OWB urethane foam caught fire - burned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob.blustar

Reaction score
I bought an used older outdoor wood boiler. During the set up, I took off some of the external sheet metal to replace the water temperature gauge. Then I was able to see that 60% of the yellow polyurethane foam insulation and charcoaled, burnt to a crisp. And the stuff that was burned thru was black where it touched the steel water jacket.
I haven't contacted the manufacturer yet about this so I'm not naming them publicly. But I have a feeling they won't do anything because it was bought 3rd hand. And they are a small time manufacturer.
I also think that maybe it was fired without any water in it or it all leaked out of the pipes or pump connection. That's the only way I can think that it got hot enough to burn the polyurethane foam.
What should I replace it with? Rockwool?
Thoughts anyone?
Thanks

Corrections: was charcoaled, burnt to a crisp.
And the stuff that wasn't burnt thru was black where it touched the steel water jacket.

I totally agree with you......was fired without water/lost water.

Rockwool would be a solid choice.

I dont think I would risk buying an older used OWB period, let alone one that has been through that. It could have leaks that caused that to happen for all we know. I would seriously consider cutting losses now.

Latest posts

Back