Olympyk, Olympic, Oleo Mac, Emak, Efco, Blitz, Folux, Spartan, Spartacus thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
All these saws and some others such as some John Deeres and Cub Cadets have been produced by EFCO in Italy. For some reason these saws are not widely known of. I suspect, based on my own experience, that its because the dealer network is weak with possibly some strong dealerships. I personally have not found any strong dealerships but suspect (maybe hope) that some exist.

I envision this thread to be a support vehicle for those of us who have the misfortune to love our saws made by Efco; in my case its my Olympyks. Parts for my saws are as rare as chickens teeth but still i slog on.

I specifically invite dealers of EFCO saws to be a part of this forum.

I am looking for parts for my 252 and my 254 project saws. The specific parts are listed:

252 - coil, points, sprocket cover, air cleaner, air cleaner cover, wrap around AV bars

254 - coil for electronic system, sprocket cover, air cleaner, air cleaner cover wrap around AV bars

I am seriously considering traching the AV handles for wrap around hard bars since that is what I am used to anyway with my other two saws.

Anyone interested in this thread?

I have a Olympyk 264F Deluxe and need a chain break assembly and chain adjuster. This saw runs very well and smooth i love it and looking for other models.:hmm3grin2orange:

Link to old IPL's Efco - Out of Production

I have an Olympyk 935 that I use as needed, a 251 project, and not sure if it fits or not but the McCulloch Titan 57 which I think may be from the same factory?

The 935 gets very little attention but does get used and has been remarkably reliable even if it leaks a bit of oil. I did put a new drum/sprocket and a new chain on it last year, then didn't have a need to run it again.

Mark

We have at least two Efco dealers on this forum, Grande Dog and Olyman. If you go to them with a part #, they can probably help you. Also, try searching the Bailey's site for the part number or part name, there are quite a few Efco parts listed on the site, but the search function is the only way to find them.

Of all the Olys listed on my sig, I think 3 of them have chainbrakes that work. The 272 is a non chainbrake model. I think this thread will have about 6 replys then die. Which is fine with me. Parts for these hard enough to find so I hope the masses don't find out about my saws.

I just bought a well used but good running 284F for $54 dollars on the Bay. Try getting a 81cc Husky or Stihl for that.

One of the first saws I ran when I was a kid was a Spartan, which looked exactly like a Montgomery-Wards (Mono) saw someone posted pictures of awhile ago. Loud, heavy, and noisy were it's GOOD features.

I think this thread will have about 6 replys then die.

Too late!

271 was Dads big saw, I still have it and will till I die. I grew up cutting with that and a 251 super, that one is still in use at my cousin's.

Also have a 261 project on the shelf, just hasn't made it to first in line to get fixed yet.

I'd like a 264F one day, but I'm not actively looking yet.

I'll post here if I find any for sale around here. This area had a good dealer for Oly back in the day, there's quite a few around here. Unfortunately, they were a small town hardware store that couldn't keep up with the big boxes.

besides the weak dealer network im sure all the name changes didnt help any either for them to become well known.

Thanks for the IPL. U saying u want to get rid of that 935?:biggrinbounce2:

I think I will keep it, it was my FIL's and was handed down to me when he passed away. In spite of setting, often for months at a time, it always seems to start even though it may smoke quite a bit at first. Not my first choice in saws but very handy in the right situation.

167153d1294230934-dscn1651-jpg

167155d1294231194-dscn1652-jpg

167154d1294230951-dscn1662-jpg

Mark

Last edited:
I'd like a 264F one day, but I'm not actively looking yet.

The 264F to me is the cream of the Oly crop. Very torquey!!! I've never timed any cuts with mine, but it seems to run right along side of my J-Red 2065. Even if the 264 is close, its still impresses me for a 59cc saw, pulling a 20 inch bar. I have a 264 Delux. The 264F is a much better saw. I think it pulls better and I like the rim sprocket over the spur on the deluxe.

Someone will have to explain to me why Olympyk saws are always 5 or 6 cc's below the model number. 264 IS 59CC, 272/271 is 66 cc's.

Now that the hollidays are over, I'm going to clean off the bench and start working on my growing orange project pile. I have a 234 to tinker with. A 950 and a 945 that I'm going to make a runner out of. And another 264 Deluxe that needs a little to get running. I also have carcusses of a 272 and 284 that a lot of parts interchange that I could probably get running.

My Oly wish list includes a 480, and a 244

I got an 80cc Echo for 99 cents on ebay last week

Thats a sweet deal. Did it run?

I once got an Oly 264F on E-Bay for .99. The guy spelled Olympyk wrong and it was listed with the weed wackers and garden tools and ended on Memorial Day. It was dirty but ran great. I threw a bar and chain on it and rolled it over.

Had an Oleo Mac 355af.
The absolute happiest day of my life was when someone stole it!
Horrid horrid saw, poor chain oiling, totally innefective air cleaner, useless fuel tank vent, chain brake would vibrate on and had to tune it several times per day. This was a brand new saw.
Hope they weren't all this bad.:angry:

Had an Oleo Mac 355af.
The absolute happiest day of my life was when someone stole it!
Horrid horrid saw, poor chain oiling, totally innefective air cleaner, useless fuel tank vent, chain brake would vibrate on and had to tune it several times per day. This was a brand new saw.
Hope they weren't all this bad.:angry:

i've not had one with a chain brake so i can't speak to that. but i've been running my 251B for almost 30 years with only minor problems. i consider their oilers as top notch and totally adjustable to meet your desires. only problems i see with my AV saws is the AV parts. screw the AV and just go with the hard mounts. sounds like you must've gotten a monday morning saw after a weekend of vino.

935 df

I have a 935 DF that I am keeping--- and am going to sell my Echo 302-S . I think it is a better made saw as well as having better balance. I am hoping that the parts to replace the broken chain-brake when I got it will work out O.K.
I know there are a heck of a lot more parts for the Echo , But I hope I won't need them. I just finished checking all my saw's with new compression tester and the 935 tested 155, the echo 140.
Later on today I am going to check all of them with new Tach if I have the time.I haven't looked for a dealer in Dallas area.

i've not had one with a chain brake so i can't speak to that. but i've been running my 251B for almost 30 years with only minor problems. i consider their oilers as top notch and totally adjustable to meet your desires. only problems i see with my AV saws is the AV parts. screw the AV and just go with the hard mounts. sounds like you must've gotten a monday morning saw after a weekend of vino.

Good point, I forgot the Italian love of vino:laugh:

Oly 264F

Good point, I forgot the Italian love of vino:laugh:

There is a 264F listed on the local craigslist for $125, is that a decent price? I passed on one a couple of months ago 'cause it was missing the chain brake. I do have a really good running 244F that I gave $25 for at a local flea market.The guy thought it was a cheap Chinese made saw and no one wanted it.Also just picked up a Pioneer P11 that is a rebadged Oly 240.It's not running but it's all there and only cost me $8.00!:D

Back