Opinions on trimming (or removing) a leaning Manitoba Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorontoGuy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

On a residential property, I have a leaning Manitoba Maple, which is about 15-16" in diameter. Seven pictures are attached.

Issues:

* It is leaning and growing now over the house
* Weight definitely not balanced as growth seems only to be toward the house direction
* There is a parking spot/pad about 3 feet away from the base of the tree
* The parking spot/pad has been dug into the ground about 42"
* Essentially soil/ground is only available for 3/4 of the tree roots (think one quadrant removed)

I was thinking of essentially hiring someone to trim approx 40-45% of the tree (all on the side growing towards the house)
I was thinking it could be trimmed pretty much in a vertical plane somewhat balancing the tree out.

Would that work or would it be better just removing the whole tree and replanting?

I somewhat like the tree and the shade and height.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Tom
IMG_2952.jpgIMG_2953.jpgIMG_2955.JPGIMG_2957.jpgIMG_2958.jpgIMG_2959.JPGIMG_2960.jpg

Nice tree, but not in a good spot or well balanced at all.
Obviously should have been dealt with and removed with when the parking retaining walls were installed or sooner.
Trees never get smaller over time.
I know you probably enjoy the shade over the cars, but if it were me, I'd remove the whole tree so I don't have to go down this road again in 5-10 years.
I'd call a pro (Arborist with a good service record) and ask for different options and costs.
It is a safety issue and best case scenario, if it were to fall, is that it will crush both cars. We wont go into worst cases.
Remove it and clean up that overgrowth of bush and creeping vine in that that corner.
An option is that you could always install a carport structure to keep the weather off the cars.

Nice tree, but not in a good spot or well balanced at all.
Obviously should have been dealt with and removed with when the parking retaining walls were installed or sooner.
Trees never get smaller over time.
I know you probably enjoy the shade over the cars, but if it were me, I'd remove the whole tree so I don't have to go down this road again in 5-10 years.
I'd call a pro (Arborist with a good service record) and ask for different options and costs.
It is a safety issue and best case scenario, if it were to fall, is that it will crush both cars. We wont go into worst cases.
Remove it and clean up that overgrowth of bush and creeping vine in that that corner.
An option is that you could always install a carport structure to keep the weather off the cars.
===================================================
Hi Marine5068 and fellow Ontarioan,

Thanks for the reply. I am thinking that is probably the best route to take as you said trees don't get smaller over time.
That along with all the other issues. You have made it somewhat clearer in my mind.

Thanks, Tom

Back