Pacific Northwest GTG dates for 2016

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hit the wrong button. Oh well! Above are pics of our GTG fun. Some of the action from torinocobra testing the 2130 gas saw to tec inspectors looking over the New In Box 58cc Silner! (China). Been 3 great days so far with the "DRONES" doing in the big logs and the smaller stuff getting done by the more ZIPPY saws from the 90's. Today the nitro saws come out! (More what I like) Stay tuned!

Part of the set up, Bob (Gologit) and "T" making their inspection

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4953.JPG

Janie Mae cleaning off some of the big logs, don't want to dull those chains with the rock and dirt in the bark you know.

IMG_4955.JPG

Kevin (Kschmuck), Bob (Farley9n) and Jim (Paso Roblos Jim) looking on.

IMG_4956.JPG

After a passing shower, Patty (Slowp) melted completely away, nothing left but her hat and jacket.

IMG_4957.JPG

Wouldn't be a GTG without some cooking fires.

IMG_4958.JPG

Or just plain fire...
IMG_4959.JPG

Or a very special fire.

IMG_5053.JPG

"T" showing how to handle a hot saw

IMG_5057.JPG

Mark

There are a few saws as well. I brought a few little ones...

IMG_4960.JPG

Don (Sawfun) brought a truckload of big ones. Why is "T" standing there looking on in every photo with a beverage in his hand???

IMG_4964.JPG

I think these were part of the haul Nate (Mad Hatte) brought, not the same ones he will be taking home.

IMG_4978.JPG

Fraser (Pac City) brought a few as well.

IMG_4979.JPG

And here we have Fraser & Son lumber company in it's early development.

IMG_5020.JPG

Bob provided a NIB Chinese "professional gasoline chain saw, very powerful) for a project.

IMG_5018.JPG

IMG_5021.JPG

IMG_5022.JPG

Comes with everything you will need to keep it going for "long long time"

IMG_5023.JPG

It did start, run, and cut, but Nate and Heffelump decided the chain needed touching up. The chain box said Stihl and the chain links are stamped Stihl but the grind on the teeth looked suspicious. A couple of minutes with the Timberline jig and we were making chips.

IMG_5033.JPG

IMG_5035.JPG

Certainly new year everyone will want to bring their own modified "sliner" for the big money competition.

Mark

Chainsaw Jim brought is two carburetor 064 saw. The run I saw was pretty impressive.

IMG_5011.JPG

IMG_5015.JPG

Girls were getting into the action as well.

IMG_5005.JPG

For any successful GTG you must have some serious technical sessions. Sheldon and Louis discuss which end is up.

IMG_4971.JPG

Brian, Fraser, and others discussing the damage so far.

IMG_5003.JPG

Just for scale, Bob at 6'7" shows the kind of logs we are cutting.

IMG_4968.JPG

Everyone is having fun.

IMG_5043.JPG

Mark

Bob provided a NIB Chinese "professional gasoline chain saw, very powerful) for a project.

View attachment 507913

View attachment 507914

View attachment 507915

Comes with everything you will need to keep it going for "long long time"

View attachment 507916

It did start, run, and cut, but Nate and Heffelump decided the chain needed touching up. The chain box said Stihl and the chain links are stamped Stihl but the grind on the teeth looked suspicious. A couple of minutes with the Timberline jig and we were making chips.

View attachment 507917

View attachment 507918

Certainly new year everyone will want to bring their own modified "sliner" for the big money competition.

Mark
Mark,

I asked my very good friend in China translate the labels on that saw. Very interesting, it is advertised as "imported" in China which to them means high quality.

Here are my good friends words exactly.

1) 斯林尔 is a Brand name, transliteration of the brand "SLINER", I guess they gave this product an English brand name " SLINER" at first, then do transliteration to Chinese 斯林尔 ;

The brand name is intersting, Normally, Many Chinese manufacturer give his product an English brand name, because in Chinese people mind, a product with English name maybe USA or Europe design or made, means high quality.

2) “超级 启动” means super easy to start.

Also the Chinese manufacturer described on his web that the key components of this Chain saw(such as the saw) was imported, with high quality. In China import often means high quality.

Maybe you have a Husky! [emoji6]

Brian

Brian

More fun today, weather was especially nice.

"T" got it started early; Don, Luis, and almost Sheldon enjoying some morning time around the fire.

IMG_5058.JPG

Adjust the ports, change the timing, modify the carburetor, and it will really be something.

