Oregon Vanguard chain.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eyolf

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Some time ago I bought a loop of Oregon 73V, tried it and didn't like it. Cut slow. Today I put it back on a saw after a careful touch up and lowering of depth rakers (they were at about .017, factory) and found it to perform much better

To those who are familiar with this chain, I ask...is that curved witness mark on the bent-over rakers supposed to be the final ending point as the rakers are maintained? Man, I stroked each one about twice, lightly, to get a raker of .025-.030, and I'm almost to the mark already. The cutters seem to angle down at the back pretty quickly, so as they get shorter they will need raker maintenance often...I'm thinkin' the rear corner of the raker will be sharp for the last filings on the cutter!

Oregon must have a new depth guage tool, as I was forced to use a feeler guage and a straight edge.
Kind of a pain. I put the chain on my 395 Husky and was cutting some fairly large oak with it...some minimal grabby-ness at the deep setting, but not bad, and cut smooth and fast. Tried it with 625 Jonsered, OK too, grabbyness was a little more noticeable (less power) but still smooth and fast.

Anyone out there with extensive experience on this chain? I can get it locally for a little less than the regular Oregon LG and LP chain...

chain

The question you are really asking is what was this chain designed to do vs what do I want it to do. The tech dept at oregon has an 800 number and they will answer questions, at least they answer mine when I call. Do you want a bit of anti vibe safety or do you want rip snorttin cuttting? Do you want long chain life or fast cutting and short life on the chain? Can you handle a severe kickback if you over modify the chain?

The stuff was presented as having the speed of LG, with the anti-kick protection of the raised tie-bar stuff. Obviously, at .017, the Oregon factory had some issues with depth guages' QC, as the literature advertizes an .025 spec.

That's more than likely why it cut slow as recieved.

Thanks for the advice on calling Oregon. I'll try that.

Latest posts

Back