Oregon 520 problems/or user error

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger82

Reaction score
Hi all.
Just tried using a new 520 sharpener I recently purchased.
Was practicing on an old chain, went through and found the smallest tooth which was on the RH side.
set the grinder up with the 10 degree down rake (aka red knob pushed bad) and other angles. Went through and down the entire RH side.

Come the Left hand side I swiveled the bed to the other side and switch the rake position to the front position. Went through and ground the teeth only to notice at the end that the left cutters are about 0.04" longer on average aka 1.2mm

I centered the head over the chain clamp before starting, is there something else I need to do, or do I need to manually adjust the cutter stop back a bit more to equal them up?

Thanks

Yes you need to adjust the stop when switching sides and if your off 4 thousands from side to side its not going to matter. Also don't grind the whole chain to the shortest tooth, grind to where the longer teeth are and pull the grinder head over when you hit the shortest teeth and just touch them. If you grind to the shortest teeth your chain will be gone fast. Make sure to get the wheel low enough so you have some hook angle on the side plate, keep the rakers at the right height and your chains will cut better than new. Steve

Thank you Steve,
now just need to spend a bit of time with it and work out its quirks and get truly comfortable with it.

Back