Oldirty North American Tour 08

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldirty

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
well folks. i've had this incredible urge the past few years to head west. i have finally succumbed to it.

i have taken a job offer and am going to be moving out to Anchorage, Alaska in about 2 weeks.

alot of excitement for the new challenge/opportunity. i am fired up.

from what ive been told we'll be going balls out from my arrival to darkness in December, the end of the season.

anyone on this site from out that way or worked that locale? i would love to have some insider info about what i should be prepared for and what i might need to bring.

this is awesome. i have never been further west than boulder colorado almost 10 years ago.

i have no children, no wife, and no mortgage. why wouldnt i take this opportunity to check out the great white north ?!

any info regarding what i might face would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks boys!

You may need heaavier longjohns :laugh:

Seriously though I hear that due to ocean currentss that they ddo not get as ccoldd as other parts of the country, and have a very warm, relativly long growing season due to long days.

I dont blame you ,I would do the same if I was in you position. Good luck .
:cheers:

Katmai National Park! I spent part of '94 working in Alaska as a commercial fisherman and on my only day off we flew into Katmai and watched the bear up close picking salmon out of the streams. By up close I mean no need for binoculars, they're right there in front of you! It was incredible...maybe because it was literally my only day off in almost three months but whenever I make it back to Alaska it WILL be one of my stops.

http://www.nps.gov/katm/planyourvisit/directions.htm

You may need heaavier longjohns :laugh:

Seriously though I hear that due to ocean currentss that they ddo not get as ccoldd as other parts of the country, and have a very warm, relativly long growing season due to long days.

yeah, he said something about longjohns. lol. you got any extras?

and i can only hope the growing season is long, midnight sun!

i'm going to take your word about the ocean currents though. dont think i want to swim in the bering sea! lol

Damn, good for you man. You've tried the best, now try the rest. I was hoping to see you in the New England Championships this year. At least you can check in here from time to time, keep us posted.

No more oldirty

its

Olfrozee

I would think the only major difference to Alaska and where you are now is probably moisture. NH is cold and icy but not particularly wet and damp but I bet on top of the obvious cold of Alaska, the pacific air is going to moisten things up. Look at SF bay and all the fog.

Good luck! Have you ever been out to visit before? Very mountainous, very steep and rugged. Went there on a cruise on the inside passage years ago. Beautiful place.

You lucky SOB. That is gonna be sweet. Take that move by balls and love every minute of it. The one place I wan't to go and you're moving there, good for you. If you don't have one get a .338 winchester mag and hunt the heck out of that place. Get out on one of those crab boats in the Bering if you get a chance, always wanted to try that too. I couldn't be more excited for you, pick up one of those native women, drop a grizzly in it's tracks, and do some fishing. Most importantly though, mow down some timber. Is it a tree cutting job? Hey I have some relation up there that own a Fab shop, I will come visit and bring some Copenhagen as a housewarming gift.

Good Luck and best wishes Oldirty, I think alot of us would love to move north to Alaska. You're a lucky man !

Live the dream ! :cheers:

Oldirty -

YOU ROCK!! Alaska is my favorite place! Since you will be in Anchorage, you won't be far from the Kenai Penninsula. Some of the most awesome salmon fishing in the world happens there... on about 5 different rivers, all within 20 minutes drive of each other.

The largest tree I have ever felled was at a Christian camp in the Tongas National Forest (southeast of Anchorage, closer to Ketchikan). To me, a NC boy, it was HUGE!! To the camp caretaker, it was just a "peck er pole". Boy, the scale of things is different there!

Have a GREAT time in the most beautiful place you'll ever see!

OldDirty; When you get there go out & buy a shovel & do some GOLD panning in your spare time. I hear tell the fishing& hunting are great & the weather ain't bad,either. Good Luck on your adventure.

Good for you oldirty. I have never been there but I have seen Alaska from the tip of the Queen Charlottes on clear days. Have fun.

i envy you!

best of luck.i've wanted to do it but my parents health keeps me here.

i'd get a fly pole and a marlin in 45/70 for safety.be safe and take a warm blanket for the 371xp.:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :greenchainsaw:

Back