Our 2016 Vegetable Garden

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
2016 garden 6-9 001.JPG

2016 garden 6-9 002.JPG

2016 garden 6-9 003.JPG

2016 garden 6-9 004.JPG

I am very impressed, Major amount of manual work there! Is that melons that I see in the first picture buy the corn?

I can dig a bed in 10 minutes solo. 32 4' x 16' beds. You can dig a hole with your hands 18" deep in about 20 seconds. They were dug and backfilled with compost to 30" deep. (Bobcat)

Here's our main planting of Silver Queen white sweet corn. It's been side dressed twice now and will get one more soon. Also in the photo are Crimson Sweet watermelon, Ambrosia cantaloupe and El Gordo cantaloupe.

I can dig a bed in 10 minutes solo. 32 4' x 16' beds. You can dig a hole with your hands 18" deep in about 20 seconds. They were dug and backfilled with compost to 30" deep. (Bobcat)

Here's our main planting of Silver Queen white sweet corn. It's been side dressed twice now and will get one more soon. Also in the photo are Crimson Sweet watermelon, Ambrosia cantaloupe and El Gordo cantaloupe.

Still manual work, Which I am not able to do much of any more. As for the silver queen, We have been planting it for years, We love it!

Couple patches of silver queen.

Attachments

• 2016-06-05 001 003.JPG
    2016-06-05 001 003.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 2016-06-05 001 002.JPG
    2016-06-05 001 002.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
I am very impressed, Major amount of manual work there! Is that melons that I see in the first picture buy the corn?

many call it work and at times it seems such is the case... but I am reading a really nice book on cooking and the garden... and I like the comment made in the Introduction where author refers to President Jefferson in the late 1790's and his joy of gardening... despite the fact that then... 90% of the work force was engaged in ag activities.

President Jefferson wrote: " No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth and no culture comparable to that of the garden."

the author, a garden design professional, refers to it as an enduring pleasure... to hand work the garden! ~

I completely agree! :) I have TB tiller, but after almost 40 years... my beds are very friable and easily turned by hand... I earn my place in my garden... one garden fork turn at a time! lol

P. ALLEN SMITH'S SEASONAL RECIPES FROM THE GARDEN

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Smiths...29179-5080347?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

Still manual work, Which I am not able to do much of any more. As for the silver queen, We have been planting it for years, We love it! Couple patches of silver queen.

both of your gardens are awesome!! by any standards. making do with what you can do, as amberg does... is quite noteworthy. still, nothing quite like the rural based home garden... well developed and mature within its own culture such as the one Del [obviously] enjoys at his homeplace...

imo, a garden is a garden... and in my own garden culture art is an important factor, too... still... the one main purpose of gardening looms high and mighty and that is... to grow food! ;)

ultimate, tasty food such as is only available from the home garden!! :D

corn, okra, lima beans... many, many... even to include this very nice growing kitchen pleasant batch of tomatoes, currently sitting in my kitchen...
P1010003.JPG

This is my effort so far. Got the weeds pulled from everything except for the onions. I know where they are so the weeds can live for now. I have four and a half rows of field peas (crowder peas), two rows of butterbeans, (bush lima beans), four row of pinto beans, two rows of okra, two rows of yellow and sweet onions which are not in the pic, two tomato plants and four pepper plants, and one strawberry plant.
upload_2016-6-12_10-57-56.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-12_10-58-17.png
    upload_2016-6-12_10-58-17.png
    137.8 KB · Views: 10
This is my effort so far. Got the weeds pulled from everything except for the onions. I know where they are so the weeds can live for now. I have four and a half rows of field peas (crowder peas), two rows of butterbeans, (bush lima beans), four row of pinto beans, two rows of okra, two rows of yellow and sweet onions which are not in the pic, two tomato plants and four pepper plants, and one strawberry plant.
View attachment 507923

Looking good! And I don't even see a single rock to be found. You have some nice ground there to work with, we are blessed with way to many rocks here. Which makes it a pain in the ass trying to pick them up.

Here's my corn patch and my okra patch. I grow my okra some distance away from my main garden, I've been having trouble with okra getting blight problems in my primary garden spot which has been in use for a long time. I planted a bit late this year but the stuff is growing very fast now in the heat. Just finished spreading leaf mulch in between the rows.

001.JPG
okra.JPG

Here's my corn patch and my okra patch. I grow my okra some distance away from my main garden, I've been having trouble with okra getting blight problems in my primary garden spot which has been in use for a long time. I planted a bit late this year but the stuff is growing very fast now in the heat. Just finished spreading leaf mulch in between the rows.

View attachment 509277 View attachment 509278

looks good! man!!, that sure is a lot of okra!... if that was my okra patch... I would have no idea how to keep up with the daily harvest... one thing for sure, you will be in the green!!!! Okra Green! :)

what do u think amberg?... plenty of okra no doubt? lol ;)

looks good! man!!, that sure is a lot of okra!... if that was my okra patch... I would have no idea how to keep up with the daily harvest... one thing for sure, you will be in the green!!!! Okra Green! :)

I usually overdo the okra, but I'm feeding relatives as well as myself, the surplus okra usually gets all fried up somewhere in this vicinity. When I don't have time for the picking chores, I can call up neighbors who will be happy to pick the stuff - especially when I'm giving it away. When the okra is really coming in strong, it seems it needs to be picked every other day or the pods get too big and you end up tossing a lot of it away. I'm a big fan of fried okra, I never get tired of it. I fry it in coconut oil, and store a lot of okra in the freezer, no blanching chores involved with freezing okra. I've also canned it. If you have your soil mixture right, and plenty of sun, the plants can grow up to 7 feet or so. Last years crop didn't do real well, I had no surplus to give away and my plants were stunted and had blight problems. At first I thought I had done something wrong in growing them, but then I heard reports from other local growers that okra wasn't doing well all over the entire county. Probably last summer's weather was bad for okra. Maybe I'll reverse that and get a bumper crop this summer. The plants are doing great right now.

View attachment 509277 View attachment 509278

Good job on that mulch, it has really got to help with the weeds.

( I would have no problem helping with the disposal of the okra )

Looks like enough for UPS care package to me! Lol

Latest posts

Back