Opposite of PITA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deere John

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Last week, I beaked about the pain that homeowners can be. I figured the fair thing to do would be to ask everyone if homeowners have taught you a trick or two.

I learned quite a bit about Lilac care and problems from homeowners who new their lilacs but could no longer care for them themselves.

Others??

Nice new format Darin - and congrats on more sponsors. Your site is growing! Question - where in the "smiles" do I find the bouncing little guy? - the one that bounces up and down like, well, you know, a bouncing baby? :D

This is to my original post. I have had some customers give me things that they figure I can appreciate more than them. I have been given axes, an old cross-cut saw, an old falling hand saw, various wedges and an old safety belt - (never to be used again!). I was also given an almost new lawnboy mower as a tip by a guy that hired a service and didn;t need the mower and liked my service.

I have mounted the old saws on the wall, unfinished or unpainted, for others to see.

Anyone else get gifts of kindness or tips?

Yeah, I have recieved numberous chainsaws, camping tents, lawnmowers, baseball cards, bunch of things. Mostly from retired people that say they dont need them anymore. Maybe I just look like I need things?? HEHE. Somtimes the thing they are trying to give you goodwill wouldnt even take and its hard to say no when they think its so wonderful. Some people are still very generous, but like I said its usually the older people. They also can be some of the nastiest too. :confused:

I once got an $80 tip for doing a $100 job for this sweet old lady. She also made the best iced tea I ever tasted. I couldn't take the $80, but she insisted, so I took $40 instead. Then she sent my wife a Lenox lead-crystal ornament worth over three hundred dollars. Last I heard, her daughter took over her finances. We haven't been called back since then. I guess she didn't like the idea of mom giving away her inheritance so freely.:angel:

Yeah, I love working for the nutty old ladies. Everyone is memorable. Sometimes its hard to take tips or gifts. They are so proud of them, I dont want to insult them not to take gifts. It could go the other way I suppose.:alien:

Neat observation Darin - now that you made me think, all tips, trinkets and collectable ( and some junk too) came from retired people. I think they are very happy to get good service and attention, and I guess they also came from a time when it was more customary to reward good service/work with a tip.

Younger people don't do that.

Back