IMG_5063.JPG

Kevin really likes his new 562 XPW

IMG_5064.JPG

Here's one you don't get to see everyday.

IMG_5065.JPG

Cuts wood pretty well too.

IMG_5066.JPG

Mark

One of my favorite saws at this GTG was Sheldon's beautifully restored 2100 Homelite. With 1/2" pitch square chisel chain it was a handful.

IMG_4985.JPG

IMG_4986.JPG

Don making chips fly with the Solo 611 Twin.

IMG_4982.JPG

Honest John putting the BP-1 in some wood.

IMG_5037.JPG

Heffelump getting a lesson in how to break down the big ones.

IMG_5046.JPG

Mark

Kicking logs and taking names.

IMG_5067.JPG

Sheldon's friend Luis was a hoot as well as a treasure trove of knowledge and experience.

IMG_4984.JPG

GTG's are more that just saws, how about people eating vintage Ford trucks?

IMG_4961.JPG

Climbing experience.

IMG_5077.JPG

Cooking and eating. I really enjoyed Brian and Janie's smoked turkey, Don's cowboy caviar, Clydine's meatballs, and whoever made the chili/beans. Patty also made a pie, and a pound cake with the Dutch oven and charcoal. The pound cake (half kilo cake for some) was so popular she had to make a second.

IMG_5078.JPG

Brownies are also every popular with everyone attending.

IMG_4973.JPG

Thanks again to Bob, Shannon, "T", Stephanie, Jason, Wayne, Doug, Sheldon, and everyone else that had a part in putting this together. I am already making plans for a return trip next year with more saws and maybe the BP-399T to wake the neighbors.

Mark

So I'm a little slow, and my readin ain't the best............but after enjoying the great pictures, uh...........did I miss a date for the next pnw gtg or is it a once a year occasion? Looked like a hoot with some very neat toys, well played ladies and gents!

IMG_00001704.jpg
From left to right; Sawfun, Farley9N, me, TorinoCobra (Don, Bob, still me, and Sheldon.)

IMG_00001705.jpg
The sleeper of the day belonged to Chainsaw Jim. This is a 357 with a 272 jug, MS460 piston, MS360 muffler, ported, squished, muff-modded, and tuned just right. It's light, handy, crazy-strong, and stupid-fast in the cut. Jim, do you do commissioned work? How much for one of these?

View attachment 508298
From left to right; Sawfun, Farley9N, me, TorinoCobra (Don, Bob, still me, and Sheldon.)

View attachment 508299
The sleeper of the day belonged to Chainsaw Jim. This is a 357 with a 272 jug, MS460 piston, MS360 muffler, ported, squished, muff-modded, and tuned just right. It's light, handy, crazy-strong, and stupid-fast in the cut. Jim, do you do commissioned work? How much for one of these?

Thank you for posting the pic and making mention if it! It was a fun build and I'm definitely into building a few more of them.

There are a few saws as well. I brought a few little ones...

View attachment 507904

Don (Sawfun) brought a truckload of big ones. Why is "T" standing there looking on in every photo with a beverage in his hand???

View attachment 507905

I think these were part of the haul Nate (Mad Hatte) brought, not the same ones he will be taking home.

View attachment 507906

Fraser (Pac City) brought a few as well.

View attachment 507910

And here we have Fraser & Son lumber company in it's early development.

View attachment 507912
what Husky has a blue top cover?

Brian

I was absolutely amazed by Sheldon's 2100 @torinocobra. Not only the appearance but it roared like nothing I've ever heard. I don't know that I've ever seen a faster saw in that size of wood.

I got a turn with that baby as well. Compared to the Mac125 I ran, I felt the Homie was better balanced, and I could lean on it harder in the cut.

Per @torinocobra , it was Don's (@sawfun 's) MasterMinded 090 that was the baddest mama-jama on the lot. I didn't get to run that one, but I did watch Luis one-hand that baby like it was a pu$$y-cat....

@Farley9n ,

I'm giving up on waiting for my final upload posting to add in my gratitude....as I'm tired of waiting....

Thank you for hosting this fantastic event year after year. You and your family work hard to bring people together in a fun and wholesome manner. That is something to be proud of, and to which the rest of us should aspire. Your kindness, generosity, and hospitality are the stuff of legend. Should this continue into 2017, my wife and I will most definitely be back!

Latest posts

Back