Oregon chain vs Woodland Pro (Carlton) vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Timm

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just thought I would get every ones opinions on which chain is preferred. I currently run Oregon on my 6100 and Woodland Pro on my 180. I don't know if it's just me, but the Woodland Pro on the Stihl 180 remains sharp especially compared to the Oregon on the Stihl. I've never used Stihl chain before so no experience there. Is the Woodland Pro better at staying sharp, or is it my imagination?

Are both chains semi chisel?
I have a couple different Oregon bar/chains for my saw, the full chisel one cuts faster but dulls very quickly in dirty wood, the semi chisel one is hair slower but stays sharp a lot longer.

I'd have to look. The Oregon is 72 LGX072G which I think is a full chisel?I'd have to look at the other.

From my life like limited experience, Stihl #1, woodland pro #2, Oregon #3. Even though I feel Stihl is the best chain, I don't buy it because I don't want to pay that much. I buy woodland pro or Carlton most of the time. I do have some Oregon chains though.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

From my life like limited experience, Stihl #1, woodland pro #2, Oregon #3. Even though I feel Stihl is the best chain, I don't buy it because I don't want to pay that much. I buy woodland pro or Carlton most of the time. I do have some Oregon chains though.

This Tapatalk keeps screwing up my posts. It adds or changes words after I hit send. What is up with that?

I use Oregon 72LGX072 as well. It sharpens nice but dulls fast and it already needs to sharpened before I make it through a tank of gas.

I use Oregon 21LPX066 on a smaller saw and it stays sharp pretty well and will make it through a tank before needing sharpening.

A friend of mine bought a new Stihl MS391 with the factory chain which I think is Stihl 3/8" RS3. After about 4 tanks the chain still looked new. I was blown away.

For the price on the Oregon loops being around $12 it's hard to beat but I do wish they stayed sharp longer. If I got confirmation their new chain is harder I would buy some.

I use Oregon for the most part and it has no tendencies whatsoever to get dull any quicker than anything else. Matter of fact I get excellent service from the newer designs with the "blue" cutters.

Stihl chain is excellent but a little pricey and I've ran into a few loops that didn't cut well right out of the box and needed "touched-up" just a bit before using it.

Aside from that it gives excellent service. I've never ran any Carlton chain so can't comment on it.......Cliff

Back