Ornamental Holly with Fungus?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Edwards

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this is , the tree appears to be stressed somewhat as the leaves aren't as thick as they should be. There is another tree about the same size and shape on the north side of the home that looks healthy and has thick foliage. The tree in question is on the south/east side of the home so it gets a lot more sun than the north side. Is this sooty mold or what? If you know , what can be done about it. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Yes that's sooty mold, like Del_ stated control the honeydew producing insects & the mold goes away. Then find out why your holly is stressed & under attack.

Thanks guys. Although I have done lots of pesticide treatments over the years it's mainly been for the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid. I have used dormant oil on Apple trees for scale and over wintering pests. What would type of treatment would you recommend for this scale problem? This could also be why the tree looks so stressed . Or could the scale be opportunists taking advantage of a weakened tree ?

Oil sprays will work but you have to identify the crawler phase of the scale you are targeting. I would go with a Dinotefuran or Acephate application over imidacloprid to get a quick knock down.

I would also suggest not to spray at any time, try to find out what the crwaler phase is - how long would you all apply that, like is it a one time treatment?

Back