overtightened caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
What is the deal with using a screwdriver to overtighten the gas and oil caps on saws? 95% of the guys I've ever worked with insist on using a scrench to tighten the caps down when gassing my saws. The problem with this is twofold. First, you cannot get the caps off without using a scrench. Two, if you do NOT use a scrench after your caps have been mangled by the idiot with a scrench, they will leak.

I just had to buy new caps for an 026 that I bought slightly used. It only had 5 tanks of fuel through it when I bought it, but both caps leaked because they had been put on with a scrench by the previous owner. Now they don't leak, at least until another idiot gets hold of them with a scrench. :angry:

I know that almost all of those reading this use a scrench to tighten your caps, even on a brand new saw. WHY? Would anyone here think of using a scrench to tighten the gas cap on ANY other piece of equipment they own? I think this is a stupid and unneccessary practice.

Brian, i do use a scrench but i don't sit there and tighten the crap out of them either. i have never mangled a cap trying to tighten it nor have i had one of mine leak. that said my new ms460 has the new caps from stihl and they leak a little, to me that is very agravating because i like to take very good care of my equipment and some times the caps leak quite a bit, if i could then i would put the old style back on but that would require a different gas assembly:mad:

Sorry, Ryan. But you use the same excuse that EVERY person does. NO ONE thinks they overtighten the caps, but they ALL use a scrench on the caps. Do you use a scrench on your lawnmower or weedeater caps?
Unfortunately, once you've overtightened a cap with a scrench a couple times, you HAVE to use one forever on that cap to prevent leaking. Or buy new caps. I've NEVER had a cap leak until AFTER some idiot used a scrench on it.

Brian, i mean it i really don't even deform the plastic on my caps, now they do get small scratchs from the scrench but thats it. i'll post some pic's when my girlfriend gets back latter today if i remember. you are right though you don't really need to tighten them that much.... i just got in the habit of it. whats funny though is i don't do it on my 191T just my dads 021 and my 036:rolleyes:

Ryan,
It isn't the TOP of the cap that gets deformed, it's the seal or o-ring that gets squished out of shape. Once you've squished it too tight a couple times, it won't seal with normal hand-tightening. Then you are resigned to a lifetime of using a scrench to prevent leakage.

I'm not trying to blast anyone here, it's just a real pet peeve of mine that costs me MONEY when others try to 'help' me by filling my saw. :angry:

Brain, no offense taken as you once agian bring up a good point:angel:

I only use a wrench to tighten up the old Stihl caps. After wearing oil and gas and the burns that develop, during a large removal because a dumba$$ groundie did not put the caps on right. An 020 gas cap will vibrate open if not tightened down hard. I never had a problem with any other brand of saw doing that. I guess that is why Stihl redesigned them.

The problem is simple to fix. GAS YOUR OWN SAWS.

I use tool part # 0000-930-0130 and tighten the caps of my customer's caps using my ingersoll 244 impact, just so they will
come back and I can call them an idiot for overtightening
their caps. Sell them a new set of caps and a new scrench
for $34.95 US and tell them not to do it again. I learned this
tactic at Stihl school, a real money maker for a poor local
dealer.
I sleep good at night.
Just kidding, for you new guys.
I have seen a few Stihls that the caps will loosen by themselves
unless you give them a little extra snug. I will be cutting and look
down to see a waterfall coming out of the saw, so I snug them a
little. I love the guys though that use a 3/4 inch breaker bar
to "snug" their bar nuts though. I had a Poulan with the studs/guts pulled through the plastic case last week by a
zealous bar tightener, new saw ruined.
The forum idiot.

I tighten my caps by hand most of the time, but the oil cap some older Jonsereds (like mine) has to be wrenched. It's actually has a hex-head the size of the bar nuts.

Whoever designed that tiny little cap and filler hole never had to use one...

I'm with you all, finger tight doesn't destroy the gaskets. At work they use the scrench and I buy the new caps. I don't complain, though, cause the saws have a picture of the scrench being used and the users are just following directions.

I don't make a habit of using a scrench to tighten down the caps. I instruct my employees to only hand tighten. However, I do have to scrench my 191t gas cap just a little so it won't vibrate loose. It won't leak if I don't scrench it but sometimes it does vibrate loose and "I no like that". Due to the close proximity of the cap to the raised parts of the case (and my gorilla in the mist hands) it is difficult for me to tighten them down very much by hand.

The first time one of those hand tightened caps vibrates open and dumps a full tank of gas all over your crotch, you will be sold on the scrench. Not to mention the old stihl caps are hard to grab with your hand, and even hand tightened oil caps need a screwdriver to open. The new caps have a little flip out handle, which is nice.
Brian, stick a handful of caps in the bottom of your toolbox and start cranking those caps tight, before you get dumped on.

Mike,
I have been dumped on with fuel exactly twice in the last 7 years. Both times were right after trying to teach a groundie how to screw on a gas cap without a screwdriver. :rolleyes: But with patience, understanding and a little high-volume cursing I was finally able to teach both of them how to put on a gas cap. Why is it so frigging difficult? I have no tolerance for stupidity. That includes someone incapable of putting on a gas cap without a scrench (assuming it hasn't been mangled from repeated torquing with the scrench).
Can anyone name another piece of equipment that they need a scrench to fill the gas? Why is it just saws?

If you never use a scrench, you will never NEED to use a scrench. Once you've torqued the cap gasket out of shape with the scrench, you need a scrench forever. Why start?

I tighten by hand, but loosen with wrench. Every once in a while ill get my chaps soaked in gas or bar oil but life goes on right? Who said cutting was clean work?....

Maybe you have smaller hands that make it easier to tighten a 191t. I'm not stupid and I don't like generalizations much. Also remember saws may be similar, not identical. My 191 has vibrated loose from hand only tightening. I agree you shouldn't always use a scrench but there are exceptions to every rule.

Treeclimber,

Although I agree that hand tightening will suffice in most situations you gave an example that is somewhat wrong. You have said several times that you do not think anyone would use a tool to tighten up a gas or oil cap and other piece of equipment. You mentioned a weedeater, lawnmower and I believe boat motor. Now I am no expert but I have never seen one of those pieces of equipment that is designed to have the gas and oil against the cap the majority of the time like chainsaws do. Once again I agree that using a tool to tighten the caps is mostly not necessary but I have to ask if you would hand-tigthen the oil pan plug on your new truck ?

Bill

I've had some weedeaters and blowers that had submerged gas caps. No problem with hand tightening there.

Heck, you can't use a wrench/screwdriver on any of my chainsaws' gas caps. Just a couple have them for the oiler.

Latest posts

Back