ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Optima batteries

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by 1Alpha1, Jan 20, 2019.

1. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Just be glad you didn't pay some money towards another on if they are no good! Unless there is a drain or something found I would stay away.

2. 1Alpha1

1Alpha1 100% USDA certified abnormality-free.

Depends on who's looking for me.....and why.

This was the 1st time I've had an issue with an Interstate battery. No battery, no matter how well it's made, will last forever. I was just disappointed with how the dealer treated me. He should have pro-rated a new battery and asked me to make up the difference. I would have happily paid out some money.

I charge the battery over night about every 4th night or so, to keep it fully charged. If I don't hear back from Interstate Battery by the end of the week, I'm gonna go buy a NAPA premium battery.

I was thinking about an Odyssey AGM battery, but we don't have a dealer here that sells um. And, there's the stipulation that it needs to be placed on it's back in order to fit the Honda battery tray. I just don't feel like jerry rigging something in order to make it fit.

lone wolf likes this.
  3. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

What amps are you charging at you may need to use a slow rate low power charger so you dont cook it. Only a one or two amps. https://no.co/products

Husky Man likes this.
  4. 1Alpha1

I'm using an older version of the one below. 12V and 1.25A charge rate. I have two of the older versions and one of the newer version.

All are 12V and 1.25A. I have an Odyssey battery in my BMW m/c. The battery will be 7 yrs. old later this month. When the bike isn't being ridden, it's hooked up to a Battery Tender Plus, all the time.

According to Odyssey, it's not all that uncommon to get 12 yrs. of use out of their batteries.

Plus-12V-Battery-Charger-Ne_540x540.jpg

5. 1Alpha1

We are both retired, so no, it doesn't get driven everyday. But, it does get driven often enough. My truck sits on the driveway for the most part. It doesn't get driven unless we need it for something. It too, has an Interstate battery in it, and no issues. Not sure how old it is, but it's a few years old. I keep a Battery Tender Plus on it for a good week or so, then take it off periodically.

Yeah, I am leaning towards the NAPA battery if I do buy a new one.

6. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

We been going through a few batteries here in one week its like 15 degrees.

7. Sawyer Rob

Sawyer Rob Addicted to ArboristSite

I have some of those same chargers, they go to "float" once the batt. is charged. You don't need to take them off.

SR

lone wolf likes this.
  8. 1Alpha1

Roger that! The one for my m/c stays hooked up whenever it's not being ridden.

lone wolf likes this.
  9. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Row Seatin'

Interstates have been my go to, budget permitted. Hopefully they haven't gotten crappier..

10. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

I wonder where they are made now?

11. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

[​IMG]
    Interstate Battery
    Updated, January 19, 2016 by contributing editors. "Search America 1st"
    Always verify USA Origin
    Automobile Battery, Commercial Truck Battery, Automotive Batteries, Small Engine / Lawn Mower Battery
    The actual origin of the manufacturing process for Interstate Batteries is vague. The automotive, truck, and marine batteries are made by Johnson Controls which makes 65% of the automotive, truck, and marine batteries sold in the USA. Johnson Controls also makes the batteries for Wal-Mart and AutoZone. From Louisiana to Southern California the Interstate brand batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States.

See other companies that manufacture batteries in the USA. Click Here

Interstate Batteries® supplies vehicle batteries for Automobiles, Commercial Trucks and Small Engines. Since 1952 their SLI batteries (starting, lighting, ignition) have been purchased by thousands of car owners. “We do have some batteries manufactured in Mexico but not all of them. We have several plants located here in the US located in the North, East, South and West. If a battery is manufactured in Mexico it is required by law to have a sticker on the top of it that says “Made in Mexico”. If there is not sticker, it is made in the USA.”

Every Interstate battery is “backed by the Outrageously Dependable® service, quality and value you’ve come to trust from Interstate. With a distribution system of nearly 300 Distributors and 1,200 route trucks, servicing more than 200,000 dealers across the U.S. in our network, we are positioned to provide the best service and availability of our products.” If a replacement battery is required, Interstate’s batteries can be returned to any Interstate dealer in the U.S. for warranty service.

