Older Stihl 028 cylinder scored, reusable? With Pics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this cylinder recoverable?

• Total voters
Hmm.looks like im going to have to set down and do some investigation. Got several of the 42's and 44's.only found one junk 42 I have that was backwards a few weeks ago.got a 44 apart now but it was scortched.cleaned cylinder but didnt check piston.flywheel seal went bad I do know.

Not my saw,but a neighbor.He bought it new.Carbon and bad filter ruined it.Piston stamped to exhaust and so were ring ends.Getting piston same way because if I install it correct way it looks like ports on intake side are right at ends.It ran that way till now?
Now I'm back to my original state of confusion!

towingace post: 5009281 said:
Now I'm back to my original state of confusion!
Hell dont feel bad I'm with ya.apparently they run a long time with a backwards piston because I have never heard anything bad about an 028.lol as long as the ring ends dont hit ports it should be ok.but you have to make sure the ends arent hitting where you cant see....the transfer ports.

Hell dont feel bad I'm with ya.apparently they run a long time with a backwards piston because I have never heard anything bad about an 028.lol as long as the ring ends dont hit ports it should be ok.but you have to make sure the ends arent hitting where you cant see....the transfer ports.
Yeah, this is a good one. Looks like it's going to require a little deeper research to get to the bottom of it. I looked all over the place to find out which way the piston went when I assembled mine years ago. I remember the outcome was contrary to the norm and IIRC that info came directly from a service manual that I down-loaded. As I stated earlier, my saw is running fine after all this time, so I shouldn't worry about it....but my curiosity vibes tell me different.

I got it for $40, have $50 in the busted P&C. Not really wanting to keep it, just curious about what makes it tick. I've got a Husqy 55 complete cracked apart that I'm rebuilding, too. It's not really a money-making project, just a hobby, as I like to tinker.

I suppose cracking the case and going whole hog makes sense, if I'm going to replace the P&C anyway. Or sell the carcass...

I _am_ in the market, tho, I'd like to find a pretty 026 or 036 Pro that I'd actually keep long term as my primary saw. I've got a MS180 right now, but I'd like a bigger one for the heavy lifting.

You should sell it to me, as long as it’s got a chainbrake...lol. I got one runner that’s a mag and almost enough parts to build a second mag. No good cylinder or piston unfortunately.

Back