Our Landscapers replanted our fallen Shower Tree Wailuku Hawaii

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was our landscaper / maintenance company correct?

• Replace the tree with a new one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

villaskehalani

Reaction score
We live in a condo subdivision and we recently had very high winds hit Maui over the past few weeks. Our beautful shower tree (Cassia fistula) was uprooted and fell. Our landscaper / maintenance firm who cares for our 103 unit property pruned and replanted the tree. Refer to the attached picture.

Our community is wondering if our landscaper should have replanted the tree or simply replaced it?

What say you?

Attachments

• Tree Unit 203.jpg
    Tree Unit 203.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 29
There is a lot of loose soil around Hawaii and trees can blow over without significant damage to the roots. I often deal with trees blown over and normally will stake the tree back upright. I may or may not prune when I do that. Usually they survive unless there has been obvious damage to the roots. If they do survive, within a few months they are much stronger and more vibrant than a replacement tree would be, and I will have avoided the expense of a replacement. A replacement of comparable size to your tree that was blown down would be very expensive, a reaonably priced replacement would take years to get to the same size.

If the staked tree does not survive, that will quickly become apparent and it can then be replaced. One benefit of being in Hawaii is that you can plant most trees any time of the year, so it is not like you risk losing a year for the opportunity to plant a replacement tree. The trimming that was done looks extreme, but there may be good reason for it. So while I might have some issue with the amount of trimming, the general tactic of your landscaper looks appropriate to me.

Latest posts

Back