overtightened caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a scrench on most of my saws, the XL-12 has such a big cap it's easy to get enough torque on it. If fuel and oil caps are the cost of using a scrench to tightem them I'll pay. I have a friend who was very badly burned as a child, not from a loose chainsaw gas cap but no matter, I'll do what it takes to make sure the flamable stuff stays on the INSIDE of my saws. As to the other equipment issue.....When was the last time you held a running string trimmer over your head? Also the diameter of the fuel caps on my string and hedge trimmers are easily twice that of most of saws.

Originally posted by sedanman
I use a scrench on most of my saws, the XL-12 has such a big cap it's easy to get enough torque on it. If fuel and oil caps are the cost of using a scrench to tightem them I'll pay. I have a friend who was very badly burned as a child, not from a loose chainsaw gas cap but no matter, I'll do what it takes to make sure the flamable stuff stays on the INSIDE of my saws. As to the other equipment issue.....When was the last time you held a running string trimmer over your head? Also the diameter of the fuel caps on my string and hedge trimmers are easily twice that of most of saws.

Aint very often the 066 goes over my head :confused: :confused:

scrench

Anybody have an 029 that was recalled? What does the sticker by the fuel cap say?
If anybody has the new style Stihl cap that leaks, gat it back to a dealer, they should stay dry.

I hand tighten. About half my saws require a tool to loosen the oil cap. I have a couple of saws that leak slightly unfortunately( I need to replace gaskets) I also have a hedger that spews gas out of the vent! I don't use that one much anymore.:rolleyes:

I just wanted to bring this up so that some of you could think about it. There are guys that have always used a scrench from day one and will always use a scrench. But there are others who might think about it and perhaps NOT use a scrench on that brand new saw cap, and will never have to.

Parhaps when using someone else's saws, LOOK at the caps before cramming them on with the scrench. When people do that to MY saws, I cringe. I'm not always in a position to come down out of a tree to refuel my own saws, so I must rely on others.

I have never used a scrench to tighten fuel or oil caps - I have seen many people break caps by using screnches etc. Never had any fuel leak from handtightened caps either, in huskies or stihls. If one needs a scrench to seal the tank, its time to buy a new cap because the seals are obviously gone at that point.

I find that the Husky caps require only finger tight tension, but I always use a bar wrench on the Stihl caps, however you must have a very light touch, just as you would while filing, tensioning chain, or sawing wood. Being hammer fisted with anything results in damage and premature failure, so develope a light touch and things will last longer.
John

Am I drunk or hallucinating?

I can't believe ThunderArkieLux and I actually AGREE on something! :eek:

Hi Otto, no I call it the 10 ft./lb. tickle. I need some front motor mounts for my JD 540A cable skidder. Do you know of any dealers there? I once met some loggers from Calico Arkansas and they said there are lots of skidders in the woods there.
Thanks in advance.
The Wounded Faithful

LOL john, i thought you said you didn't want to overtighten...

Yeah, John Deere and Stihl are the only 3 words some people can speak around some of these parts. You might want to try:

WARRIOR OF ARKANSAS, INC.
3410 S ZERO
FORT SMITH AR 72908
479-646-8381

or

WARRIOR OF ARKANSAS, INC.
11205 MABELVALE WEST RD
MABELVALE AR 72103-1611
501-455-254
(these guys are a bit closer to calico)

tight

John hit ti right on the money. It is the use of the scrench that ruins the cap, it is the guy on the end of it that can't just snug it.
Same guys that break the scrench tightening the bar nuts so the bar doesn't move and loosen the chain.

Hi Otto, thanks for the help. My skidder is so old that JD has uped the price of parts because they have put them all in an antique sort of classification.
Gypo

Gypo,heres an equipment place that usually has older stuff, dont have an e-mail but do have a phone number Suttle Equipment,Dardanelle Ark, 501 229 5700

Latest posts

Back