outside wood boilers, three questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butch(OH)

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am going to purchase an outside wood fired boiler, OK technicaly not a boiler but you all know what I mean, and since I have started looking seriously I am more confused than I was at first. I have two questions
1. Which type of draft? Forced or not?
2. Which type to material? carbon, 304, 309
3 Given that I will be heating my whole house and not a few rooms like I am with my stove do they realy burn lots more wood for that heat you recieve?

Please try to eliminate the hype, have enough of that from the dealers, LOl
Thanks.

I have yet to own a outdoor wood boiler but I did have one in the basement for several years
Yes I burnt a lot of wood
I removed the forced draft and used a bimetal damper

I have an outdoor wood stove. Mine does not have a forced draft, as far as material I can't help you there. Mine is a hydro fire by central boiler. I burned about 6 full cords but cant compare it to an inside stove since I don't have one. I stoke it twice a day and just love it my old 1930 house has never been so warm.

I own a Central Boiler with no forced draft. Sometimes I wish it had one to get the fire going easier. My brother has a Woodmaster and sometimes he wishes he did not have the forced draft when he burns soft wood.
I have heard of horror stories with any stainless steal boilers.
I think I burned about 6 cord this year but I do not care because the wife and kids can stay plenty warm now. This was the first year for the boiler!

Mike

mild steel is the way to go.
I dont think it really makes any diff. on forced or not forced air.
You will burn a little bit more wood but who cares no heating bills.
Not much more then a add on wood stove in the house.
(mine dont)

Outdoor Wood Furnaces ????

Yes the outdoor furnaces do heat more with more efficiency. But look:
1. They need power to run. When the lines are down ...then what ?
2. Low draft means creosote to deteriotate pipes and insides.
3. Like your neighbors? Low draft means smoky, smelly burns. Wind goes the wrong way, you've got problems with your own place and then those pesky next door people. Time for the 9mm.
4. Long runs to pump heated water or air to the house.
5. You got to take that body outside ( in snow, in sleet, in blackflies) to load the beast.
6. Forget the hype, and they are not cheap.

If you don't like the space heating wood stoves, how about a real wood or mixed fuel furnace ? They've been around for a long time. One brand from Denmark, MS Tarm.

We have 2 wood stoves: some extra work. But then think of that lovely body you will have :clap: No big bellies no more.:sucks:

Latest posts

Back