Openly admitting being an "amateur" + free gear = good idea or irresponsible?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definately prefer the youtube videos where it goes bad- maybe these types of "instructional diy" videos will give those a boost

If you watch enough You Tubes, you will see experts (and not so experts) doing dangerous stuff all the time. Sometimes it's because an expert is so comfortable with his skills, he he doesn't need things like machine guards (watch Jimmy Diresta use a bandsaw). And the Safety Police are constantly hammering away at them.

My thought is, if a person who watches a you tube and doesn't have the common sense to determine when they shouldn't do something because they don't have the necessary skills, then let accept that Darwin was right and natural selection should take it's course.

I dare say most safety devices have there place even with the expert. Without a doubt combined, knowledge and common sense are more useful. These seem to be diminishing in today's world.

I cannot agree with your final conclusion. I doubt you would either if someone close to you was seriously injured or killed due to their ignorance as to what skills are required, what risks are posed or just due to a general lack of knowledge or common sense.

Ron

I dare say most safety devices have there place even with the expert. Without a doubt combined, knowledge and common sense are more useful. These seem to be diminishing in today's world.

I cannot agree with your final conclusion. I doubt you would either if someone close to you was seriously injured or killed due to their ignorance as to what skills are required, what risks are posed or just due to a general lack of knowledge or common sense.

Ron

Agree in general, (not just specific to tree work and saws etc) to the first part. It's pretty obvious that neither safety equipment or experience/skill individually can guarantee bad stuff doesn't happen, but of course nothing really can. I have in my professions taken many risks when it seemed necessary and my experience told me I could, but I could never come up with a situation in my mind when some or all of my safety equipment and safety precautions were completely ignored.

As to the second part, being ignorant (Ie not knowing things) isn't dangerous. It's being ignorant of your ignorance that leads to trouble. It hurts to lose friends or have them badly injured through their own negligence, but it doesn't change the fact that the best example some people set in their lives is how they end their own.

There should be no such thing as luck in this business. And there is no such thing as an accident. Luck is what you have when you misjudged or over-looked something and it still goes your way. An accident is what you have when it doesn't go your way. There is no place for either in this line of work and this should be the general thinking of any of us who are professionals.

Things can get serious real quick. Last month we had a new climber misjudge how deep he made his back cut while taking the top out on a big spruce. He made his notch and was making his back cut and cut through his hinge, so instead of the top going over and breaking the hinge it jumped back and into his lap, luckily it then fell sideways and to the ground. If it hadn't fallen sideways and instead fell back towards him it would've folded him in half backwards. All he got was a few cuts and bruises but could've easily died in an instant.

Things can get serious real quick. Last month we had a new climber misjudge how deep he made his back cut while taking the top out on a big spruce. He made his notch and was making his back cut and cut through his hinge, so instead of the top going over and breaking the hinge it jumped back and into his lap, luckily it then fell sideways and to the ground. If it hadn't fallen sideways and instead fell back towards him it wouldn't folded him in half backwards. All he got was a few cuts and bruises but could've easily died in an instant.

See? Lucky. There is no place for lucky where we exist. :)

LOL... first time I've ever seen a vid of a guy face-planting the top of a stem in first person perspective.

I've seen a few of this guy's vids before this and some of them are interesting. He should have done more research on how to use the rigging gear , but common sense would dictate that five wraps is way too many.

LOL... first time I've ever seen a vid of a guy face-planting the top of a stem in first person perspective.

I've seen a few of this guy's vids before this and some of them are interesting. He should have done more research on how to use the rigging gear , but common sense would dictate that five wraps is way too many.

We had a saying back in my old outfit, a riff off of Admiral Nimitz "Common sense is an uncommon virtue"

The guy seemed to know how to use the gear so he must have some experience but still....

I have fallowed this YouTube channel for weeks now, he is a wealth of knowledge and entertainment, and a volunteer firefighter/logger. That being said he didn’t use his chain guard when pushing over the sections and that’s just ****ing crazy.

5 wraps would hold the whole tree !
Where can I learn to use a portawrap? I currently
Just wrap around the base of the tree or something with 2 or three clove hitches then climb down after each section to lower it since I work alone

Just for a moment here, Let's skip the power lines and other targets
and assume his hinge was good, plus properly aimed.
Alrighty then. Was the climber getting trunk-slapped just simply
the ground crowd didn't feed the line when it time to do so?
That's my gut thought at least.
If not:
Was the friction device rigged correctly, enough wraps on the tube, too many?
I expect that may be very much influenced by the particular rope used and it's condition.
Rope on the correct side of the tree?
Now if the rope snagged or tangled, I'm sorry that I couldn't see it in the video.
My eyes and flash video don't mesh so greatly.

They had 5 wraps on the porty which I guess is too many? Never used one myself.. would a dynamic rope instead of static rope
Cause less jolting of the climber? I currently work alone so that would benefit me

Great video thanks!

So what did he do wrong in This video? Besides being inexperienced and wrapping to many times it loooka like a good job to me..
He did not mention it could be a problem letting the piece cut run to clear the climber and not shake the hell out of the tree! Too many wraps and the climber is in trouble!

The guys main job is YouTube. He does some cool videos. Likeable personality with interesting content but nearly everyThing he does kind of wreeks of “let’s see if I can get more views no matter the legitimacy of my actions”. If he was more “organic” in his videos I’d still be subscribed but I ditched his channel years ago. Just couldn’t take him serious anymore although I do wish him the best and want his YouTube celebrity status to carry on. He’s a professional celebrity. Making online movies that’s the truth of it.

And damn groundie could stop a d9 with 5 wraps!

The guys main job is YouTube. He does some cool videos. Likeable personality with interesting content but nearly everyThing he does kind of wreeks of “let’s see if I can get more views no matter the legitimacy of my actions”. If he was more “organic” in his videos I’d still be subscribed but I ditched his channel years ago. Just couldn’t take him serious anymore although I do wish him the best and want his YouTube celebrity status to carry on. He’s a professional celebrity. Making online movies that’s the truth of it.

And damn groundie could stop a d9 with 5 wraps!
That there D9 would break the rope ;)

Back