Oregon® seeking professional loggers for product field testing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I shouldn't have told them I already use their bars and chains full time. I told them how much i cut in the info they wanted me to fill out and I heard nothing.

Told them back when this started, that I hate Oregon products, but would be honest to a fault...

That was the last I heard from em, good bad or indifferent, I figure they didn't choose me cause I'm a part time hack, not anything to do with previous preference.

That or it had more to do with a different style of cutting?

Follow Up

Sent them a note that I would still like to participate,

Received a note and phone call today from a nice lady at Blount who apologized for the 'password glitch' in the survey, and took my information over the phone.
Apparently, they wanted you to create a password in that field, and she said that they clarified that in a revised version of the survey. So if you are still interested . . . .

Philbert

Thank you for posting this follow up Philbert! I hope there are no further problems with the site or the form, but please feel free to send an email to [email protected] if you encounter anything.

We do have some field testing projects coming up and so completing this form will help us to better match people to the correct tests for them based on their type of use -- and note that brand typically used does not matter!

Better steel, my single biggest complaint. Files, bars, chains all on the soft side, bars are floppy and rails wear fast, files wear out fast, chains will stretch and keep on stretching, and don't hold an edge like other folks... you know who... I've ran yer sprockets both nose and drive, so far so good, but then there isn't much choice on those at times.

I like the grinders at least the top end versions, just wish there was something in the middle with a metal frame instead of plastic (more with the rigidity nonsense right). It don't have to be pretty just functional, for say around 200 or so. All the plastic framed grinders are a joke by the way... at least in my inflated opinion.

As much as I like my Simington square grinder, they are hard to come across, expensive, and difficult to get parts for, not impossible, just difficult. So an Oregon square grinder in the middle of the road price range would be most welcome.

And that was free!

I'll hold my other ideas close to my vest... not that there are many.

Perhaps some grinder ideas?

I have almost 800hrs on the Oregon bar on my firewood processor. Still has plenty of life too.

How practical would it be to have a "drop in" type of replacement
for the existing chain vice and stop, etc?
I'm thinking of something where you unscrew the hand nut that holds the vice in position and just swap off the entire unit then.

"Extra {detent} Balls, sold separately"

Seems like the pivot points might be where you could have trouble
with keeping the swing really tight and repeatable.
That would, noticeably, affect the wheel to tooth alignment.

Second area would be the motor arm, travel stop.
It's a pretty long way from the stop screw contact spot, out to where the wheel and teeth get together.
Just a few thousandths of variation at the contact point, turns into an appreciable ratio at the tooth.

IF I still worked in a fabrication/job shop, I'd be tempted to try building one for my Northern Tool brand, knockoff unit.
But as I'm only a hobbyist saw user nowdays, working up a square grinder is just a curiosity thing for me.

Square grinder technology pretty much stopped with Silvey. The Simington and the swing arm are fundamentally the same design.

While we're at it, why not a raker grinder? ESPECIALLY a raker grinder that will do those damn humped rakers. Those chains are essentially disposable to the average user because the rakers are so much work.

Folks have been asking for a modestly priced square grinder for years. There have been a lot of conversations in these pages about modifying the 511A type grinders for this task, but I think that it would have to be a purpose-built machine. Oregon would have to comply with current guarding requirements, which I am not sure that the Silvey type grinders do. And it would have to accommodate a variety of square angles/profiles, since folks that use these are typically more picky about that, and each has his 'secret sauce'.

Maybe these features, and the depth gauge settings, could be incorporated into a next generation CNC / programmable grinder, that would be affordable for shops, allowing them to offer custom grinding / sharpening for customers as a value-added service.

If they could make a simple, mechanical unit that retailed for under $600, I think that the market for square ground chain would increase, as more people would be willing to try it.

I like the grinders . . , just wish there was something in the middle . . . , for say around 200 or so.
I have not tried this one (yet):
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...ll-Mounted-Chain-Grinder-120-Volt-410-120.axd

I had high hopes for the 310-120 mini grinder, but it was released before working the bugs out. I hope that they continue to offer a higher quality, lower cost, alternative to the HF grinders, for homeowners, etc., who cannot justify a $300 grinder:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/oregon-310-mini-grinder.283691/

Philbert

Folks have been asking for a modestly priced square grinder for years. There have been a lot of conversations in these pages about modifying the 511A type grinders for this task, but I think that it would have to be a purpose-built machine. Oregon would have to comply with current guarding requirements, which I am not sure that the Silvey type grinders do. And it would have to accommodate a variety of square angles/profiles, since folks that use these are typically more picky about that, and each has his 'secret sauce'.

Maybe these features, and the depth gauge settings, could be incorporated into a next generation CNC / programmable grinder, that would be affordable for shops, allowing them to offer custom grinding / sharpening for customers as a value-added service.

If they could make a simple, mechanical unit that retailed for under $600, I think that the market for square ground chain would increase, as more people would be willing to try it.

Philbert

where do i sign up for a $600 square grinder? I'll test the prototype and take 10 to start with because i think a 6-700 retail square grinder would sell very well

where do i sign up for a $600 square grinder? I'll test the prototype and take 10 to start with because i think a 6-700 retail square grinder would sell very well

I have a Simington for sale for $750.

Square grinder technology pretty much stopped with Silvey. The Simington and the swing arm are fundamentally the same design.

While we're at it, why not a raker grinder? ESPECIALLY a raker grinder that will do those damn humped rakers. Those chains are essentially disposable to the average user because the rakers are so much work.

See now I don't have any ideas to get paid for... except how to make one fer cheap!

Latest posts

Back