ArboristSite.com Sponsors

OWB Hoss 400 - Manual or Help

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by PrivateParty, Jul 9, 2019.

1. PrivateParty

PrivateParty New Member

We bought a house that came with a fairly recent Hoss 400 (Not an HE unfortunately) that is the primary source of heat.

I grew up with wood stoves and 70's air-tights often serving as the only heat source but I really don't know much of anything about OWB. I've got a thermostat on the wall which I would think handles the blower for the forced air in the house and I assume a pump for the boiler water. Is that about the size of it? Is there an electronically controlled damper/thermostat for the firebox? I saw some long louvers that looked like they might be dampers. I opened the door on the back and saw a handful of electronics but that's seriously as much as I've had time to do.

I'm not even sure tennesseeoutdoorfurnace hands out a paper manual with these things and I certainly haven't found a PDF anywhere. If someone has one I'd love to see it.

Otherwise, a few hard-fast rules might help. Do they run anti-freeze in these? Is there anything I absolutely should or should not do?

Thanks

2. NSMaple1

NSMaple1 Addicted to ArboristSite

There are lots of variables with an install, outside of what a manual might cover. We can't see yours from here, to tell how they did some things. Pictures might help. Some (maybe most?) circulate the water 24/7, some only on demand - not sure we can tell that from pictures. Antifreeze would be an optional thing.

Hard & fast? First would likely be, a very large amount of fairly dry wood ready to go - any ideas how much the prior owner used? Another might be regular (annual?) water testing & treatment to help prevent corrosion.

Donts - don't load the thing plug full and let it smolder all day. Load for the heat demand.

3. PrivateParty

PrivateParty New Member

I went out and glanced at it this morning. What I thought were louvers is just a plate with some angle iron (or square tube) that covers the firebox. Looks like there's a pump and blower, a single control box that's plugged into the 110v, and a smaller box that I'm guessing is for temperature measurement; it has a small wire that disappears up into the top of the furnace. They built a shed around the thing (not the furnace's shed-like enclosure but a three sided building) but unfortunately it's so tight in the back that I can only open the rear door on the furnace a maybe 6-8" and I'm not sure how I'm going to get in there. I'm guessing I'll need to cut a door into the shed.

So Antifreeze is optional since they figure you'll always have it running and it would cost quite a bit to treat a few hundred gallons? Do they figure leaving the pump run will save it in a freeze?

There's a plug at the top on the same level as the outlet pipe, and one slightly lower than that. Is the slightly lower one supposed to be the fluid level?