Ordered a Fiskars X25 to see what it's all about

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave away the x25 to a buddy and got the x27 after finding the x25 wasn't a good fit for my 6'4" height. He's much shorter and now we are both happy.
BTW an occasional sharpening makes a difference on how well it works.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X27 is heaps faster and easier in easy to split straight grained wood. Anything harder I like a straight edged maul, as in the two cutting/splitting faces are straight not hollowed out. They either split or bounce, your not getting the head stuck all the time.

X27 is heaps faster and easier in easy to split straight grained wood. Anything harder I like a straight edged maul, as in the two cutting/splitting faces are straight not hollowed out. They either split or bounce, your not getting the head stuck all the time.

as long as you can pull it out in time isn't that all that matters?

We use a x25 for my midget wife (5,4ft 165cm dutch midget) and prefer a x27 grown man (6,4 195cm) and there is the x46 for when you want to make you back forget that you hit your thumb. X27 Is almost best for every occasion.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One mini 2 met Tapatalk

Don't know if I'd call a 5'8" man or a 5'4" woman midgets! Ha. My mates pretty close to 5foot n he prefers the x27 over the x25.

Dutch midget. Average in the rest of the world. She's part indonesian. Big pro on the x27 is the extra weight. I wouldn't have guessed the length would work for someone who's 5ft.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One mini 2 met Tapatalk

Oh ok I should of caught on, my wife's part Dutch too.
Yeh I thought it would be a bit long for him, his father inlaw has an x25 that he would swap him but he likes the x27.

so is the consensus that I should try the X27? they do not sell it on base here.....they be discriminating against us short folk...thats what it is. (FWIW most military members fall into 2 categories.....those that scrape the clouds and greet god when they wake up.....and us trolls and urchins :)

I could never suggest the short x25 but I'm about 6'1" so maybe that's the factor but I can't believe anyone can get more splitting power with a shorter handle and same axe head. X27 FTW

Yeh man, x27. It's s nice tool, won't be too long handle for you, I'm only 5'11" and the x25 is way too short for my liking.

Generally.speaking the longer handle of the X27 will generate more speed at the axe head. Multiply velocity by the weight of the axe head and you get the impact force generated.

Definately try the x 27 i use it to split wood to sell it is a beast i have bought gransfors wetterlings hultafors ox head and none hold a candle to the x27 i have splitting mauls that cost 185 bucks and my 50 dollar x27 smokes them in every catagory except looks i also have the isocore for bigger stuff but it rarely gets used i split stuff thats 24 and 28 inches with the x 27 im 6'5 300lbs also look at the john neeman finnish maul for giggles beautiful maul but what is it made of gypsy tears

I carefully read this forum wondering what is it that people like so much about the Fiskars mauls, and Ken seems to be the lone dissenting voice amidst a lot of Fiskars fans and maul sharpeners. Now, I know it's a personal preference, depends on maybe your size, level of energy and the task at hand but:

1. I've always heard NOT to over sharpen your maul - it's job is to split where the wood is weak, not cut into whatever direction you head - and I for one believe that. Mine comes to a n edge, but not sharp like an axe.

2. I have an old maul, 8 pounds, sounds much like Ken's, long hickory handle, and it blows through wood. If it boils down to force X speed X weight +/- good placement how is the Fiskar's any different?

So surely someone can illuminate me. Thanks in advance. (Let 'er rip, and tell me what I'm missing folks!)

Bob

I carefully read this forum wondering what is it that people like so much about the Fiskars mauls, and Ken seems to be the lone dissenting voice amidst a lot of Fiskars fans and maul sharpeners. Now, I know it's a personal preference, depends on maybe your size, level of energy and the task at hand but:

1. I've always heard NOT to over sharpen your maul - it's job is to split where the wood is weak, not cut into whatever direction you head - and I for one believe that. Mine comes to a n edge, but not sharp like an axe.

2. I have an old maul, 8 pounds, sounds much like Ken's, long hickory handle, and it blows through wood. If it boils down to force X speed X weight +/- good placement how is the Fiskar's any different?

So surely someone can illuminate me. Thanks in advance. (Let 'er rip, and tell me what I'm missing folks!)

Bob
It boils down to one thing Bob, geometry. Cutting edge, head design,how your force is applied to get the most efficent use of it. The fiskars weigh about half of what your maul does and that allows for more accuracy and allows you to get more speed also it being sharp allows easier entry into the wood and the geometry is just right not so wide that it is inefficient because it wont penetrate enough to get that "pop" and not so slim that it just sticks. I will make you a promise that if you tried an x27 you wouldn't pick that maul back up for a long time. I have got 2 or three now and my dad and wife and everyone that has came and used it have been blown away. But also with my mauls iwas a guy that liked to keep them sharp no factory edge on a maul has been sharp enough.

No problem it will shock you if you do it definately come back here and let me know. I havent found anyone to not find them as a big improvement. The weight difference such as amount of energy used for the amount of work that gets done is impressive. The only thing that some of the other axes are better at is looking pretty.

Latest posts

Back