• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Oregon rim sprocket on Stihl 028 AV

stage1v8

stage1v8

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi Folks,

I posted this yesterday but I edited the post and it seems to have disapeared so trying again. Sorry if it pops back up and I end up double posting.

I needed to replace the sproket on my 028AV so I bought an oregon rim sprocket kit. I have tried fitting it but the clutch drum is a really tight fit. So much so that when I try running the saw it wont turn it.

Has anyone go any suggestions on what could cause this and how to fix it?

It looked like such an easy job when I researched it :)

Thanks

J

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Hi Folks,

I posted this yesterday but I edited the post and it seems to have disapeared so trying again. Sorry if it pops back up and I end up double posting.

I needed to replace the sproket on my 028AV so I bought an oregon rim sprocket kit. I have tried fitting it but the clutch drum is a really tight fit. So much so that when I try running the saw it wont turn it.

Has anyone go any suggestions on what could cause this and how to fix it?

It looked like such an easy job when I researched it :)

Thanks

J
Your saw likely has the Stihl specific "mini" 7-spline drum, and Oregon doesn't sell that rim variant, just the more common "small" 7-spline. You have to buy a rim from Stihl, even though it likely is made by Oregon.

The alternative is to replace the Stihl drum with an Oregon one.

Fish

Account Hold
Website
stores.ebay.com
Take it back apart again, then make a post when you have done it. With it all apart, and the bearing off, the drum should sit down easily over
the clutch with plenty of clearance all around, if not, then you have found your problem area.

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Your saw likely has the Stihl specific "mini" 7-spline drum, and Oregon doesn't sell that rim variant, just the more common "small" 7-spline. You have to buy a rim from Stihl, even though it likely is made by Oregon.

The alternative is to replace the Stihl drum with an Oregon one.
what Mr troll says been there done that

stage1v8

stage1v8

ArboristSite Lurker
Ok, have taken it apart and the Oregon drum is 0.020" smaller inside diameter.

The part numbers are:

Stihl original 1118/01
Oregon drum 29917

The drums drops on ok for 3/4 then the last 1/4 is really tight.

Wondering if I have the correct kit for my saw!

J

stage1v8

stage1v8

ArboristSite Lurker
I will dig out the calipers tonight and measure both the edge and the centre to see if its different.

Also wondering if there is a difference between oregen parts 29917x and 30384x. Anyone know?

J

stage1v8

stage1v8

ArboristSite Lurker
It looks like the Oregon drum has a slight taper in at the base. Most of the side is straight but the last 10% tapers in by a few thou. I guess this combined with being slightly narrower than the original makes it stick when fully inserted.

I am wondering if they are all like this or if I have the wrong part. Any idea?

Cheers

J

stage1v8

stage1v8

ArboristSite Lurker
Hi,

I managed to get hold of another drum part no 30384 and that has the same problem so I am wondering if my clutch is out of spec.

Really stumped by this so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

turtle561

turtle561

ArboristSite Guru
is your clutch the 3 spring type or the one with a spring(garter) around all the shoes ? take the clutch off and see if there is anything holding the shoes out or something wrong with the garter spring, if you have that type.