Only gripe I've got for Stihl 461... So far

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User Name Here

Lowly Firewood Cutter
Reaction score
About 3 weeks ago I bought a new 461 with a 20" bar. I switched the 20 with the 28" that I already had for my 440 until the 32" bar I ordered came in. I've been cutting a little firewood (3 loads) and I have came to my only gripe so far. There is no prefilter for the air filter. Why? I know the answer.... "Oh our new design is much better and eliminates the need for a prefilter". Bull hock! After only 3 loads of firewood my filter is getting clogged. I know it's not a big gripe but come on they could've used the prefilter and made maintenance a lot easier. Usually on my 440 a quick cleaning of the prefilter is all that is needed after every 5-6 loads.

Here's what you need.

STIHL MS441 20-2471 - Outerwears, Inc. - Original manufacturer of Pre-Filters & Shockwears
1110131137_VT9Bo-M.jpg

No, unfortunately I was too excited about the 461 to notice the filter. I really like the prefilter pictured above. Where can you find one? I also just thought about getting a prefilter from a 440 because the filters are the same size

thanks for the link ,my 461 top of its covered in dust after a tank or 2 of fuel ,im gonna order a few of those ,run the same brand on my atv filters ,they work good

Na the post is cheap on these,i have them on most of my HD2 filters they work a treat.
You don't need them on the 441s because there filter system is way better than the old school saws.:smile2:

:confused:Andrew you must be getting it cheaper than the calculated rate off there site?cause $17.65 for 2 aint real cheap to me

Last edited:
I found the paperwork from the last lot i got,i got 5 of them and the freight was $26.65.
They also have one for the 261,241 Part # 20-1114-01 WR10-1.5 TBK 3 X 1 1/2

Last edited:
Does any one run the stihls with the filter cover off when there's no chance of rain? It seems the filters stay cleaner that way. I ran the 066 like that with the HD 2 filter and it would go a long time without clogging with fines.

Back