Find an Interstate Batteries dealer Local Dealer Here.

Since their major automotive battery manufacturer is an American company with locations worldwide, approximately 98% of the automotive batteries Interstate sells are made in the USA. With the exception of the power sport batteries (motorcycle, jet skis, ATV’s, etc) the automotive batteries and small engine / lawn mower batteries are made in the USA.

Visit Website: http://www.interstatebatteries.com/cs_eStore/VehicleBatteriesPhone: 866-842-5368

12. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

I've had great experiences with Deka batteries, made by East Penn. Used to use the Interstate MegaTron batteries till they changed something, by far the best batteries I ever had till around 2012 or so, after that they were pretty unexceptional. Switched to Deka and haven't looked back, 6 years out of them in the last truck and they were still strong when I sold it. I have half a dozen of them in various equipment and all of them have lasted over 5 years in seasonal use with no maintenance charging. Might get 2-3 years out of other batteries I've tried.

lone wolf likes this.
  13. 1Alpha1

I'm in no way saying or implying that Interstate Batteries aren't what they used to be. I still believe them to be one of the best batteries on the market.

My beef is with the dealer that it was purchased from. We bought it from him, as well as the Interstate Battery in my pick-up. He could have just stood tall and made it right.

Instead, it was his position, that the battery had been abused. No way in Hell was that true. I don't have a clue as to why he took the stand that he did, but I do know that we won't be going back to him for future batteries.

WRW likes this.
  14. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

I'll take the position that they aren't what they used to be. They were my go-to at one point then I noticed that they weren't holding up like they used to. It was around when the Megatron II batteries started showing up everywhere, the originals were great.

1Alpha1 and lone wolf like this.
  15. 1Alpha1

I'm sure that some things get better as technology progresses. But not all things. Corners are cut, quality takes a dive here and there, and speed to get it made and out the door and on the market, becomes imperative.

Seems like prices go up and the quality goes down, more often than not. I suppose that's just the ebb and flow of things now-a-days. :nofunny:

16. Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks ArboristSite Guru

Nearly every battery I've bought in the past 20 years has been an Optima. The only one that wasn't was a battery for my 2013 Shelby one of a kind car. I felt I should keep it 100% stock. I get yellow tops for the truck about every 6 years and hand down the old ones to the Falcon and Dune Buggy. I even put a yellow top in my 2014 Fusion I used to have.

17. 1Alpha1

I do thank all of you for your replies and comments. Truth-be-told, I'm kind of getting burned out, making all this effort to iron out a battery issue. It should never have come to this.

Anyways, it's going to be a NAPA premium battery if Interstate Battery doesn't contact me before this coming Friday. It's a good thing I'm retired, cause I'd never put this much effort into a battery issue while still working. :dizzy:

18. jaroh

jaroh ArboristSite Operative

I have a red top optima that I purchased around 2002. It has been in my 1973 bronco since day one. It has been dead more than once. The charger said there was nothing, zero, i mean really dead!!! I would leave it on the charger for days and all of a sudden the battery was good again. The newer optima batteries I have heard were of lesser quality than the older ones. Now when I buy batteries I usually look for a AGM style. They seem to last around 5 to 8 years and no mess to clean up like a lead acid type. I usually find the best price at orileys or auto zone. Never fails when my battery dies and I need one now, walmart is out of the battery I need!!

19. 92utownxh

92utownxh ArboristSite Operative

I know you're going with Interstate or Napa, but wanted to give my 2 cents. I've used Interstate before, no real issue, but didn't last long. The best I've used are Duralast batteries from Autozone. I don't care for Autozone, but the batteries are top notch. I have one in my Civic that's now 11 years old, no problems at all, knock on wood. I had one in my Jeep that was 10 years old when I sold it. I didnt' drive it much and never trickle charged it. It always started right up. One time I had a couple year old Duralast in a van. It kept not starting when it was really cold. Took the battery in and got a brand new one for free, no questions asked.

1Alpha1 likes this.
  20. 1Alpha1

That's good to know. I've heard of Duralast batteries. I have an AutoZone not too far from where I live.

I'll call them and see what their battery sells for, and how long it's warranty is. Thanks for posting!