Oregon rim sprocket on Stihl 028 AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stage1v8

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I posted this yesterday but I edited the post and it seems to have disapeared so trying again. Sorry if it pops back up and I end up double posting.

I needed to replace the sproket on my 028AV so I bought an oregon rim sprocket kit. I have tried fitting it but the clutch drum is a really tight fit. So much so that when I try running the saw it wont turn it.

Has anyone go any suggestions on what could cause this and how to fix it?

It looked like such an easy job when I researched it :)

Thanks

J

Hi Folks,

I posted this yesterday but I edited the post and it seems to have disapeared so trying again. Sorry if it pops back up and I end up double posting.

I needed to replace the sproket on my 028AV so I bought an oregon rim sprocket kit. I have tried fitting it but the clutch drum is a really tight fit. So much so that when I try running the saw it wont turn it.

Has anyone go any suggestions on what could cause this and how to fix it?

It looked like such an easy job when I researched it :)

Thanks

J

Your saw likely has the Stihl specific "mini" 7-spline drum, and Oregon doesn't sell that rim variant, just the more common "small" 7-spline. You have to buy a rim from Stihl, even though it likely is made by Oregon.

The alternative is to replace the Stihl drum with an Oregon one.

Yes, just checked the box and it 29917

Sorry, I misread your first post - if it is a rim and drum kit, the parts should fit, if it is the right one.

However, there were many different versions of the 028 - are you sure the same kit is supposed to fit all of them?

Take it back apart again, then make a post when you have done it. With it all apart, and the bearing off, the drum should sit down easily over
the clutch with plenty of clearance all around, if not, then you have found your problem area.

Your saw likely has the Stihl specific "mini" 7-spline drum, and Oregon doesn't sell that rim variant, just the more common "small" 7-spline. You have to buy a rim from Stihl, even though it likely is made by Oregon.

The alternative is to replace the Stihl drum with an Oregon one.

what Mr troll says been there done that

Ok, have taken it apart and the Oregon drum is 0.020" smaller inside diameter.

The part numbers are:

Stihl original 1118/01
Oregon drum 29917

The drums drops on ok for 3/4 then the last 1/4 is really tight.

Wondering if I have the correct kit for my saw!

J

This is the case with the bearing off of the saw?

The drum is measurably smaller? Is the inner lip thicker toward the center?

I will dig out the calipers tonight and measure both the edge and the centre to see if its different.

Also wondering if there is a difference between oregen parts 29917x and 30384x. Anyone know?

J

It looks like the Oregon drum has a slight taper in at the base. Most of the side is straight but the last 10% tapers in by a few thou. I guess this combined with being slightly narrower than the original makes it stick when fully inserted.

I am wondering if they are all like this or if I have the wrong part. Any idea?

Cheers

J

Hi,

I managed to get hold of another drum part no 30384 and that has the same problem so I am wondering if my clutch is out of spec.

Really stumped by this so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

is your clutch the 3 spring type or the one with a spring(garter) around all the shoes ? take the clutch off and see if there is anything holding the shoes out or something wrong with the garter spring, if you have that type.

Latest posts

Back