One Saw To Rule Them All...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you guys could have only one saw for everything, what would you pick? What do you consider the best all around saw of them all. I understand there are saws used for different purposes.

In other words, if you are living in a distopian future, and you are the only person left alive, and you could take only one saw with you, what would it be? Remember you will have to use this saw for felling trees, building shelters, carving, milling, maybe killing zombies, and all around survival. No you can't go to a dealership and just pick up a different saw even though nobody else is alive to stop you.

The point of this thread isn't to write some fan fiction, just using that as an example to determine what the best all around saw is.

I first bought a H445 for that reason, an al round saw it is at the cost I was able to afford.
Later I discovered that it was, but too heavy for jumping happily around the log cutting branches.
I just missed desperately that 3,3kg 25ccm top handle that I could carry around in my right hand while climbing around the log.
Now I have both and that is my conclusion, no saw rule them all unless it's less than 4kg.

Silky Katanaboy. No petroleum or elecricity needed. Silent. Concealable. If ICE powered then it would have to be something that could run on pure ethanol, that I could brew and distill myself.

There is no saw that is king or even great. Just saws that are average. When I cut logs I want big displacement, but could not cut a bunch of small limbs with the same saw. If I had to chose a couple of saws for little work it would be a 372 XP and a MS 660. They are not perfect, but they can perform well enough to accomplish some thing. Thanks

At 67 I still carry a 070 075 and 076 most weeks. It is amazing how lite they get after a couple of hard weeks. Last year had some bad weeks with my back and thought this is it. Some deep heat lots of stretching can do wonders. Most of the time I wonder how did this thing get so heavy. A 372 XP feels like it is a feather weight slicing and dicing. Thanks

262xp Husqvarna for sure, it's been with me close to 25 years, I can't imagine not having it with me for everything. Of course I wouldn't mind my 372 as a backup or my old 4200 countervibe poulan.

31zRw1XqfqL.jpg

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/lynx-one-man-crosscut-log-saw.aspx

Back