One down, nine to go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How’s the finger doing?
Not sure to be honest. I've never had anything amputated before. It seems to be doing ok I guess. I'm still keeping a full dressing on it most of the time and only letting it get air about an hour a day. It's very sore and burns and stings from time to time. I'm having some phantom pain where it feels like the end of my finger stings and itches where the finger is gone. From the way it looks it's gonna have a kind of V shape and not a nice round nub. I go back to the doc next Monday. May need some plastic surgery to get a nice round nub but I'll ask about that when I go back. I'm sure they will wait till it heals first before doing any of that. I don't think it's gonna fill in on it's own. Still on the antibiotics but only down to twice a day on the pain meds. Not sure how long it will take to heal. That finger is really tight as far as bending it. I can only bend the middle joint about 10 to 15 degrees. I try to keep bending it in hops it will loosen up. I think the infection is under control though. It's just really sore and still hurts a good bit. Still keeping my work load down to a minimum, witch is giving me to much idle time.
Thanks for asking.

Good to hear it's improving SB. Don't over do it.
Yesterday marked 2 weeks since my accident and 11 days from when they removed the finger. Not sure how long it will take to heal but I suspect at least 2 to 3 more weeks, if not longer. Thats if it heals perfectly and they don't have to do anything else to it. It does feel like it's healing though. It's just gonna take some time. I did pick up the Les Paul last night for a few min just to see if I could play with just 3 fingers and that's not happening. To many cords depend on the index finger to pull off. Once I can put a slide on that finger I may try to start to play with a slide. I'm just gonna have to wait and see. My mowing only lasted about an hour and a half till I was done. I mowed about 3/4 of my 3 1/2 acres. That 48'' belly mower knocks it out pretty fast.

Finger seems better and I'm not having as much pain with it. It's sore as hell though. Healing seems good but slow and I have spots that still have no skin yet. I'm off the antibiotics tomorrow and it's been a few days without any pain meds. Going to doc Monday for a check up. I'm going crazy on light duty and getting cabin fever. Weather is great and I got wood to split but still trying to stay away from heavy work for now. I won't lie, I'm going up and down emotionally but I'm getting to the point where I'm just ready to heal and get past this and move on.

Finger seems better and I'm not having as much pain with it. It's sore as hell though. Healing seems good but slow and I have spots that still have no skin yet. I'm off the antibiotics tomorrow and it's been a few days without any pain meds. Going to doc Monday for a check up. I'm going crazy on light duty and getting cabin fever. Weather is great and I got wood to split but still trying to stay away from heavy work for now. I won't lie, I'm going up and down emotionally but I'm getting to the point where I'm just ready to heal and get past this and move on.
Good news. It could have been much worse.
I wish I was close by and could come and split for you.
Take care.
Clint

It sounds like you are beginning to deal with it physically and emotionally. Good for you!

it's only been a couple of weeks. I imagine it will take a couple of months to even start to approach familiarity.
I try to tell myself how much worse things can be and I have a friend that has gone through chemo 3 times and just had a large tuoer removed from his brain just about a week ago. I went to see him after he got home the other day and he gave me a big ol hug and said "every day above ground is a good day" and he is so right. My thing happened in an instant and the instant I saw my finger dangling there I already knew things had just changed for me for ever. But I'm getting tired of being hurt and I'm ready to just get better and move on with it. I've got some rehab to go through yet as that finger is as tight as a guitar string. Still can't bend it more then 10 to 15 degrees. I hope it loosens up a lot more but that's gonna take time and a lot of work. Having been hurt many times before I know that healing will take time.

Good news. It could have been much worse.
I wish I was close by and could come and split for you.
Take care.
Clint
Thanks clint53
I would take you up on that and give you all the profits from it. I hate to see my inventory get low and if I don't get busy soon I may run out in a few months when sales would b at it's highest. That's gonna be a hit that will come down the road in a few months. Thanks for the offer, I need some company. At least during the covid lock down I could stay busy splitting wood. I've mowed the grass almost everyday just to have something to do. Yard looks good though.
I did vote last week in person. Not gonna let anything stop me from that.

Ok people. At some point kids may ask what happened to my finger. A customer said his friend that has a missing finger told the kid he was picking his nose and a mean bugger bit it off. lol Thats a good one.
I need some more funny come backs. Lets hear them.
Not a joke but true story.
I had a friend that in the heat of a battle stuck his finger in his soon to be X wife's face and she tried to bite it off.
Then the dog got involved and tried to bite him.

I went to the plastic surgeon today. He didn't like how it was healing. Said I had some nerve damage and some other things going on. I can't remember the medical terms. They opened it all back up and cut out some more bone and flesh out of it and stitched it back up. So I'm basically starting all over again. It's a little shorter then it was but it's rounded over much better then it was. It's still numb from the local and I can't wait for it to start throbbing again. I have a feeling it's gonna be a long night. No infection though so thats good. He wants to see me in a week.

The healing and slow time is the hardest. Take it slow and let it heal. You will be happy you did!
df34c3b3cabc8ad725e02fd2eff1ba3d.jpg

325af3dc5dd7977bf6ee0cccf12a0a25.jpg

cfa4afde4211b0554a6edafcf9a0719d.jpg

The healing and slow time is the hardest. Take it slow and let it heal. You will be happy you did!
df34c3b3cabc8ad725e02fd2eff1ba3d.jpg

325af3dc5dd7977bf6ee0cccf12a0a25.jpg

cfa4afde4211b0554a6edafcf9a0719d.jpg
Man they did a number on you.
It's the starting over that sucks. I was almost 4 weeks into healing and they had to cut me up again.I hope that's the last time and it heals correctly now. I hate sitting around and waiting. I got work to do. But sit I will so I don't have to start over again. All that pain I went through and I have to go through it again.

Latest posts

Back