OWB stack extensions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistergreentree

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey guys...I just installed my shaver 165 and have it on the north side of my house...about 20 feet away from garage side door. Normally the winds are from the west around here and I didn't think I would have a smoke problem with the house. As it turns out this weekend the winds have been from the north east and are blowing smoke right at my house. Well, the wife loves the idea of a warm house this winter and all the hot water she can use, but doesn't like the smoke smell getting into the house.

Long explanation for a simple question...what can I use to extend the chimney say 10-12' up? The stuff at lowe's is in 24" sections and I am not familiar with chimney pipe. I was wondering if a steel pipe the length needed could just be set on top of the existing 16" pipe from the stove and then removed in summer when the system is down.

I guess I am curious as to how high you guys have gone with the stack and what you've used to do it.

thanks everyone

My dealer told me about a guy who uses sections of old street light poles. :rolleyes:

I used six feet of Triple wall

Last year I just had 3.. I put my woodshed pretty close to it..
I would stay with an insulated pipe.. Cold pipes do not draft well most generally.

When you say insulated are you talking about the double walled pipe? I can get those in 3' sections....would 4 of those stacked be stable enough on their own?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous thread...I have no experience with stove pipes :confused:

The only problem with the double or triple wall pipe is it has to go over the shaver pipe, which in turn will cause creosote to run all over the roof,( shaver pipe is 5.5 in. OD and 5 in. ID) been there done that!!!, I put a 4.5 in. OD steel pipe on mine, 10 ft. long, it sets down inside shaver pipe, you can measure up the pipe section 6 to 12 in. drill holes, tap it and screw bolts in for it to rest on, you will have a little gap around it so buy a woodburner door gasket rope and stuff it around it, seals it up nice, I had no problems with it. I also seen in another thread some guy used a tractor trailer smoke stack, I have no problem with the draft, works nice, saves alot of money compared to the triple wall.

My dad got that insulated stuff from our Woodmaster dealer. Works well but is expensive.

The only problem with the double or triple wall pipe is it has to go over the shaver pipe, which in turn will cause creosote to run all over the roof,( shaver pipe is 5.5 in. OD and 5 in. ID) been there done that!!!, I put a 4.5 in. OD steel pipe on mine, 10 ft. long, it sets down inside shaver pipe, you can measure up the pipe section 6 to 12 in. drill holes, tap it and screw bolts in for it to rest on, you will have a little gap around it so buy a woodburner door gasket rope and stuff it around it, seals it up nice, I had no problems with it. I also seen in another thread some guy used a tractor trailer smoke stack, I have no problem with the draft, works nice, saves alot of money compared to the triple wall.

What is the ID of your pipe?

Does Shaver have the correct pipe? Or is there a mfr. name on it? Metalfab probably the largest mfr. My CB came with extra section, makes draft a lot better.

The I.D. of my pipe is 4", and the pipe was free, friend had an old piece laying around, been burning 3 weeks now and no problems.

I got mine from the Heatmore dealer that I bought my OWB from. It was a 36" section. It was a steel pipe that slides over the existing pipe. Wasn't insulated just about .250 thick wall. It is about a foot taller than the eves on my house.:greenchainsaw:

Naive thought?......
I've no experience nor have even seen a live OWB, but isn't the whole point of using double and triple wall chimney's for indoor safety?

If the chimney is already outside, and already 10-12 feet up, or so, I can't see much benefit for the expensive stuff if it isn't going through a roof or close to something combustible.

I think the main reason for using the double wall is that there is less creosote and the pipe will last longer because it is stainless steel. I have 2 3 ft. stainless sections with a guywire support about half way up on my owb. This is the second season with this setup and the pipe looks good still with only minor staining near the top around the cap.

Go buy a $10 house fan and put it on top of your OWB in front of your smoke pipe. Blow the smoke the other way. :)

A hotter stack = less creosote.
A hotter stack = better draft, needed if you don't use a fan.
The 5036 CB with 3 sections (12') drafts like a race horse.:clap:

Update on my last post, exactly one month after putting my extension on, it plugged up with creosote, it plugged up at the point where the extension slid down in the shaver pipe, I took it off and had to use a spud bar to break the creosote loose, fire would not stay lit when the door was shut, I think that it being reduced to 4" ID is what caused the plug up? anyway done with that pipe and back to the double wall 6" galvanized pipe I used for the month and a half I ran it last year. But I heard that the galvanized pipe won't last that long.

Update on my last post, exactly one month after putting my extension on, it plugged up with creosote, it plugged up at the point where the extension slid down in the shaver pipe, I took it off and had to use a spud bar to break the creosote loose, fire would not stay lit when the door was shut, I think that it being reduced to 4" ID is what caused the plug up? anyway done with that pipe and back to the double wall 6" galvanized pipe I used for the month and a half I ran it last year. But I heard that the galvanized pipe won't last that long.

I put a 12' steel pipe on mine about a month ago now too. So far no problems...did you burn any cardboard periodically to get the pipe good and hot? I put some under the stack about every week to week and a half or so to try and keep the creosote down. I read somewhere on this forum that it helps alot. My draft still seems fine so here's to hoping it stays that way!:cheers:

I put a 12' steel pipe on mine about a month ago now too. So far no problems...did you burn any cardboard periodically to get the pipe good and hot? I put some under the stack about every week to week and a half or so to try and keep the creosote down. I read somewhere on this forum that it helps alot. My draft still seems fine so here's to hoping it stays that way!:cheers:

No I did'nt, and the temps here were mild so it probably did produce alot of creosote, but since switching the pipe I have went out to load it early morning (I leave for work about 4am) and twice I've got the big flame show, when I opened the door the wood stoked up and flames would come out the top of the stack, which is burning the creosote off, seems like it is drafting better, don't know if it will keep working but hope so!!!!!!! let me know later if yours is still going good, might switch back and try the cardboard fix

I seem to be plugging up now...I'm going to check things out closer tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure I have a creosote problem with the extended pipe....My fan seems to be running all the time and when I quickly open the door to the stove there isn't much flame at all.

I'll let you know what I find...

Latest posts

Back