Outdoor wood furnace??/

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad E

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have used a Pacific Summit indoor wood stove for years , it is backed up by a oil fired hot air furnace. Now my wife is having breathing problems from the smoke when we open the door.
It looks as if I am going to purchase a outdoor wood furnace hooked into my existing forced hot air furnace. I have looked online at several brands, anyone here have personal expeirence with any of these??? Any advise as to brands or features you can reccomend would be highly valued. Thanks.

around my area mahoning furnace seems to be the one of choice. Mahoning outdoor furnace is their name.
mike

timbrjackrussel said:
check out http://www.woodheat.org/technology/outboiler.htm I have used a Pacific Energy Summit with a 24 foot 6" metal chimney up through centre of the house with no smoke problems.Check out www.burnitsmart.org The Summit is a very efficient stove campared to any outside boiler.Do you have a large bush for your wood supply?
Yes I cut all my own firewood, I have about 15 acres of mature hardwoods.The Summit IS a great stove, thats why I bought it originally. It only smokes when I open the door ...if there is a low pressure system creating a downdraft situation. But my wife is far more sensitive to the smoke than me. And you know what that means.:taped:

My chimney is clean. Internal chimney probably 18' or so tall.

I have a Heatmor that I have been using since Dec. 2005. It has not had any problems. If your neighbors are very close, you may have trouble with the smoke. When a burning cycle first starts, it smokes alot! When it is not burning, it hardly smokes at all. If you open the door with much unburned wood inside, quite a bit of smoke comes out the door, also. You would not want your wife to load it. It burns quite a lot of wood compared to an indoor burner, but if you have access to the wood, so what. I don't regret putting it in. With the current price of LP gas, I will have about a 3.5 year payback.
HTH

Roy

boiler

investigate very thoroughly before buying, the burn times are no where near as long as advertised, they blow alot of smoke, right there if your not around every day your wife probably won't be loading it. they are expensive $8-10 000. life cycle avg. 10 yrs.one farmer north of me said he burns 25 cord per year although it is his only source of heat. due to the fact insurance companies won't cover any environmental cleanup, no antifreeze in the system, therefore it must not be allowed to go cold and freeze. wood should also be seasoned just as you would burn in your woodstove or your going to create a lot of cresote, and that is a fire hazard. All that being said if your home all winter, have an endless supply of firewood and are willing to do the required maintenance(check water levels often) then they do have their place, excellent option for farmers, not so good for urbanites. you asked for advise, hows that?

I heat two homes with a Hardy and use about 12 to 14 cords a year. On day 30 or above it will go 24 hours without feeding, but you still need to go poke it around and stir it up from time to time. When it gets cold 0 to to the mid 20's it has to be fed twice a day. It has worked out really well for my parents and I. Safe, no mess in the house and we both save a pile of money. I own 337 acres so I have more wood than I will ever burn.

Oh by the way I had about $5,200 in mine and installed it myself. I add about 10 gallon of water each winter and don't really care how much creosote it builds up.

hydro2 said:
Oh by the way I had about $5,200 in mine and installed it myself. I add about 10 gallon of water each winter and don't really care how much creosote it builds up.
don't worry about creosote until it catches fire, burns the boiler, the ground around it,your house, your parents house and 337 acres.

hydro2 said:
Thank you for all the info.

ripper said:
get a cb cant go wrong have one now in 3rd year should of got one 20 years age
I think I'm going with a Aqua Therm. Closed system..no adding water..fan forced draft..hotter, no creosote buildup..burns even green wood..good local dealer...able to buy without shed...will install in existing out building...Stainless steel..longer lasting...Only heats about 60 gallons..quick recovery time.:heart:

Bad E said:
I have used a Pacific Summit indoor wood stove for years , it is backed up by a oil fired hot air furnace. Now my wife is having breathing problems from the smoke when we open the door.
It looks as if I am going to purchase a outdoor wood furnace hooked into my existing forced hot air furnace. I have looked online at several brands, anyone here have personal expeirence with any of these??? Any advise as to brands or features you can reccomend would be highly valued. Thanks.

Bad,

The outdoor stuff is the rage here (rural Canada). I heat with 2 x Elmira inserts + a forced air oil furnace. I got one of the inserts converted to a standard furnace blower & tied into the forced air system but, have the same problem as you, smokes a bit when door is opened. I'm about ready to get an outdoor unit and the absolute best one I've seen to date is the "Heatmore" units. My neighbour has a huge one (60" deep fire box) that heats 3 buildings + his pool! These are stainless constructed but come with a hefty tag, they sized me for a smaller unit & quoted me 12 grand, installed on my concrete pad.........ouch.

Back