Options for a Husky 61?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie294life

Brush Popper and Amateur Tree Butcher
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a 61 for 125$ it has a broke brake flag, but other than that promises to be a runner. Pending a clean bill of health, what kinds of upgrades can be made to this saw? From what I understand it’s the same platform as the newer 372, and may be able to run a 50mm or even a 52mm p&c. It’s one of the newer 61's not the white or blacktop.

You could put a 266,268 or 272 top end on it, all good choices. I wouldn't bother with the Chinese cylinders, try and find a good used OEM one.

That’s what I was led to believe. Is this a direct placement or do mufflers and intake boots/carbs all have to be swapped out? I know the top plastic is different, and that would have to go.

I think with the newer 61 you can reuse the intake block,elbow, filter and top cover with any of those. for the 272 cylinder you would need to order the carb bolts. The 61 carb will work but I would try and find one that came off one of them saws, like a 234 or 260.

I’m looking to buy a 61 for 125$ it has a broke brake flag, but other than that promises to be a runner. Pending a clean bill of health, what kinds of upgrades can be made to this saw? From what I understand it’s the same platform as the newer 372, and may be able to run a 50mm or even a 52mm p&c. It’s one of the newer 61's not the white or blacktop.
No 372 compatibility with a 61. 162, 66, 268 & 272 cylinders should fit but different intake and silencer components may also be needed.

How does the ‘ol 272xp compare with a 372xp functionally? I know there are a lot of upgrades on the 372 like a better air filter and onboard clutch, but how does the power compare? I’m assuming both are closed port? I’d like to build something that would compete with a MS460.

I would say the 372 has more power and speed. I have a 670 with a 272 cylinder that I ground on a little and it's a good runner but my 371 that's also been ground is faster.
670/272

for 125 that 61 should be in nice shape. 372 is a way more advanced saw than the 61. 2 most notable are anti vibe and much larger I mean much larger ports. 372 would put a 61 even a 272 on the trailer every time....Run with a 460....I would start with a 372 OE.

good luck

To put a larger cylinder on a 61 is very straightforward. You can get by with that carb and intake tract but the correct carb and intake for the larger cylinder would be preferable. Also you need the newer taller top cover and that usually means you will need to drill and tap one new hole in the top of the 61 case which is pretty easy to do. I can point you in the direction of a couple of very good threads if you wish to go this way.

272 is a strong saw but not as strong as a 372.

I’d like to build something that would compete with a MS460.
You could modify a 372 to keep up with a 460 but not the current platform you have. A real good saw builder can make a screaming 272 but it would be temperamental and more of a real experienced guy saw. When you go that far with modification constant adjustment and maintenance is required.
I get it, your buddy has a 460 and you want something to keep up. Well the 272 option with muffler mod and increased compression will help. If you want to beat him, work on racing chain and only bring it out when you want to impress. Square ground racing chain will impress.

You could modify a 372 to keep up with a 460 but not the current platform you have. A real good saw builder can make a screaming 272 but it would be temperamental and more of a real experienced guy saw. When you go that far with modification constant adjustment and maintenance is required.
I get it, your buddy has a 460 and you want something to keep up. Well the 272 option with muffler mod and increased compression will help. If you want to beat him, work on racing chain and only bring it out when you want to impress. Square ground racing chain will impress.
Actually there’s a good deal on this 61 and I’m just thinking about it’s potential, if it’s got any to pull a decent sized bar without being a total choke-fest. I’ve got a 261cm that will run up to a 20”, but looking at the hp number for the 61 it seems to be nearly identical to my current 50cc saw, so not sure what I would really gain there except weight unless I put a kit on it.

Actually there’s a good deal on this 61 and I’m just thinking about it’s potential, if it’s got any to pull a decent sized bar without being a total choke-fest. I’ve got a 261cm that will run up to a 20”, but looking at the hp number for the 61 it seems to be nearly identical to my current 50cc saw, so not sure what I would really gain there except weight unless I put a kit on it.
The 61 is a great saw in its own right but it won’t cut as fast as your modern 261 as its not a high revving saw. Still it’s a great backup saw or if you did want to do the 272 conversion it will run pretty strong.

It would be a good running saw with a 24" bar. That 670 I have for sale is about like a 268. It still has the base gasket stock muffler and could use a good tune. The second video is a 630 with 268 cylinder opened up a little.

To the OP, good advice. You should be looking for an OE 372, It's just a better saw to mod.

Latest posts

Back