Outboard Motor?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just as an update, I met the guy with the motor. He had mechanical experience and was more of a tinkerer/collector. More on that. The motor probably was a 1985 model as the Model number indicated and was pretty simple. Just an up/down lever to control the throttle and no reverse; just swivel the head around. He took the cowling? off and we checked to make sure it had spark. Plug look clean. When he first bought it 5 years ago, he had plans to use it, but never got around to starting it. He did buy a new water pump impeller with plans to change it, but never did because when he opened it up, it didn't need replacing. So I ended up buying it. He tossed in the new impeller too.

I plan on mixing some fresh premium 50:1 and try starting it with just a little gas and some sea foam for good measure. The motor says use 100:1, but I read somewhere 50:1 is better for protection. Fingers crossed. Not sure if I need to change the impeller since it's been setting 5 years since he last inspected it. We'll see. He showed me how to do it and it looks simple. Also checked level of lube in the lower unit and it was fine.

The main point of this posting, which I apologize is becoming quite lengthy, is the different types of people you meet in the journey through life. He was an immigrant from Poland and had made a life for him and his wife in this country. He was quite talkative relaying some of his experiences and I listened politely, not wanting to offend. I stayed there over an hour. He was an engineer, although I couldn't get it out of him what type, at a tire company before it closed. He now was in his 70s, not that 70s is old, but was as active as ever. As I said, he was a tinkerer. He was making forges for knife makers out of SS. Looked like a real good job.

I was very impressed with his work shop. It was as big as a house and just packed full of tools, mostly fabrication/machining tools and materials. He showed me around, and I was impressed. We passed a box of about a dozen fishing reels and I thought maybe I'd find one to replace my Brother's bail spring. He said take it. Under layer of the reels was a tray with a portable,battery powered fish finder. He said, take it. Perfect for my small Jon boat. Turns out there's a couple of usable reels in the box and one from Germany. Maybe the rest I could sell to SVK (lol).
We continued to walk around and we found square pipe for several upgrades on my firewood scrounging trailer. Probably $50 of metal.

Well a long rant, but the guy was a wealth of knowledge. I have his contact number and plan to stay in touch.

Back