Ozzy Sugar gum plantasion firewood thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been cutting wood again as you do this time running in(its on its third tank) the new MS441CRM-Tronic Ported saw in some Stringybark 20'' bar Carlton full chisel chain and a 8 pin sprocket.I am very impressed with this saw so far,its amasing how it tunes itself in the cut as you apply more or less pressure if this system is here to stay then bring on the MS661.
If you wont to know more about this saw go to
http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/183178.htm

203423d1318994065-picture-211189-jpg

[video=youtube;nHcC5X0flGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHcC5X0flGA[/video]

Last edited:
The throttle response seems pretty good for a new m-tronic saw Andrew - how do you find it?

Last edited:
The throttle response seems pretty good for a new m-tronic saw Andrew - how do you find it?

Remember that this saw has had it's butt worked over pretty hard Rudy ;) Although the only M-Tronic saw I have used did indeed impress me with it's throttle response bone stock.

My mate has just got a new tipper tandem trailer 10' x 5 ' 3.2 ton load capacity we have been bringing what we call sticks home to cut on the bench saw.

[video=youtube;1zL6Q9bUTSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zL6Q9bUTSk[/video]

My mate has just got a new tipper tandem trailer 10' x 5 ' 3.2 ton load capacity we have been bringing what we call sticks home to cut on the bench saw.

[video=youtube;1zL6Q9bUTSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zL6Q9bUTSk[/video]

Nice trailer mate. Out of interest what are the trailer's specs for it to handle a 3.2 tonne load? Electric brakes? This would give it a gross limit of somewhere above 4.2 tonne (I'd think the nett trailer weight would be around 1-1.2 tonne?). Reason I ask is that the hydraulic tipper assembly adds a fair bit of weight and I'm thinking that the only thing that could legally tow a 3.2 tonne load plus the trailer is a light truck. I also know because I've been quoting around and to get that sort of load capacity takes a fair few expensive bits and pieces. The 3 tonne rated trailer I priced was over $7,200 and apart from maybe an F250? the only thing that could legally tow it was a light truck. Even the new Rangers with a 3.5 tonne capacity couldn't legally tow that gross weight in South Australia. When I told the trailer manufacturer in Adelaide that I wanted a trailer rated for a 3 tonne load with a standard 50mm ball hitch they laughed at me (standard 50mm ball hydraulic override assembly only rated at 2500kg). What I actually meant was that I wanted the trailer to be able to "handle" 3 tonne, not be legally on road rated for 3 tonne load :(
I see it's got the 6 stud rims so presume it's got the Cruiser bearings and 50mm axle?
After seeing your Falcon loaded up I'm not sure if Victoria actually has a legal load limit :D Heh heh.

Nice trailer mate. Out of interest what are the trailer's specs for it to handle a 3.2 tonne load? Electric brakes? This would give it a gross limit of somewhere above 4.2 tonne (I'd think the nett trailer weight would be around 1-1.2 tonne?). Reason I ask is that the hydraulic tipper assembly adds a fair bit of weight and I'm thinking that the only thing that could legally tow a 3.2 tonne load plus the trailer is a light truck. I also know because I've been quoting around and to get that sort of load capacity takes a fair few expensive bits and pieces. The 3 tonne rated trailer I priced was over $7,200 and apart from maybe an F250? the only thing that could legally tow it was a light truck. Even the new Rangers with a 3.5 tonne capacity couldn't legally tow that gross weight in South Australia. When I told the trailer manufacturer in Adelaide that I wanted a trailer rated for a 3 tonne load with a standard 50mm ball hitch they laughed at me (standard 50mm ball hydraulic override assembly only rated at 2500kg). What I actually meant was that I wanted the trailer to be able to "handle" 3 tonne, not be legally on road rated for 3 tonne load :(
I see it's got the 6 stud rims so presume it's got the Cruiser bearings and 50mm axle?
After seeing your Falcon loaded up I'm not sure if Victoria actually has a legal load limit :D Heh heh.

Get yourself an F-450 Matt, then you can tow up to 12 tonne ;) but you will probably need to register it as a prime mover haha.

F-250's can be setup to tow up to 4.5 tonnes.

What is the snag with SA laws concerning a 3.5 tonne gross trailer, i thought it was legal?

trailers to 4500KG

Just Trailers - Tandem Trailers

If the motor vehicle manufacturer has not specified a maximum towing capacity or it cannot be identified, the
following is taken to be the maximum towing capacity for the purposes of the above:

one and a half times the unladen mass of the motor vehicle if the trailer is fitted with brakes

Typical approved couplings for light trailers are:
• 50 mm ball couplings for trailers with an ATM up to 2300 kg;
• heavy duty 50 mm ball couplings for trailers with an ATM up to 3500 kg; and
• pintle hook couplings for trailers with an ATM up to 4500 kg.

Last edited:
Get yourself an F-450 Matt, then you can tow up to 12 tonne ;) but you will probably need to register it as a prime mover haha.

