Pacific Energy Summit - Any Recent Experience?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sledge&wedge

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been a long time since I posted here... Was a long-time lurker, was pretty active for a while, and now just occasionally browse through. Believe it or not, I still remembered my password on the first try.

I'm looking at replacing my Buck Model 81 (great stove, love it and will be moving it from the living room to my barn for use out there) and have a quote on a Pacific Energy Summit freestanding pedestal model w/blower installed at ~$2900. Plain black, no frills. I found a lot of old threads with some good info and pretty good reviews/opinions of the stove in general, but just wanted to see if there are any recent experiences or and/or prices floating around out there that I can compare with.

Anybody have one? Like it or not? Price seem reasonable? Any quirks or concerns you'd pass on to a neighbor if you heard they were looking at them?

I have a PE product. It's a Super 27 freestanding stove and it's been heating my 2000 sq ft home in Iowa for over 20 yrs. I have been extremely satisfied. I dont have any experience, however, with the Summit, but think the brand is good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Had a PE Super in my old house; we heated a1000 sq. ft ranch with the stove in the basement, with oil heat backup. It worked out so well, I bought a new Summit when we moved to a larger log home. Ten years now and I've been really pleased with it. PE Summit in the basement does the lion's share of the work. Normally once we light that (November usually) its going nonstop through March. Smaller soapstone unit in the living room takes the chill off in the shoulder months and helps out on the Summit on colder days.

Been burning a PE FP30 for 6 years. Its basically a Summit in a metal box. Burns hot and clean, no complaints. The PE removable and durable baffle is a big advantage over similar EPA type stoves. Also I have not been replacing the rear baffle gasket as I don't believe it does much. Door / glass gaskets and components look like will last for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I had a summit insert in our last home for 3 years and was very happy. 10-12 hour burn times, tons of heat, and a baffle that is very easy to remove for cleaning. Our new home we went with a Kuma stove.

I've been using the largest Alderlea (I think the same firebox as Summit but wrapped in a cast iron shell) for 8 yrs to heat my 2400 ft2 house. I think the stove itself was nearly $2000. No blower needed - convection distributes the heat silently and for free. I recommend a thick masonry floor extending at least 2 ft in front of the stove to catch all the radiant heat from the glass door.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm planning to move forward with the purchase at this point.

@esean - Understand on the blower, but I'll need one. Due to some code issues in the previous masonry chase install I will have to put my stove in a reduced clearance alcove instead of a full freestanding unit in the middle of the room. That will eat up a lot of radiant heat. I have about 3" of concrete poured for a floor pad and am going to add two rows of 12" ceramic tile in front of that as an additional buffer between the stove and the hardwood floor in my living room.

Back