Ozzy Sugar gum plantasion firewood thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
In the Victoria part (south) of Ozz a lot of firewood comes from plantations of Sugar gun from private land which is planted in rows as wind brakes and then firewood.They are planted together closely to make them grow up and straight and between 15 to 20 years are ready for firewood,when cut in the winter months they will shoot and form dense thick small trees for animal shelter and then firewood again in the years to come.
You can see on the left one shooting that were cut down last year.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice little wood lot Stihlman, your lucky with all this rain you still got good vehicle track to get up close.
Sugar's a great burn but a can be pita to split, always best to do that before it drys. Some of them wood lot rows are quite old a few planted by returned soldiers from WW1 1918.
I see it twas windy on the day, man its been a stiff cold persistent breeze lately.

Will ya get many Bunny's in them paddocks come spring.

Nice little wood lot Stihlman, your lucky with all this rain you still got good vehicle track to get up close.
Sugar's a great burn but a can be pita to split, always best to do that before it drys. Some of them wood lot rows are quite old a few planted by returned soldiers from WW1 1918.
I see it twas windy on the day, man its been a stiff cold persistent breeze lately.

Will ya get many Bunny's in them paddocks come spring.

The weather has been very windy here as well (westerly) but been using that to owh advantage felling outside the leaners to the west.
Havnt got to the bunny part yet just happy with the wood for the moment.
Have had problems before with plantasions along the rock walls,they dont like getting them damaged,there a bit harder to fix than a wire fence.

Have had problems before with plantasions along the rock walls,they dont like getting them damaged,there a bit harder to fix than a wire fence.

You mean them hand made dry stone walls of the western districts ? Hard to fix sure,,, but imaging how they was built, man they go on for miles, kinda are like the pyramids of OZ when you think how they used horse n cart to quarry transport and hand build rock walls 4 foot high for miles and miles.

You mean them hand made dry stone walls of the western districts ? Hard to fix sure,,, but imaging how they was built, man they go on for miles, kinda are like the pyramids of OZ when you think how they used horse n cart to quarry transport and hand build rock walls 4 foot high for miles and miles.

I think a lot of the Italian prisoners of war had a lot to do with building them walls,when ya have a good look at them its amazing how well they are built.

Ya mate thats not my ute,i have a set of Firestone air ballows under my ute and they work a treat,i have a copressor and tank with controls in side the ute and can adjust up and down as i wont.;)

Top timbers to burn in my area are grey (& white) box and yellow box followed at distance by any of the dry hill dwelling gums. It is about minus two degrees outside now and chilling quickly and I have loaded up the old Heat Charm with rock hard seasoned grey box. Almost time for a nip of Rutherlen port. Just love deep winter.:)

P7270849.jpg

But, I will burn just about anything!

1498.jpg

Al.

Last edited:
Good work mate. Saw sounds a tad rich though :)

Top 3 rated or top 3 used?

Ya that was the Snellerized 660 on its forth tank.

Around here sugar gum #1, Redgum #2 if can find it or buye it,then theres what most poeple call bush wood Stringbark,Peppermint,Messmate #3.

I was supprised to see Blue gum up the chart that far.

I was surprised to see casuarina so high up. Unless that's something different to what I'm thinking of as a casuarina. When I think casuarina, I think long needles, and oval shaped slightly spiky fruit. We cut them down reasonably often but I never thought to keep one for firewood, just put them in the same basket as conifers and figured they were only good for chipping.

Shaun

I was surprised to see casuarina so high up. Unless that's something different to what I'm thinking of as a casuarina. When I think casuarina, I think long needles, and oval shaped slightly spiky fruit. We cut them down reasonably often but I never thought to keep one for firewood, just put them in the same basket as conifers and figured they were only good for chipping.

Shaun

Yeah it depends where the Casuarinas have been grown Shaun. I've cut some in low rainfall areas where they have grown slowly and they are bloody hard yet the younger ones I dropped on that corporate farm were relatively soft. The older they got the harder they got.

As much as the redgum, redbox, greybox, yellowbox perform well in heat output, around here those species are creating alot of ash due to the fact that they are basically only present in granite areas. What I burn and sell here is mostly peppermint with the occasional load of stringy. I'm getting 11-12hrs out a heater loaded up of peppermint and heat output is excellent. It's plentiful, easy on the chain/saw and splits very easily. The performance of peppermint surprises alot of diehard box users.

Sad it before, well I will say it again, alway's respected the Aussie's! A rugge'd, and hearty breed. Nice thread, and pic's. Bluegum is really popular around here, but we don't have the Euc selection you guy's do. I burne'd it for the first time last winter, and was impresse'd, but that is my experience with Euc, just that. Madrone is hard to beat. I like tan oak, easy nas hell to split, I burn pepperwood, mostly Oak, and blue gum I guess anymore,because of where I work. We stock pile wood from the county road storm's. I mix in douglas fir when I can. Been in some nice madrone lately.

Back