F-250's can be setup to tow up to 4.5 tonnes.

What is the snag with SA laws concerning a 3.5 tonne gross trailer, i thought it was legal?

A local rich and very large farmer has an F650! That thing is a beast. It is also registered as a light truck and for good reason - in fact it would probably classify as a Medium Rigid :) I've only seen it once when he parked at the local McDonalds. He's only a little bloke and this thing is huge. He also has a Lamborghini Diablo as well. Funny thing is he has a few km of dirt and rocky tracks before he even sees bitumen and he drives his Diablo over it. He's a really nice bloke too...

Just Trailers - Tandem Trailers

If the motor vehicle manufacturer has not specified a maximum towing capacity or it cannot be identified, the
following is taken to be the maximum towing capacity for the purposes of the above:

one and a half times the unladen mass of the motor vehicle if the trailer is fitted with brakes

Typical approved couplings for light trailers are:
• 50 mm ball couplings for trailers with an ATM up to 2300 kg;
• heavy duty 50 mm ball couplings for trailers with an ATM up to 3500 kg; and
• pintle hook couplings for trailers with an ATM up to 4500 kg.

some of those boats with triple axles trailers must weigh a bit too:msp_scared:

The 10' x 5' tandem trailer I got a quote on came to 975kg nett with cage. I did specify a heavier floor and extra bracing underneath though so I wouldn't cave the floor in if I threw a big log in it :) A mate of mine works for SA Water and they have a single axle tipper that all by itself weighs 800kg. They tow it with the Landcruiser utes though and she ain't no ordinary single axle either. A 10' x 5' tandem tipper would weigh a fair bit if carrying a 3.2 tonne load. She'd be a beast and as mentioned apart from an F250 no car class vehicle would be rated for it. I think even the SA Water Landcruisers that have been beefed up are rated for a 3.5 tonne max towing capacity and that's only with electric brakes. Other states may vary, I'm not sure?

Oh and as far as the 50mm couplings I didn't mean the ball itself - you can get 3500kg electric brake assemblies or up to 2500kg hydraulic override assemblies as far as I'm aware. When I asked about a 50mm ball and a 3 tonne load rating they quoted me with a nylon block setup as they told me there isn't a 50mm ball hydraulic override with that high of a rating. Not the ball but the mechanism itself.

Last edited:
A local rich and very large farmer has an F650! That thing is a beast. It is also registered as a light truck and for good reason - in fact it would probably classify as a Medium Rigid :) He also has a Lamborghini Diablo as well...

[snip]

The lambo would sure make a nice farm car :D

It might pay to get a light truck with tipper, I used to use one and she carried quite a few tonnes (on the farm).

The lambo would sure make a nice farm car :D

It might pay to get a light truck with tipper, I used to use one and she carried quite a few tonnes (on the farm).

This guy has all the toys including a blown big block Camaro drag car and a swag of Harleys.

A truck with tipper is a good idea in a lot of cases but then you ideally need something to load it with. A lot of the landscape guys are running tippers with a Bobcat on a trailer tagging behind. With a fork setup they'd be a great pair for grabbing wood. A mate who has a Bobcat reckons he can lift just over a tonne into his tipper - I don't think they are rated to lift that amount though...
I often weigh up what I'd buy if I won the lottery and a truck and Bobcat would be on the list. I heard you have to buy a ticket first though so that ruined the dream :(

This guy has all the toys including a blown big block Camaro drag car and a swag of Harleys.

A truck with tipper is a good idea in a lot of cases but then you ideally need something to load it with. A lot of the landscape guys are running tippers with a Bobcat on a trailer tagging behind. With a fork setup they'd be a great pair for grabbing wood. A mate who has a Bobcat reckons he can lift just over a tonne into his tipper - I don't think they are rated to lift that amount though...
I often weigh up what I'd buy if I won the lottery and a truck and Bobcat would be on the list. I heard you have to buy a ticket first though so that ruined the dream :(

Yes that would be a nice combo, bobcats are very handy and their tipping load is usually well over a tonne but "capacity" is usually only 30-50% of tipping load. The wheeled skid steers are really only useful if the area is nice and flat - no suspension and almost solid tyres is not so friendly on your back. Tracks I find are much betterer and some have suspension which is a bonus. They also go anywhere.

This is my ideal firewood vehicle (Mercedes Benz Unimog), just need to do some more saving lol. front PTO winch, 3 point linkage, rear PTO, air brakes and can tow up to 20T. It can do just about everything a tractor, truck, ute can do and is a serious off roader :msp_biggrin:

attachment.php

After seeing your Falcon loaded up I'm not sure if Victoria actually has a legal load limit :D Heh heh.[/QUOTE]

Dont know much more than it has 4 wheel electric brakes and 6 stud Cruiser rims and 50 mm axles and he toes it with a cruiser.:msp_smile:

Back