrong with the saw. I gave them the same info I stated on this forum, so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

The reason you have not received responses is, as Mike stated, there is not enough information. There are a plethora of reasons, from "the dealer set the metering lever height incorrectly" to "the chain is on backwards" for a saw to "bog" in the cut. Without the saw in hand it's a difficult problem to diagnose.

Define "at yet another dealer"....
You replaced the top end, but are not a chainsaw mechanic,
and have stumped the group.
With your saw and it's history/story, I doubt I would let you leave it for me to work on.

My first time on this site and I didn't expect such hostile replies from a couple of you guys. I understand there are a wide range of issues that can cause certain problems, but I can't share what I don't know what is needed to get an answer. Maybe if you simply provided a list of things to look at I could have gone through those issues, but it's at another Husqvarna dealer and I provided him with the history and he has no problem working on it, so I'll him go through the saw and see what's needed.
And BTW - I didn't install the top end, the first dealer did all of the work on the saw and recommended that I repair and not replace it. So "EXPERTS" are not always what they claim to be. Lesson learned.

No hard feelings here, it's just the facts presented are all people have to respond to. Hopefully the new guy can sort it out for you.

As far as listing possible issues, are you sure you want to step on your **** like that, telling the guy all of the things the internet people said he should check?;)

My first time on this site and I didn't expect such hostile replies from a couple of you guys. I understand there are a wide range of issues that can cause certain problems, but I can't share what I don't know what is needed to get an answer. Maybe if you simply provided a list of things to look at I could have gone through those issues, but it's at another Husqvarna dealer and I provided him with the history and he has no problem working on it, so I'll him go through the saw and see what's needed.
And BTW - I didn't install the top end, the first dealer did all of the work on the saw and recommended that I repair and not replace it. So "EXPERTS" are not always what they claim to be. Lesson learned.
Understand your frustration, do not get upset at everyone. I am working on a 262xp right now and have started by vacuum and compression testing. May be new top end, but what brand, broken ring, low compression. Also as stated carb rebuilt, but incorrectly. Plugged muffler screen? Pinched or cracked fuel line. Impulse track semi-plugged. If your new dealer cannot figure it out, please get back to us. Problems that show up is how I learn and dealer tech's don't have all the answers, all the time. Willing to help, or work on your saws problem.

This is a site for kind of "do it myself" types. The advise you get here is free. You paid the dealer $340 and now you are accusing us of being "hostile". If you pay me for my time, I will fix your saw right here at my home, and be as nice as you want me to be. This is your first post on this site. Try not to be a "Mom he hurt my feelings" guy. You will find a lot of really good people here if you stick around, but I doubt you will. Mike

I'm not upset with anyone, just an observation that some people are a bit aggressive with someone looking for help. I'm old enough to pick out the internet bullies who tend to take that route, so I don't take it personal. I'll let you guys know what the dealer says in about 4 weeks, he said he's backed up 3 weeks now.

"I have an orange saw, it bogs, blah, blah, blah"
I replaced the top end, and took it to a dealer, and they screwed it up. I replaced the top end because a friend did this, that, etc...

I guess I stumped the group, with my very precise ETC........

Sorry, but you started the crap, I wouldn't let you leave the saw with me, because I would be another in your long list of blame. You should be hammering the shop that fixed it the first time, if all you say is true.

Back