P.O.S.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm doing some community service work at a local state park. No, I'm not in trouble. It's for GM. Any way, they ask if anyone knew how to run a chainsaw. So I said that I did. They had a 2' diameter Locust log to be cut up. The state worker had 3 chainsaws to choose from, an old small Stihl, a POS Homelite,and a small old Husky. They were all dull as can be and cutting was near impossible. The worker said that he had i more big saw in the shed. I told him to get it. He came back with a Husky 3120 with a 50" bar. This is the biggest chainsaw that I've every seen. Too bad it wouldn't start!

I think its funny how these places always seem to have dull chain. These maintenance guys seem to cut more soil than wood. I could kind of picture this. There is 10 guys, 5 chainsaws, one behemith saw, 6 dull chains, 2 saws that actually run and one little 2" tree. Very comical!!! Hope you got it down. Oh yeah, was there a big truck and tow rope, too pull it out too?HAHA

Ya, and don't forget the chains on those saws are hanging down 2" from the bars, there are 3 different pitches to the chains, and the two file that are on-site are dull. We're in production mode now!

There's so much to see in this world, its a wonder I can still drive in a straight line for looking at the way the rest of the world lives and works.

Habby Easter.

LMAO Big D and John! I spent 3 years working for a local municipality, and unfortunately there is too much truth in your humor. Dull saws and/or dull files have always been one of my biggest pet peeves. Too many guys think the bar has 'Ditch Witch' printed on the side. Then they want to use your $600 038Magnum cause they dulled the little saw to the point it won't cut!

i dont mind that so much as when something that can be done with a hand saw winds up gettin done with an 066 magnum with the 3' bar. that pisses me off. or they just wanna try the saw and something smaller that works just fine would do, but it is their mission in life to dull out all of your saws. that is their mission.

DitchWitch - I like that - can I use that line? ;)

As a rule, I try to discourage anyone from looking sideways at my saws specifically, and equipment in general. I usually say that I will come by and help them with their small project. If it is just a small project, it usually takes me less time to do it than to earn enuff money to repair the damaged equipment that results from them trying to do their own work. If its a bigger job, they usually hire me, so I win.

I won't let anyone use the 036 or bigger saws - there is too much power in those for inexperienced people, including my brother, to work with - things will happen too fast and too deep.

DitchWitch - I'm still giggling, and I read it two weeks ago, and again today.

the only saws that i will let other peopel besides my dad are my 2 super 2's that i have. all of the other bigin's that i have only me and my dad are allowed to run. i prefer that cause i have to do all of the matience on them and i don't want anyone grinding rocks with my chains or worse. like dropping a tree on one or getting hurt. but the nature center roudn the coner from me bought a 044 sthil with a 24" bar and they got it all together and had to come get me to see what was wrong with it cause it was not cutting worth a damn. the brian childs had the chain on backwards. just gotta love the power of stupid people in large groups.

Back