Ordered new 346XP last nite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Joe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Well I did it... I ordered my new 346XP last nite....Does everyone that has one like it and do you wish you had gotten a different saw know that you have this one?? I ordered it with the 18" bar and chain....Any advice on this saw would be greatly appreciated...Thanks, Joe

Proceed to your local motor sport shop and purchase some Maxima "927" 2 cycle oil. Now not only will your saw look sharp, but now it will smell nice as well.

PP346XP

I ordered and received a PP346XP from Dan Henry (Dozerdan) about ten days ago. I love this saw! To answer your questions, no I don't wish I had ordered a different saw. I got mine with an 18" bar and 3/8" full chisel 0.050 gauge chain. I have not run a stock 346 so I have nothing to compare my modified saw to. I can tell you that I sold my 036Pro after running my new PP346XP for a day or so. Light and fast for sure. Hope you like yours as much as I do mine.

John

346xp

I bought this saw about a month ago after researching through the winter which saw to buy.

GREAT saw. You will not regret this purchase. The thing put my brother's brand new Stihl ms260 Pro to shame. This saw is very fast.

I bought mine from a local dealer.

Don't sweat it, you're going to love it.

BigJoe,
Bought my 346XP about a year ago on the recommendation of some of the guys here. Primarily I wanted a partner saw to my new 372XP. I can't believe how nice this saw is. I immediately sold my 026 and 028. You can't beat this saw's combination of power, speed and weight. I love mine and am considering a new one but modified this time. Enjoy your saw.

Woodho

Good choice Big Joe. My advise to you is don't let your wife catch you sleeping with it. She just won't understand... believe me. :p

Just wondering if there is special oil you have to mix with it being and XP model??? I am new to this so sorry if I ask any dumb questions...Also, does anyone know what will come with it for a chain? I ordered it with a 18" bar and chain and that is all I know...Thanks, Joe

I have one, its a good saw but I think my next purchase in that size will have to be a 2152 Jonsey cause the color is prettyer.... right Dennis??:D

Im assuming if you got it off the net its going to come with .325" chain at 72 drive links. I have a walkerized 346, its a great saw, plenty of power for such a small saw. Your going to enjoy it.

Big Joe

Your saw will likely come with a .325 pitch chain. I think you will like the 18" bar. The saw is very well balanced with it. I have been running Husky oil (I know they don't have a refinery) in mine at about 45:1. I may switch to the Maxima next oil purchase. You will be fine running the Husky oil, I'm sure. Just don't go to Wallyworld and buy a jug of 2-cycle outboard oil or something like that. Let us know how you like that little saw.

John

It says that the chain pitch is .325 inch .050 Is this a good set up or should I be looking to buy something else when I get it and start using it?? I have seen people that can grease the end of the bar, is this one of the bars that you will be able to grease?? Sorry to ask so many questions, I am just excited that the wife oked the purchase...Thanks, Joe

Big Joe (sprocket greasing)

Yes, that will be fine. I went to 3/8" cause that is my preference. Probably not much difference in performance. It should be a sprocket tip bar rather than a solid tip. I have heard that if you grease the sprocket, you had better continue to grease it religiously or it will not live as long as it should (something about the grease attracting grit). Have also heard that there is no difference in service life between a regularly greased one and one that is left alone (never greased). I do not know whether this is true or not. I have never greased mine. Let's see what others have to say about this.

I have never greased a sprocket tip. I clean my saws thoroughly about 3X per week with the air nozzle on my compressor. When I clean out the bar groove, bar oil runs out of the sprocket tip. If you put heavy grease in there, it will only attract sand and grit. I have never had a tip fail in 15 years of climbing.

I am also getting a 346XP from Danny Henry (It's been 10 days since you got my money, Dan... any word on when you will ship it?) as soon as he gets done turning it into a Stihl Eater. I'm going with 18", .325 pitch. I prefer the .325 on smaller saws.

Plenty of discussions here about fuel mix. Two camps here on that subject. Many like me simply use a high quality branded mix oil at 40 or 45 to 1. Others here swear by the synthetic although I have yet to see any proof or reasonable argument as to how it supposedly will make your engines last longer. I ran synthetic for a year or two several years back and noticed no difference. I have a 4 year old Echo 3400 (cheapo $250 climbing saw) that has seen 4 years of hard service and still has as good of compression as my new one. It has run on nothing but Stihl mix with premium fuel.

Big Joe, your saw will come with .325 pitch chain, probably 95vp narrow kerf. It will also come with a laminated bar. I smoked the tips on two of them on my 351 before I bought a Windsor mini-pro, no problems now. Greaseing the tip of the bar is mostly for pushing out the sawdust and anything else that gets in there. The bearing is lubed by the chain oil, the first time you bring the saw up to speed the grease will be gone.

Big Joe,
I've got a 16" bar with a 3/8 chain running a 7 tooth rim sprocket.
I'm also using Amsoils 50-1 oil.
I would use any high quality 2 stroke bike oil.You wont have a problem.
If it says it has a (TC) rating.It will be fine in any of your air cooled engines.
Just dont use anything for an outboard motor.
No good in an air cooled engine.
Mike.

<b>John</b>, is that the 036 you currently have listed for sale in the used equipment forum (and that you'd said you wanted to sell because of Husky sponsoring the training work you do)?

Just wondering.&nbsp; If it is, you might want to follow up in the other forum.

<b>Reiterch</b>, though there might be a slight difference one way or the other, I can't imagine a 346 Husky would outright spank a 260, all things being equal.&nbsp; Chain condition and technique would have to be the real factors in that comparison.

<b>Joe</b>, 18" with .325 chain will probably be the best combination for that saw.&nbsp; The .325 will cut a little faster and smoother than 3/8, even if the .325 is a standard kerf, but either would be fine if commonality with other equipment were a factor.&nbsp; I personally prefer Stihl products in general over Husky, but congratulations are in order for you nonetheless.

What have you got lined up for protective gear?

Glen

Glens

Yes, that is the saw. I have it sold to a friend. It is a great saw, but I can't use it in my safety training and my new PP346 will take its place nicely, it seems. I like Huskys and Stihls and feel they each have their strong points.

Ryan...glad to see you are awake and paying attention...lol..

Glen..why are you always talking of spanking..???:eek:

Personally I like 3/8 chain, even with that small of a powerhead....the 346 is a fantastic little saw, it will handle it just fine for everyday use...

My 346 XP is sitting on the shelf, and I go by by and look at almost daily, so close to paying for it, I'm drooling.
It will be a climbing saw, lanyard only, and my 020 needs a big brother!

Spanking?

Well, I guess it didn't exactly "spank" the 260, but the 260 choked a few times going through the same log while my Husky never flinched. The chains were about equal, his would be a bit duller as he has a tank or so of gas on me.

Though the most important factor probably was technique, mine being superior... :D

Back