Oleo mac parts galore. Help?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon G

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post so bear with me. Long time lurker, got some great info from this forum over the years.

When I was younger my dad bought a "lot" of saw parts at an auction. No pun. He just passed away this summer but always planned to do something with these parts. After fixing up his old stihl 064 I just today decided to do a quick inventory to see what oleo mac parts he had, but obviously not enough for a complete saw. There are 2 crank cases from a larger saw, and one smaller. Tons of top ends, centrifugal clutches, couple carbs, lots of random stuff. I hadn't heard of this brand before but spent some time doing research today. I'm having trouble nailing down the model #s. Possibly a 281 or 284 for the larger saw? If any of you guys have some ideas I'd love to hear. I'm thinking my only path forward towards a working saw is to buy a donor then swap the parts over, but this brand seems pretty obscure.

I'm still uncertain what I'll do but will at least explore the notion of finding a matching saw to build. Thanks for any advice you can offer. I've already learned a lot about this brand from the forum.

Jon

Attachments

• 20190101_135411.jpg
    20190101_135411.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 20190101_221437.jpg
    20190101_221437.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 56
  • 20190101_220512.jpg
    20190101_220512.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 52
  • 20190101_220335.jpg
    20190101_220335.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 54
  • 20190101_141621.jpg
    20190101_141621.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 61
Welcome to the site. Youve some valuable parts there. I hesitate to say that cause id dearly love to have those coils in the last pic (unobtanium, first new ones ive seen in decades). But, as i said.
First thing id do is shoot some wd40 on the cranks/bearings. Hopefully the corrosion didn't get into the bearings. Ive run olympyks since early 80s and they are still my goto saws. Some others here that love those saws too.
Your main problem is figuring out a fair price. Sorry cant help you there
Regarding models go to the beg for manuals thread and ask for ipls. I may can help you some

Bring up EfcoPower on the web go to servicing sect, clic on parts lists & have a look though you may be able to match up pt #'s you have some valuble to Oleo owners part there

Thanks for the replies guys. I searched on the efco site, but seems like these models aren't listed. Too old? The closest thing I've found so far is a picture of an olympic 284f case on chainsawr.com. Looks identical to mine, but in other pics of that saw I've seen the chain sprocket cover looks different. The pull start side looks the same but it seems like that starter is shared across several models.

Good to know about the coils. To think I rescued those from going for scrap. Yes that crank was briefly exposed to the elements unfortunately in the shuffle of cleaning up the property. I do have extra bearings and seals however, as well as another crank in plastic. Some of this stuff wasn't stored the best. Was mostly dry at least but some surface rust on certain things. Cases seemed like they were homes for mice and wasps at some point. I'm sure they'll clean up. I'll continue reading through threads and comparing photos. It seems like finding the model #s will be hard enough, let alone trying to convince someone to part with a complete saw once I nail the model down.

Attachments

• 20190101_234320.jpg
    20190101_234320.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20190101_234209.jpg
    20190101_234209.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20190102-094104_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190102-094104_Chrome.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
I need a clutch for an Alpina, might be the same as a oleo, when you get organized I'll send you some info. What are you going to ask for a clutch?

Thanks for the replies guys. I searched on the efco site, but seems like these models aren't listed. Too old? The closest thing I've found so far is a picture of an olympic 284f case on chainsawr.com. Looks identical to mine, but in other pics of that saw I've seen the chain sprocket cover looks different. The pull start side looks the same but it seems like that starter is shared across several models.

Good to know about the coils. To think I rescued those from going for scrap. Yes that crank was briefly exposed to the elements unfortunately in the shuffle of cleaning up the property. I do have extra bearings and seals however, as well as another crank in plastic. Some of this stuff wasn't stored the best. Was mostly dry at least but some surface rust on certain things. Cases seemed like they were homes for mice and wasps at some point. I'm sure they'll clean up. I'll continue reading through threads and comparing photos. It seems like finding the model #s will be hard enough, let alone trying to convince someone to part with a complete saw once I nail the model down.
What carb parts ya got

Back