Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

over confident and careless

Discussion in 'Arboricultural Injuries and Fatalities' started by jim hougen, Sep 10, 2018.

1. jim hougen

jim hougen New Member

over confident and careless. I did tree work for 18 years got careless for a minuet and fell 27 feet. Hit the ground a very fit 48 year old man. left the hospital 3 1/2 moths later a broken down old man. I was not paying attention when I hooked up to rappelling device. heard my caribbener on d ring heard it click and did not visually verify my attachment point. rappelled out with one hand on the rope left my figure 8 in the tree

2. LoveStihlQuality

LoveStihlQuality Addicted to ArboristSite

A second can change a life or end it. You are alive to tell after horrendous fall. God bless.
    Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Husky Man and SeMoTony like this.
  3. derwoodii

derwoodii Tree Freak

i came so close to joining you many years back,, always look confirm one time i did not i'd snapped into my shirt & not harness ring.. A reason i prefer to have snug clothing on aloft no loose shirts over harness rings and snaps.

your grief & story sir will focus some others minds and may save lives...

Husky Man, treesmith and SeMoTony like this.
  4. tidy

tidy ArboristSite Operative

^ I think many could share a close call like that i know that its happened to me as well whilst being too relaxed/complacent in the tree. Sorry to hear you suffered the consequences Jim, best wishes.

SeMoTony likes this.