Olympyk, Olympic, Oleo Mac, Emak, Efco, Blitz, Folux, Spartan, Spartacus thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Long term test. But I am amazed by the 156 vs 165 reaction from your customers. Tuning problem?

No tuning problem. We both had a go at that saw. Maybe it is just that individual saw. I am not saying it is bad, starts great, works great, just under powered.

Maybe I will get a new one to compare with it.

My guess is that with the 156 its 4.1 hp peak is around 9500-10,000 rpm
The 165 seems to have its 4.3 peak hp around 8000-9000 rpm.

I should be getting a low hour 165 soon. Sold 3 156s and a 165 to a guy. He can't stand the 165. None of his crew will run it they hate it. The 156 is stronger. I am taking it back, and giving him a new 156.

When it comes I will do either a long term test or send it out for porting. Which do you want see?

Wow..your one heck of a dealer....Too bad your not in the states...Id buy my next efco from you...I like how you represent the brand with no BS and back up what you sell...not too many like you left. Me personaly I want to see an up front and personal view of the 165....I want to know whats going on...how can the 156 woop the 165...if so whats the point of the 165? I mean c'mon its an efco we know it will last like the other big names. Thanks for leading the way SC. Efco is lucky to have you as one of their dealers.

Wow..your one heck of a dealer....Too bad your not in the states...Id buy my next efco from you...I like how you represent the brand with no BS and back up what you sell...not too many like you left. Me personaly I want to see an up front and personal view of the 165....I want to know whats going on...how can the 156 woop the 165...if so whats the point of the 165? I mean c'mon its an efco we know it will last like the other big names. Thanks for leading the way SC. Efco is lucky to have you as one of their dealers.

totally agree. should probably clone SC down here.

Thanks for the comments, but I am doing nothing more than treating customers the same way that I have been treated. Dealt with some great dealers in my day.

As for the 156/165 question, its no big deal for the smaller saw to be stronger. Always got better performance from the 034 Stihl than from the 036 both in the woods and racing. Biggest reason is the size of our wood here. In small wood chain speed wins every time. Most of our wood, either hard or soft is smaller than most computer screens. 15 and 16 inch bars are the norm. Quick throttle and high chain speeds rule. No doubt given a steady diet of 20 inch wood with 24 inch bars, the 165 would shine.

Thanks for the comments, but I am doing nothing more than treating customers the same way that I have been treated. Dealt with some great dealers in my day.

Yeah but....your the only one putting them to the test and then showing us the real world results without bias. Thats why a lot of us are following your lil thread on the 152. Now for a question.....whats with efco changing the model numbers....I have an efco 952 which is the exact same as the efco 152 except its orange like the oleo-mac.

While back somone made a thread on porting a J.Deere cs62 or cs56....anyone know what that was called or where its at. Work kept m from following it.

Well boy's i have a Olympyk 264f Deluxe im thinking of tradeing anyone want one? Great running saw just time for something else. What u got?

Last edited:
Has anyone ever pulled the oiler out of the 945/950 Olys. I have a clean 945 that not oiling. I bought the set of O rings. but am wondering iff there could be another problem. Any input will be much appreciated.

Has anyone ever pulled the oiler out of the 945/950 Olys. I have a clean 945 that not oiling. I bought the set of O rings. but am wondering iff there could be another problem. Any input will be much appreciated.

yes, the oiler gear could be striped. I like to thin my bar oil with kerosene in super cold temps.

These saws don't have an oiler gear. Or at least I don't think they do. It has a little plunger type set up that I think runs off a lobe on the crank. I put O-Rings on one before that was sucking oil back into the bottom end and it was burning bar oil real bad. I thinking may be a vent problem or a pick-up tube.

Back in the early to mid 80's when we were Jonsered dealers Olympyk came as part of the package through our distributor. They were nice saws but we didn't sell many. Our customer base was almost 100% loggers that either wanted the latest and greatest Husky or Jonsered or they wanted to keep an old Pioneer P61, Homey 925 or 1050 or a Mac 7-10 running. The Olympyks we did sell were nice rigs. Only complaint was the bottom part of the tank casting breaking when dropped, and that was only 2-3 saws and caused by negligence. I know, 'cuz I broke one!

does anyone know where to find the tool used to pull the oiler assembly out of a 251, 251B, 252, 254, 261, 264, 945 or any of the older oly's. i even went to a fastener store and tried to match the threads on the adjusting screw and they couldn't match the threads. the shop manual says you take out the adjusting screw and screw in the "tool" and just pull the oiler out. i tried this with a peace of dowl road and it wouldn't budge. this isn't a "special-made" thread i wouldn't think. anyone got any leads?
also, tried to take the adjusting screw out of a parts saw and the entire oiler assembly just turned with the screw. any hints or workarounds?

