Oregon Kinetic Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bub

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,great site with lots of info.I am looking at a kinetic splitter and was wondering if anybody has experience with them.I have seen videos of an Oregon going through a stack of wood quickly,but what about the mean ,gnarly knots ?Most of the firewood I cut is locust and wild cherry growing in fields and thickets,most is knotty and wind twisted.Average size is about 15" with a few 25" plus sized logs cut to 20 inch lengths.Any thoughts on reliability would be appreciated also.I have an old Yard Machines 20 ton hydraulic splitter now,and it has done a great job for the money.Just quite slow,and getting some leaks and wear and tear.Again,thanks in advance for any help.

Personally I would only consider a super split if I was looking for a kinetic splitter. Only exception would be a knock off if it was very cheap, like a few hundred bucks.

I don't think they're a great choice for what you're describing. Only way to know would be to try one, but from what I've read and seen, they excel at straightish grain wood. Some knots and crotches are alright, but if that's mostly what you're working with, in addition to twisted wood, I think hydraulic is the way to go. There are definitely options for increasing the speed of a hydraulic splitter. They don't need to be slow.

I run a Super Split and get allot of elm and sugar maple. Around here the sugar maple is usually pretty crooked and elm is elm. To be honest it doesn't seem much different than my hydro when you get into the nasty stuff. I still pick my splitting lanes and you end up with the same uglies you would while using a hydraulic. The difference to me is that when the straight half of the twisted round is finished you end up with nicer splits from it.

I'm sure the Oregon isn't cheap and is probably sourced from outside the country. If you are set on kinetic take a look at SS. You can call Paul and his son they are both very nice and accommodating. They build the machines in the USA and the quality is undeniable.

Honestly knotty twisted wood is always going to be a pain. Is the SS going to be nicer than a County Line 40 ton on that wood? Can't tell because I have never ran a big hydraulic. I will tell you that it will be quicker and the clean wood is more enjoyable to split.

Another SS user here. Pretty sure I have no less than 10 years now of constant year round use on mine. Zero complaints, zero issues. Ran it electric and gas both, no difference other than the cord. Every now and again I get the itch to to try something new, but for the price simplicity and performance there is no equal.

Another happy Supersplit user here. 80+ full cords though mine by now. Is it the best for a twisted nasty fork/crotch? No. But I can split up 4-6 straight logs easily in the time it takes someone with a big hydraulic to break that nasty chunk up. At the end of the day, whose wood pile gained more height in that 5-10 mins? I pick my battles, work smarter not harder.

Latest posts

Back