Ordered new 346XP last nite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<b>John</b>, I use an 036 as my primary saw, for about the past 6 months.&nbsp; It's a little big for some things, a little small for others, but every once in a while I put a 24" bar on it and it makes a respectable showing in these Indiana hardwoods.&nbsp; I don't know that I'd replace it, but I essentially paid what you were asking for yours, but for a brand new saw with the extra 24" bar so I really couldn't pass it up.&nbsp; It comes pretty close to being most all the saw one would really need when they mostly run one on evenings and weekends.

<b>Dave</b>, I've "got" an 066 just about like you "got" your 346.&nbsp; The deal's not quite what I got on the 036, but it's darn good.&nbsp; I'd probably go ahead and use it fairly often anyway, but it's really a size more than I need.&nbsp; Listen to me; what am I saying?

<b>Dennis</b>, it's a sexual thing, but don't worry.&nbsp; Even though you're cute, you're not my type (as in gender).&nbsp; If I were to buy an Elux saw, I'd get the pretty red one too.&nbsp; Will that saw (346, stock) pull the .325-8 okay or would you have to stick with a 7 pin driver?

Glen

Yep, I agree the 036 is a great "do everything, excel at nothing "saw. If I had just one saw (and I did at one time), this would probably be it. You got a great deal on yours.

Re: Re: Spanking?

Ok! Ok! Never meant to start a Husky vs Stihl war. Both are great saws. I was a bit too hasty when I said it put the 260 "to shame" (sibling rivalry, ya know?)

I just thought it was funny when I got done cutting through a 28" log (16" bar on the saw, 2 cuts) and was done waaay before my brother hacking through the other side of the log. My dad watched me drop the round, looked down at my saw and said "That Husky outcuts that Stihl." Which I thought was great since my dad and my bro both have Stihls and questioned me deviating from the family brand and purchasing a Husky. I was very happy to see my cheaper (and supposedly less powerful) Husky best my bro's Stihl.

I have cut with both saws, and I prefer the Husky because it is weighted better. The Stihl is more front heavy than the Husky, which fatigues my left arm faster. Also, the LowVib can't be beat. I couldn't believe how damp the saw felt the first time I fired it up.

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Is a comparison with unsharpened chains even relevent? :confused:

Re: "hacking through a log"?

True. Since I know that the Stihl had a few more cuts on it since the last sharpening vs the Husky, I'll do a rematch. I'll let you know the outcome next time when we go at it with two newly sharpened chains. Ok?

Tell you what, I'll bet ya $1 that the Husky still wins...

Comparing cut times with dull chain is like racing a car with a flat tire. It has no bearing on anything except proving that dull chains do not cut fast.

Amen, Brother Brian.

I wasn't trying to start a Husky v. Stihl bout.&nbsp; I'm guessing that on any given day one of these two saws might consistently cut a second faster, or so, than the other on a sixteen second cut.&nbsp; But the real race (as I'd said at first) would undoubtedly be chain and technique.

It's probably just such a scenario as delivered above that starts a part of a family tree or a community on a bias toward one make over the other.&nbsp; All the while, it's much the same as the battle between the makes in NASCAR, where ultimately there's not a nickle's worth of difference. (even though we all know the blue oval's the best...)

Reiterch, if both saws will take the same chain, then you really should use just the one chain for all tests or you'll still not be comparing powerhead to powerhead directly.&nbsp; And <i>you</i> should do all the cutting, and whatever saw you're using, try to win with it.

Glen

Awwww jeez. That takes all the fun out of it!!

As for brand rivalry, I'll do the cuttin' while wearing my "Stihl 4-Mix" hat that the dealer gave me when I bought the saw. (he was out of Husky hats, and I could care less, free hat, ya know?)

Lighten up, guys!

Originally posted by glens
And <i>you</i> should do all the cutting, and whatever saw you're using, try to win with it.

Glen

Later on, Brother Rocky.

reiterch,
Seems like you are the only one who has mentioned anything about a Stihl vs Husky 'rivalry'. :rolleyes:
I cannot find anything in anybody else's post indicating feelings of such.
As mentioned earlier, I have a 346XP on order and I own two Stihls. Slayer wants a Husky to compliment his 020T Stihl. Slowtorque says both brands have their strong points and he likes both.

The only thing you have based your 'rivalry' on is the fact that your brother's Stihl had a duller chain than your Husky. Get real.

Glens- I ain't your brother.

Proceed to your local motor sport shop and purchase some Maxima "927" 2 cycle oil. Now not only will your saw look sharp, but now it will smell nice as well
While 927 does smell great, but it also gums up you motor and has many other drawbacks that are associated with castor based lubes.

I think the important thing to remember is no one manufactuor has the market cornered. I run Stihls and Huskys both, (and bought a stihl today) and would love to get a couple of John Deeres.(for nostalgic reasons).

We can joke all day about brand rivalry, but anyone claiming one brand is completly superior is only fooling themselves.

besides, the poulan wild thing is the best saw for the money.

as a boat anchor.:D

Back