Oregon 28 ton log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fastLeo151

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been shopping for a log splitter, I can get the 28 ton Oregon with a 9.5 horse kohler 16 gpm. For 1700.00 ish with the log table and 4 way wedge. From my research its made by speeco. This will be my first splitter so I thought I'd get your advice. Is this model any good and should I look at anything else?
thanks

Made my Speeco huh? Interesting. Are they built with the same material specs? They look a little different with the pictures i see online.
Im mainly wondering about the main beam. If so I have experience with the speeco 28 tons splitter.

Blount International is the parent company of both SpeeCo and Oregon.

The Oregon 28-ton splitter has better specs than the Huskee 28-ton, namely a much faster cycle time and larger tires. If you want a V/H hydraulic splitter, that Oregon splitter is better than the big box store models I see.

I've never used an Oregon splitter, but I like the specs and features on that 28-ton. The in-beam log cradle of the Oregon/Huskee/SpeeCo has become a favorite of mine. If that Oregon model had been around at the time I was shopping for a splitter, I probably would have purchased one.

Just about all splitters in that price range are basically the same with the components close to identical, personally I would go for something with a Honda engine, but then again if you look at reviews on this site just about everyone is happy with their splitters in this price range.

I have been shopping for a log splitter, I can get the 28 ton Oregon with a 9.5 horse kohler 16 gpm. For 1700.00 ish with the log table and 4 way wedge. From my research its made by speeco. This will be my first splitter so I thought I'd get your advice. Is this model any good and should I look at anything else?
thanks

I rented an Oregon 28 for the weekend a few weeks ago. It was a good work horse. Plenty of power and pretty fast. It split everything that I put on it. As I worked I could easily reposition it by hand. I was working in a long row of rounds. The one problem I have with V/H splitters is that in horizontal the wheel always gets in my way. I found that I often had to place my foot on the tire. The unit does not have fenders. I am going to build a log splitter, horizontal, with a clear work area.

Overall this is a good splitter.

Best part about it is the motor and price.... I have decided on the Oregon 28 ton for sure. I will order it next week.

A couple comments,

The Speeco 28 ton has a 12 second cycle time.

Everybody touts Honda motors, but be aware there is a huge difference between the excellent GX commercial Honda motors and the cheap GC motors. The latter is no better than any other cheap motor. The B/S on the Speeco has a 5 position choke and is one of the best starting motors I have ever used and it's OHV.

SpeeCo's 28 Ton log splitter is equipped with a Briggs & Stratton I/C 1450 engine to deliver maximum splitting force. A global leader in log splitting technology, SpeeCo offers the best features in the industry, making splitting wood quicker, easier and safer!
Including:
  • Horizontal or vertical splitting
  • Engineered cylinder connection for increased strength
  • Engineered cast steel foot piece
  • Heavy duty hydraulic cylinder producing maximum splitting force
  • Reinforced stripper plates remove stuck logs
  • Large hydraulic fill cap
  • Shielded wedge & channel beam design for safe operation and clean splitting action
  • Wide log cradle making splitting wood quicker, easier and safer
  • Only one moving bolt and no shims
  • Drain plug
  • Road tires for towing
  • Compatible with certain accessories
Product Specs
  • Engine: Briggs & Stratton 1450 Series
  • Pump: Two-Stage 16 gpm
  • Cylinder: 4-1/2" Diameter x 24" Stroke
  • Valve: Auto-Return
  • Max Splitting Force: 28 Tons
  • Max Log Length: 26"
  • Cycle Time: 12 Seconds
  • Wheels: 4.80 x 8" Road Speed
  • Wedge: 7" High With Spreader Wings
  • Beam Size: 8" x 10" With Built-In Log Cradle
  • Hydraulic Capacity: 6.5 Gallons
  • Filter: Spin-On Replaceable
  • Height: 45" Horizontal
  • Length: 87"
  • Width: 50"
  • Shipping Weight: 655 lbs.

If your looking for a splitter that is VERY SIMILAR to the Speeco and Oregon, you will notice they are almost the same. This one is faster though with a bigger pump. Check it out

north star 37 ton V/H with honda gx 270 engine with idle down feature, 10 gallons fluid res., built in log cradle, it's on sale for 1899 now...I paid more for mine. I have one with a 4way and have split @30-40 full cords since january, just another option to consider

Not to sway your opinion, but I performed the same search and comparison myself the last 2 years. The Oregon with the commercial grade Honda motor is over $2250 out the door. The Speeco withe similar or faster cycle times is almost $1000 less. The speeco does not have the larger tires, although for an upcharge I am sure you can check into it. Check Omni for their prices, which are the best on the web. Just takes time to get it shipped

Latest posts

Back