OWB Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grtrnd1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. First time poster. Need help and honest input. I've had an indoor wood burner all my life. Never went without a winter of cutting, splitting and burning wood. Seeing all theee OWB has me wanting to make the leap. I've read and read and stopped and asked for about 6 months and am ready to make a leap. The problem is, which one? I've asked Nature's Comfort owners and they say nothing but Nature's Comfort. Talked to Central Boiler guys and they say they know guys who wouldn't buy a Nature's Comfort ever again. I know guys who hate Central Boiler. Same way with reading opinions online. Every company says they are the best. I am heating around 1800 square feet and possibly a pool in the summer. I would like hot water hookup to ease electric bills in the winter. My budget isn't much and I know that but my max is 3500. I did fine severe Heatmors, Crown Royals, Natures Comfort and a few Hardy's in that price range. I had my heart set on a 8 year old Hardy wood and coal with brand new grates this year with exchanger and hot water hookup for 2500 but talking to a couple guys at work last night they had be questioning the idea by saying they are very in efficient because air is able to get through the fan and feed the fire when the fan isn't even running and it is a wood hog. My one buddy has a Central Boiler 5036 and says he's burnt 13 truck loads this year. I've burnt 10 so far with my indoor burner. Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Buying used, I'm really not sure. Just make sure there are no leaks! I have a Hardy and love it. When the damper is shut on mine, no air gets to the fire. Sometimes in warmer weather the fire goes out since so air gets to it. It could be a maintenance issue that they have too much air going in. It's not the most efficient, but it's been good to me. I use the domestic water coil in the boiler for our hot water. Works great.

I will say I had a Nature's Comfort that was nothing but problems. Then, the firebox rusted out in only a few years with proper maintenance and water testing. They didn't stand behind the warranty at all, most don't.

With used you have to be extremely careful. I don't think I would ever buy one that has been repaired as usually if there is one leak the chance for more is very good. If you can find a stainless one all the better. As for how much wood you will burn it is going to be very dependent on the quality and condition of your wood. With a standard OWB you can burn wood that is semi seasoned but it will hurt efficiency. Seasoned wood will buy you less use and better burn times. If you came across a reburn unit you will need to burn seasoned wood or you won't be getting the efficiency that the stove was designed for.

Another very important factor is your lines from the OWB to the house. If you are not using something like thermo pex you are just wasting money heating the ground. It's expensive but well worth it and pays for itself.

I run a CB edge 550 and know it is not the best boiler out there. It has been pretty problem free and I maybe have $300 in parts for the 3 years I have run it. For me it came down to having great dealer support 20 minutes away.

I have a Hardy I’ve been using it for 7 years with very little trouble. We heat two houses and heat the hot water for the houses. We use around 10 to 12 cords of wood a year. I’ve replaced the refill float switch 2 times and one door seal. When the fan shuts off there’s no air gets in the stove if it does there’s a door seal bad or the seal on the blower door is bad letting air in. I don’t know anything about the other brands but I would recommend the hardy.

What exactly are you heating with now?

I would not buy a used OWB. Unless you get really lucky your budget might not cut it. You dont want to use anything but the good stuff for underground pipe, and its $10+ per foot.

If your max budget is $3,500 I would forget the idea and keep heating with what you have. Finding something used that has much life left is going to be hard to find. Cost of the in ground lines is not cheap. I spent a lot of money nine years ago buying a Garn because I wanted it to be the only boiler I would ever buy. Nine years later its leaking were the air collar is welded to the burn chamber. The water has been maintained. Going to drain it around May first if it will run that far and see if I can repair it. If it's not repairable I will be done heating with wood. I getting too old to shell out another $10,000 grand for a new one.

Thanks for all the replies. 3500 dollar budget is just for the stove. Not the pex included. Pex will be considered in the summer. I've been told that is where you don't want to skimp. I'll need about 75 feet. I appreciate the honest input. I guess I'm making a road trip to look at a Hardy H5 this weekend. It's supposedly all stainless. I'll look it over real well. Keep you posted. Thanks

Stainless is not the end all to problems. They do crack and repairs are not as easy or cheap. Talk to a local welder that has repaired several. Welder, I hired to repair my 10year old Owb checked it over before he would do any repairs. He had me order rolled 1/4 plate from Nucraft and stove has been in use for 7 years after his repair. Before purchasing new unit, spoke to him about pros and cons of different units.

Sound advice being dished out.

I will say, after 6 years with an OWB, I'd never go back to an inside stove.
Heard good and bad about them all but general maintenance is key.
And yes, Thermo-pex is critical unless you wanna melt snow.

My brother has a Hardy, no troubles.
I've had my CB 5036 for 6 years without a single issue.

Make sure previous owner used rust inhibitor and did water tests.

I am finishing my 18th season on a CB 5648, it has been extremely reliable and no leaks yet. With fairly dry wood it is "load it and forget it" for at least 12 hrs normally. Sometimes with larger chunks I have a bridging issue and the fire will go out. I have a sidearm heat exchanger on a 60 gallon water heater which I have never had to touch. Also have lines going to 2 smaller outbuildings which heat up in minutes when needed. I would like to upgrade to a gassifier to reduce wood usage but going to keep this one until it leaks.

Latest posts

Back