One of my last good saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn saws.

Orderd 12 carbide burrs a few 1/4" shapes a few 1/8
Also a few 440 parts 2 coils one for the 290 i have sitting.
Now thinking about tearing the down 281 seeing why it smeared the piston. Fix it fab a intake toss a k&n on it. Off crouse make it move more fuel and air.
Maybe cut with it maybe get rid of it.

I was also looking at oem 046 top ends. Can you grind a lower transfer passage through the cylinder into crankcase to gain some volume.
That thought went away pretty quick the 440 is pushing over 150psi so it should get close to 180.
Anyways i gota get to bed.

Have a good one everyone

One lower transfer roughed in. Scary chip at the bottom. This might be a practice cylinder. I havent tried to clean it up yet.

Plan is blend lowers to the bottom bump uppers to the intake raise exhaust and intake roughly the thickness of the gasket and widen to safe margin. Ive got lots of burrs on the way.

20180305_190627.jpg 20180305_190627.jpg 20180305_190351.jpg

20180306_233752.jpg
Yes. I couldnt resist putting the puzzle pieces together. Now i gota take it apart split it and do bearings and seals. Offcourse i cant find my t27 to pull the cylinder. Looking through exhaust ot looks pretty good though i think the rings stuck from sitting, has no scoring on exhaust side.
Im very impressed the tank all bolted on. I was expecting antivibe mount locations to be way off.

View attachment 637725
Yes. I couldnt resist putting the puzzle pieces together. Now i gota take it apart split it and do bearings and seals. Offcourse i cant find my t27 to pull the cylinder. Looking through exhaust ot looks pretty good though i think the rings stuck from sitting, has no scoring on exhaust side.
Im very impressed the tank all bolted on. I was expecting antivibe mount locations to be way off.
Hopefully you'll find it.
What cylinder is that one. Hopefully you can clean up the groove/ring and run it.
They've been making those tanks for years, you'd hope that feedback from customers helped correct any issues by now if it's a company that's been around.
Do you cut mainly softwood running a long bar on the oh44's, wouldn't want to run any more than a 24 on mine in hardwood, but I've got other larger 70cc saws to choose from as well as the 660. I use the smallest one I can most times though unless I'm out cutting firewood or just playing, then it's a few for all and you never know what I'll be running.

Big dry red fir.
20" to over 4ft . Though i try to pick trees that arent way passed a 32" bar tip. 066 definitely is the better saw for big dry fir but i got rid of them all.

This saw i checked and it was 150lbs of compression but that was 5 years ago. From what i can see there should be no issues getting it going.

I kinda went carbide burr crazy on ebay. Im not even sure what i have coming.

Decided to tear it down first. No since in doing bearings if it doesnt need it.

It is not a slant fine

Though my other cylinder is i think
I saw that, the 10mm/slant fin doesn't mean much once ported anyway, I'd rather have another cylinder that comes on a 12mm myself anyway.
I missed a flat top 066 a couple moths ago, still kicking myself, it was very clean and those are hard to find.
Looking forward to seeing where you go with this one.

Heres my sig pic on ground. One 20180307_174327.png if not biggest ive layed down. Dropn these is like taking drugs you just want more

So couldnt find my t27 t handle. And havent been anywhere to buy one.
20180307_180327.jpg 20180307_180350.jpg

I did grab the calipers and verify its a 12mm saw.

Maybe i never checked compression both rings have slight discoloration and got hot enough to stick. Saw looks to have run lean for its life and finlaly got hot enough to and said screw you im done. Not sure if ill ring it or run these. I havent tried to break them loose yet.
Cylinder looks to be low miles. Very clean concidering i got it from a logger and it had a twist tank on it and it was run over for probly the second and final odd it was.
I wonder if it was still pushing 150 with stuck rings.
20180307_181240.jpg 20180307_181352.jpg

Im not gona split it.

Yes correct sir. Ive been ordering bits and reamers from place selling on ebay with good results.

No reason to fire the cummins up when theres tools handy to make it work for less than 5 minutes work.

Should start getting burrs in the mail today. Thinking about widening lower transfers or angleing one side but not sure its worrh as much effort as i put into that scrench. But alittle here and there adds up

Well i got my burrs today out of the mail box burs for the dremel and die grinder.

Iffcours i had to try them out. I finished the lower transfers then roughed in exhaust side then started working the intake. I had planned this cylinder for practice.
Though id thought maybe id go kinda wild on it. I was thinking to go alittle wilder on this one. I took the exhaust to the limit then even before widing intake at the cylinder wall i took the burr through the intake kneck grrrr. Grrrr

So i guess it really was a practice cylinder
20180309_141421.jpg

20180309_150525.jpg 20180309_151845.jpg

I really like the little tree shaped burr on the dremel.

Not sure ill bell the exhaust out as much as some of the other guys that grind. None of these are finished. I have a burr shaped like a tree that tapers from 1/4" down to 1/8" for the big grinder but i havent tried it yet.

Pics look like ive played on the floor and roof off exhaust but i havent the shapes just changed to the burr shape.

Itl take a few times fitting the piston to make sure ive got what im looking for.

This parts almost as fun as cutting with saws that have these mild mods

Latest posts

Back