One crank tool to rule them all!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got the irwin bit... the sleeves are 6.5" long...doesn't give me a lot of room to work admittedly. but the reduced shank helps because need to use it with my 1/2" chuck.

hopefully on the next go around I won't need it at all, I'll just buy stock that is 5/8" ID to start ....which is aparently hard to find

Some updates, and more disappointment (I have my serious hat on...)

Ok... I have run out of large sleeves, and have reordered this AM from speedy metals. No biggie, those will be available by the end of the week and I'll be shipping again monday to those that have paid (there is only one that I haven't shipped yet... the rest of you guys have had your stuff shipped out).

To those guys that have bought the kits, thank you so much for all the interest! I really hope you enjoy them as much as I have .... I really like putting cases together now!! remember, when using the small sleeves, seat the sleeve first, then put the rod in, screw down the rod, and then thread in the handle. DO A DRY RUN, please make sure these rods are fully cleaned and the threads are fine before using them.... in my haste to get things out to people these kits could use a good wipe down .... the handles may not have ideal threads, so make sure that these do thread in ... dry run before you try to assemble a case.

packing materials... I'll apologize for the wonky packing materials ... had to clean out my basement and this project has helped! they should all arrive in 1 piece. ...let me know if there are any issues or questions.

DISAPPOINTMENT.... this is a tough topic but I'll do my best. I have 20 people on the original list for these gen 2 kits, andaround 40 on the backup list....making around 60 commitments to buy kits. I have contacted everyone on the list, and have sold less than 20 kits. In fact, less that HALF of the original 20 even emailed me back. For those guys that have passed this go around and let me know... I totally get it. I really do. For those guys that have paid...thank you. BUT.... Fred and I have tooled up for making kits according to the commitments I have received. I have fronted all the money for these kits.

Based on the (bulk) lack of response to my emails, I'll simply say this. The aggravation value here is insane. So, once the kits that I currently have are gone, two things will happen. Prices will go up, and it will bemoney up front. I've desperately tried to do this as a favor to all the guys that are interested, and the result is lackluster. I will be making these in small batchesgoing forward, possibly only 10 at a time. If any other sourcing options pop up I'll let everyone know.

If anyone wants a kit, please let me know. We are now on FIRST COME FIRSTSERVED basis.

Matt is a great guy and went to a lot of work to make this happen. All you who backed out on him should be ashamed. If you have a good reason let him know I am sure he will understand but no response shows poor character.
I am going to ask my local Husky dealer if he might be interested in a set.

Thanks for the vote of confidence and kind words. I really do understand people have life circumstances, and that there were some 5? that I put on the list as place holders, they weren't really expecting tools this soon. But to have the bulk of people back out ... uh.. yeah. Again, thanks and let me know if you have any questions about the tools. You are going to enjoy putting cases together! The hardest part of saw assembly just became the easiest!

Just to give an update on this site... I have a new guy doing my machining and the product is very good. I'm hoping for fairly quick turnarounds now, hopefully weeks rather than months. I have a batch of 12 on order, so far 2 are spoken for.

BUT...I have some other special order stuff. I have had requests for 660 specific tools. So, now I have them. You can get a 660 specific threaded rod, large sleeve, rod handle, nut and washer.

Also, I'm having some 372 specific kits as well made up. Both of these represent a significant cost savings, but are ultimately redundant if someone is interested in the full kit.

ALSO, I have 242 specific rods. THESE ARE IN ADDITION to the existing full kit. The 242 is a very specific saw with specific needs.

Contact me with questions or if you wish to order. Thanks ya'll :)

New kits FINALLY back in stock. The drama has been crazy but the result is worth it.

I have the main kit that is sold, which will put together most of the common saws that are being rebuilt today. everything from 026-066, 346xp-395/4, 262-288 ...lots of saws.

After doing this for a while I've found some caveats and as expected there have been a few issues with the tools that have popped up.

The tools themselves:

I've seen a couple rods broken. The only rods I've seen that have cracked in half are the flywheel side (small) rods and its because they are 5/8" threaded rod and the 3/8" tapped hole in the center of them leaves little meat. So, this hole for future kits has been changed to 5/16" and will most assuredly not break. The "handle" is shorter and smaller ( I was hoping to use a single handle, but I like the 3/8" handle for the 3/4" rods.).

The other issue I've seen is some small sleeves that have been splayed out. This is because the small sleeve is not intended for use on large saws (with 6203 bearings). Use the small rod for the flywheel side, but the large sleeve with it. Problem solved.

Saw compatability:

Some saws don't follow the rules. For instance, the 242xp and family of saws have very specific thread sizes that are ODD. So I have made a special rod for this saw. not many people rebuild these, but those rods are now available.

husky's old 266 ... the old style 266/61 clutch is 1/2" UNC left hand thread. I have a special rod for this but I had to put something odd on the other end. the other end is for the stihl 661 ...which stihl decided in their infinite wisdom to make DIFFERENT than the 660. m13x1.0lh vs m12x1.0lh(660).

576xp - much to my shagrin, the 576xp clutch fits on a 372xp... but it doesn't stay tight and will cause an immediate vac leak. thats because the 576xp is m15x1.25lh thread vs m14x1.25lh for 372. visually they are almost indistiguishable.... but they are indeed different. but the issue doesn't stop there. m15 won't fit inside a 3/4" threaded rod. it WILL fit inside if the 3/4" is solid.... so i've had BOLTS (instead of threaded rod) machined so they are now single ended rods that will work with this system.

stihl 880 - my bad on this one. I didn't know that the stihl 880 used a proprietary bearing on the clutch side that was abnormally larger than the usual 6203. the ID is around 20mm....also making the crank diameter at that point 20mm. I didn't know this. The large sleeves will go over 19mm, not 20. so I need a 3rd! sleeve machined. These are coming.

For those that only want to rebuild specific saws, I have kits that'll fit specific saws, ie, 660, 372/390, and 440/360.

Just figured I'd give an update on the project. It keeps growing and I keep getting requests. For now I intend to fill all orders, for the forseeable future. I have 50 main kits on order, plus all these specialty rods. If anyone has any questions or is interested feel free to give me a PM.

For those that have been waiting for stock... i've got it!

Back