Opinions on this big tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sick or healthy?

• Looks healthy to me!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tree looks sick, but can be cured. (Please comment with details)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tree is dying and needs to be taken down.

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

Erinfuentes5214

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Forgive me for being totally clueless, but does this tree look sick? We have lived here a few years now and each year pine needles fall to the ground. I have never noticed how the tree progresses into winter but I recently read pines are supposed to be evergreen. Again, I have no knowledge of trees. Just want to make sure we are taking care of it as well as we can and if it is dying we can take care of that before someone gets hurt. Thank you!

Attachments

• D231484C-2C04-4B88-9169-812E8571E161.jpeg
    D231484C-2C04-4B88-9169-812E8571E161.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 82
Are there tiny little 1/8th inch holes everywhere on the trunk n scaffold branches?

Looks like a half dead Ips beetle kill pine to my eye.

Jomoco
Interesting, thank you! I just went out to check, no visible holes as far as I can tell and the bark isn't peeling like I read could happen.

Ips kills from the top down.

A good pair of binoculars will usually reveal the telltale pin holes n yellow dust frass trails up top.

Jomoco

Ips kills from the top down.

A good pair of binoculars will usually reveal the telltale pin holes n yellow dust frass trails up top.

Jomoco

Thank you! I've been looking for a good excuse to get a pair of binoculars. I'll take a look up top as soon as I can.
If it is the Ips beetles, there's nothing we can do, correct?

Thank you! I've been looking for a good excuse to get a pair of binoculars. I'll take a look up top as soon as I can.
If it is the Ips beetles, there's nothing we can do, correct?

Correct, at least not without breakin the law.

The tree's root zone's compacted beyond reason, weakening the tree, which emits pheromones, attracting the bugs.

You're in Callie!

Plant a fuggin palm tree dude!

They can withstand garage area compaction n abuse!

I'll bet your soil PH is more alkaline than acidic as well.

Jomoco

Correct, at least not without breakin the law.

The tree's root zone's compacted beyond reason, weakening the tree, which emits pheromones, attracting the bugs.

You're in Callie!

Plant a fuggin palm tree dude!

They can withstand garage area compaction n abuse!

I'll bet your soil PH is more alkaline than acidic as well.

Jomoco
Haha palm trees are a pain in the butt. Those things need to be climbed and trimmed too often for us.
I’m going to have my husband clear out the area, hopefully that will give us a little more time with our favorite tree. I had no idea this could happen. I’m pretty bummed.

Golden Meddalion Trees are all the rage now!

They contrast quite strikingly with Mexican Bird of Paradise bushes!

Try it, you'll like it.

Jomoco

It's a pine tree in the middle of a flea market, with vehicle traffic right over its root zone. I'd say you're killing it. Replace it with a ceramic yard gnome. They're low maintenance, and will guard your garage sale while you're at lunch.

That looks like a Stone pine to my eye, Pinus pinea, lovely trees, but susceptible to the Ips beetle unfortunately.

I hear amending peat moss into the soil's one means or raising acidity.

Take a soil sample to your county ag plant pathology lab for PH tests etc, just a sandwich baggie half full.

They'll analyze it and send you a report on it free of charge.

Let that report guide your subsequent actions to improve the health of your beautiful stone pine.

https://m.wikihow.com/Acidify-Soil

Jomoco

That looks like a Stone pine to my eye, Pinus pinea, lovely trees, but susceptible to the Ips beetle unfortunately.

I hear amending peat moss into the soil's one means or raising acidity.

Take a soil sample to your county ag plant pathology lab for PH tests etc, just a sandwich baggie half full.

They'll analyze it and send you a report on it free of charge.

Let that report guide your subsequent actions to improve the health of your beautiful stone pine.

https://m.wikihow.com/Acidify-Soil

Jomoco
You were right. I’ve been talking to some people who inspect trees and our tree has maybe a few years left.

Even found a culprit this morning. I’m very sad! Thank you for all your help in figuring this out.

Attachments

• 6F0B14BE-1EE9-48DC-BE92-15E2062B0C09.jpeg
    6F0B14BE-1EE9-48DC-BE92-15E2062B0C09.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 21

Latest posts

Back