I have an old Olympic dealer near me. He had the o-rings in stock. I ended up pulling an entire oiler assembly out of a parts saw and it worked, though it is oiling full blast. I can't get it to adjust. Funny because I just got back from ordering parts from those guys.

Did you ever try and order those parts from that women that I told you about. I finally got around to placing my order yesterday. I'll let you know how it went, when I receive it.

I've never messed with the oilers on the 251 series of saws. On the 945/950 saws it unscrews and just pulls out in one assembly. It has a series of O-rings on it. There is a spring pump and a oil hole about 2 thirds down the shaft and o rings that stop oil and direct it to the chain. I]m going to disassemble the entire assembly and try to fix it when I have time.

I Love Efco saws best bang for the buck. I bought 3-156's-20",5-165's-20"-1-7200-24", 2-8200's-24" and a 181-20" for $2600 never had gas in them. Also, 2-165's used no b&c parts saws for $35 both run had broken starter springs and seeping holes in gas tanks that had been poorly patched. These 2 165's appear to have been used by right of way/underbrush crew(abused) still run good and have decent power, lots of hours. Maybe next week I can pull down the worst looking 165 and take a peek at the internals. When my parts come in for my degree wheel I will post the numbers. Am going to keep the 181 80cc for firewood saw. We ran the 181 this winter kept getting stronger with each tank. Wish I had done a comp check new. I will pull numbers on this and all other's this summer as time permits. I looked for something to complain about on these saws. The only thing I can complain about is cheesey felling dogs esp on the big saws and the 10mm bar bolts on the 181 uses JR mount bar which is hard to find. I will replace bar studs with 8200 9mm bar studs. Then it will use D009 lg. mt. Husky bars. The 156 is "the man" in this wt class responds well to MM. All they need is better dealer support network. Good dependable saws.

Shep

Last edited:
I have an old Olympic dealer near me. He had the o-rings in stock. I ended up pulling an entire oiler assembly out of a parts saw and it worked, though it is oiling full blast. I can't get it to adjust. Funny because I just got back from ordering parts from those guys.

Did you ever try and order those parts from that women that I told you about. I finally got around to placing my order yesterday. I'll let you know how it went, when I receive it.

I've never messed with the oilers on the 251 series of saws. On the 945/950 saws it unscrews and just pulls out in one assembly. It has a series of O-rings on it. There is a spring pump and a oil hole about 2 thirds down the shaft and o rings that stop oil and direct it to the chain. I]m going to disassemble the entire assembly and try to fix it when I have time.

never did order anything when i found she didn't have the removal tool. concerning your oiler not adjusting - it could be the ball in the check valve has a flat spot (what my troubleshooting guide says). the o-rings on the 945 share a common part number with those on the 251 and they are both cam driven so i unnaturally assumed they might have the same oiler assembly. got these parts saws that i can't get to the parts. :rolleyes2:

I Love Efco saws best bang for the buck. I bought 3-156's-20",5-165's-20"-1-7200-24", 2-8200's-24" and a 181-20" for $2600 never had gas in them. Also, 2-165's used no b&c parts saws for $35 both run had broken starter springs and seeping holes in gas tanks that had been poorly patched. These 2 165's appear to have been used by right of way/underbrush crew(abused) still run good and have decent power, lots of hours. Maybe next week I can pull down the worst looking 165 and take a peek at the internals. When my parts come in for my degree wheel I will post the numbers. Am going to keep the 181 80cc for firewood saw. We ran the 181 this winter kept getting stronger with each tank. Wish I had done a comp check new. I will pull numbers on this and all other's this summer as time permits. I looked for something to complain about on these saws. The only thing I can complain about is cheesey felling dogs esp on the big saws and the 10mm bar bolts on the 181 uses JR mount bar which is hard to find. I will replace bar studs with 8200 9mm bar studs. Then it will use D009 lg. mt. Husky bars. The 156 is "the man" in this wt class responds well to MM. All they need is better dealer support network. Good dependable saws.

Shep

nice group of saws you got there. musta really fell into it eh? i definitely understand about the D024 bar mounts. i've been getting D009's and upsizing the slot with a file.

Back